Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok headbut, so I suck at this game. Correct! Part of the Sydney hospital minted its first sovereign on june 23 1855. I made it to easy? Show me how to play this game Mr headbut! Give us a ripper!

Well there were a couple of things that occurred. Not sure how or if any affected the Sovereign price.

*John Howard defeated Paul Keating and was voted in as Prime Minister
*Port Arthur massacre and the subsequent gun control laws
*Bill Clinton visits Australia
*The Wiggles release their 6th album

Cant find the exact figure , but think was 91,000 sovereigns, which a lot were Australian minted , so flooded the market as all were in high condition, as sea water did not affect them

Thanks Headbut .
There are surely few golden coins that tell as compelling a story - steeped in the intrigue of her glamorous yet deeply tragic history - as those recovered from the wreck of the 'RMS Douro' in July 1996.
After two years of arduous research and searching - following the trail of many others before him - Sverker Hallstrom finally found the elusive wreck. With the help of his partner, the salvage vessel 'Deep Sea Worker', her precious cargo was lifted up from a depth of 1, 200 feet below the ocean's surface.

Her glittering treasure, which had rested undisturbed for 114 years on the muddy sea bed, was found to comprise several gold bars and a sizeable quantity of gold Sovereigns (mostly dating from the reign of Queen Victoria).

Ok here's one of those couple of degrees of separation deals....

What is a link between :-
Cyril Callister , The man who invented Vegemite,
And
Squizzy Taylor the Gangster

Squizzy stole Fred Walker (manufactorer of Vegemite's) brand new card to 'do errands'.

Kylie got it :)

Well done and welcome to the forum.

The first thing Fred knew about his missing Stutz was when he got a phone call from the gangster at his South Melbourne office. Squizzy told him he needed the car for an errand and taken it to St Kilda, and he could now pick it up at his convenience.
Fred told him he would do no such thing and politely asked that the vehicle be returned to his factory immediately. He assured him that if this request was expedited, he would refrain from contacting the police. Squizzy promptly returned the Stutz and Fred - being a man of his word but no fool - waited until he had left the premises before calling the constabulary.

Fred Walker was Cyril's boss at Kraft Walker ( Later just Kraft) so that is the link.

Well done Kylie

Your turn.

Argh, I'm no good at asking questions;

What ship was known as the Floating Brothel? (I'm really into convict history)

(I'm nugget's wife btw ;) )

Latest posts