AtomRats Detector Findings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this was a quick park run before a doctors appt

$11.11

1447291121_14472909627321.jpg

What a fun day this one was, stumbling across a ground full of prizes! Oh what's that! Silver shilling! I still have to return to this spot. No ones detected there at all and I can't wait to see the spill I get from it. To prevent a mass of damage to an area at once, I take my time and wait weeks before rturning to clear more, which gives the grass a chance to grow comfortably again leaving full vegitation and zero damage. I'm sure you can tell its popularity from the pull tabs and how many years the ground has been left for ;) the brass base of the shotgun shell must have been there for many years too

$0.50c
1914 hapenny and 1946 shilling

One of those handmade copper rings as well by the looks of it too

1447291614_14472909855253.jpg

1447291634_14472909735232.jpg

1447291656_14472909929454.jpg

Detecting a local park and met with littlenugget on his way home from work and ge got to have a swing with my detectors too for a while. Instantly hooked of course ;) I guess the neighbour electrician finds it funny to toss his spare screws all over the place in children's playgrounds.

Gold plated rose brooch is kind of cool

$2.20

1447292024_14472910021215.jpg

1447292042_14472910101356.jpg

1447292060_14472910176737.jpg

..and then there's last year..but we don't want to see that do we ;)

1447292707_14472925915550.jpg

( note the lack of gold dollar coins. There was a point last year I was detecting to survive and feed myself )

That's all the bags I've found so far. I know there's more, there's things I havnt seen yet show up. Ill keep the topic as active or up to date as I can but will probably throw in a few finds from past random times too. I really appreciate the comments, thanks guys, and I hope you enjoy :)

Questions? Lol

AR you sure have a nice collection, i wouldn't be able to help myself, all those old coins would be soaking in olive oil and the silvers would be cleaned with bicarb, since i've done it with all of mine the missus and myself are always looking at them and wondering about their history, my wife commented last night while watching Galipoli 'I wonder if those coins we have (pre WW1) were once owned or handled by some of the diggers that were and still are there'. I've also been playing around with electrolysis with old crusty decimal coins and it seems to work really well but not really sure about doing it on the pre decs' (although I want too :eek: ). Keep you eye out for that 30 penny :p

Havinago said:
AR you sure have a nice collection, i wouldn't be able to help myself, all those old coins would be soaking in olive oil and the silvers would be cleaned with bicarb, since i've done it with all of mine the missus and myself are always looking at them and wondering about their history, my wife commented last night while watching Galipoli 'I wonder if those coins we have (pre WW1) were once owned or handled by some of the diggers that were and still are there'. I've also been playing around with electrolysis with old crusty decimal coins and it seems to work really well but not really sure about doing it on the pre decs' (although I want too :eek: ). Keep you eye out for that 30 penny :p
I attempted cleaning a couple coppers and failed. They were soo clean I couldn't make out the picture anymore as they had pits all over too. Very wet n moist here and the copper gets sucked from the coins corroding them pretty bad

Geez AR, you sure have been cleaning up those parks of small trash, I think you deserve a big chunky gold or platinum ring for your efforts, hopefully soon mate. Is that skull ring silver? It looks great. :D

Heatho said:
Geez AR, you sure have been cleaning up those parks of small trash, I think you deserve a big chunky gold or platinum ring for your efforts, hopefully soon mate. Is that skull ring silver? It looks great. :D
This is all mostly playgrounds mate, I've barely even touched the grass yet :lol:

Skull ring is pewter..cheap. probably from one of those egg dispencer things

Tumbling does work well, especially on those copper pre-decimals that are covered in coin cancer. You can leave them as is, though the oxidation will simply get worse over time, so can't hurt giving them a tumble. As for the crappier silvers, I haven't run any through the tumbler as yet, though might pay to try a few different abrasives to see how they affect those coins (aquarium gravel, walnut husks, SS shot).

Electrolysis is really only good on the full silvers, it tends to ruin the 50% silvers due to the mixed copper content. :)

Goldpick said:
Tumbling does work well, especially on those copper pre-decimals that are covered in coin cancer. You can leave them as is, though the oxidation will simply get worse over time, so can't hurt giving them a tumble. As for the crappier silvers, I haven't run any through the tumbler as yet, though might pay to try a few different abrasives to see how they affect those coins (aquarium gravel, walnut husks, SS shot).

Electrolysis is really only good on the full silvers, it tends to ruin the 50% silvers due to the mixed copper content. :)

I use aquarium gravel, hot water just enough to cover the coins and dash of Jiff.
Karl

Just a little preview of a place I dug today looking for coins spills close to a now buried pool site. Dozer has shifted a lot and didn't get much other than three 2 cent coins and cans, not worth showin. Bad quality video I know but ya still get to see something!

1447470790_14474677454970.jpg

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbH8VgWEf8[/video]

I just thought for a second..geeze..i filmed digging a big hole for such a small coin.., but now I remember I thought I had two targets close to each other and ping-ponged a little, so ddon't worry, my holes are standardly a quarter the size of what the vid shows. Cheers for the likes! When I'm done here ill post the old photo of the pool

AtomRat said:
Just a little preview of a place I dug today looking for coins spills close to a now buried pool site. Dozer has shifted a lot and didn't get much other than three 2 cent coins and cans, not worth showin. Bad quality video I know but ya still get to see something!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3111/1447470790_14474677454970.jpg

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbH8VgWEf8[/video]

Hey AtomRat

It is very good to hear your voice mate

Latest posts