Never seen this before in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Mate wanted a pick hand today so went out mid morning and trekked out to an out of the way spot. Started on the West end of a reef line and worked back toward the East.

Had a quick bite and chatting away when we both heard a strange sound. Sat quiet for a minute or two and could hear something moving beyond the tree line, but couldnt spot it.

Packed up lunch, and drove up a bit further. Started having a bit of a swing and above the detectors we could hear the sound again. Switched off the detectors and we decided to have a look.

As we made our way up the next hill from the gully the sound become a bit clearer as we got closer. My mate was the first to figure it.

He said "Sounds like an emu."

Sure enough as we got closer heres old mate Emu, strutting around. We drew in closer for a bit better look, big bugger, and getting more vocal. As we crossed over the costean here was the reason we'd been given the shove off signal.

There on the ground were 7 eggs in a cluster, and tbh it made my day seeing them there. Retreated out of there after taking a quick snap to let nature do its thing.

Only one other time have I spotted an emu out in the bush wild, with a bit of luck in a few weeks there will be a few more.
1595142968_img_20200719_171510.jpg

1595142990_img_20200719_171526.jpg

That is a fantastic site. Great to see the bush is still good enough for the animals. I always thought they make a mound of leaves and lay eggs on top. Maybe I'm thinking of the ostrich.
OldGT said:
Mate wanted a pick hand today so went out mid morning and trekked out to an out of the way spot. Started on the West end of a reef line and worked back toward the East.

Had a quick bite and chatting away when we both heard a strange sound. Sat quiet for a minute or two and could hear something moving beyond the tree line, but couldnt spot it.

Packed up lunch, and drove up a bit further. Started having a bit of a swing and above the detectors we could hear the sound again. Switched off the detectors and we decided to have a look.

As we made our way up the next hill from the gully the sound become a bit clearer as we got closer. My mate was the first to figure it.

He said "Sounds like an emu."

Sure enough as we got closer heres old mate Emu, strutting around. We drew in closer for a bit better look, big bugger, and getting more vocal. As we crossed over the costean here was the reason we'd been given the shove off signal.

There on the ground were 7 eggs in a cluster, and tbh it made my day seeing them there. Retreated out of there after taking a quick snap to let nature do its thing.

Only one other time have I spotted an emu out in the bush wild, with a bit of luck in a few weeks there will be a few more.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/10069/1595142968_img_20200719_171510.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/10069/1595142990_img_20200719_171526.jpg

What area OGT?
I've seen the odd one past Boort but never in the GT.

Redfin said:
What area OGT?
I've seen the odd one past Boort but never in the GT.

North of Greytown, closest landmark be Mt Black, although still a distance from there. So not actually in the GT at all.

But well into the bush, he had a good spot. I read they dont take much food or water when nesting, which is just as well as there isnt much of either out there even at this time of year. We came out from the Blackboys and orange country hot rocks and he was up the next hillside to our north/north east where the vegetation changes out to timbered hillside.

Judging by the junk targets we were the first in there for quite some time. EMI was extreme to say the least, couldnt even hide in the gullies. Not sure if there is towers on Mt Black, havent been up there for a long time.

Have been alerted to many nests, (can't really call them that, a number of eggs just laying on the ground.) Old Man Emu comes "stomping" out of the bush and charging towards you. You immediately know there is a clutch nearby.
For those who do not know, Emus mate, eggs laid and mum buggers off, never to be around again.
Dad sits on the eggs until they're hatched, nurtures them until fully grown, then they are on their own.

Bush bashing in the goldfields one day I noticed an emu several hundred metres ahead, doing bog laps, then I noticed a Wedge Tailed Eagle circling above.
Immediately stopped and watched proceedings. Maybe about 15 minutes later the eagle departed and low and behold from the scrub emerged about 10 young emu chicks, they formed up around Dad and proceeded on their way.
Its a dog eat dog out there or should I say Eagle eat Emu.
(Why don't we have a video device at moments like this?)

we have a lot of Emus here in the southwest. I have come across eggs more than couple of times, & running into Dad & chicks is a common occurance.
Blackberry season is always fun competition, for who gets to the best berries first, them or us.
Wierd how they just lay eggs on the ground with no nest.

G'day

Some years back while detecting I walked right up to an emu sitting on eggs in thick low scrub, didn't hear anything as I was wearing headphones until I heard a loud scrabbling noise as he scrambled to his feet then when I looked up he just popped up out of the scrub, don't know who got the bigger shock him or me, but as soon as I saw him I remembered people saying that they will chase you and that its the male sits on the eggs and they are aggressive, anyway he must have lost his nerve as he bolted to about 100 mtrs away and watched me from there, there were eggs just laying on the ground and some appeared to be cracking, I went back and got the camera and he kept his distance while I got some pics.

Went away for day or so and decided to go back for another look, emu dad did the same thing and bolted to a safe distance while I got more pics of the chicks, some out and some still getting out of the eggs, the next year I went back to where the nest was and found shells and one old egg which I was going to take but decided to bury it instead as it would have been rotten inside and unpleasant if it broke open in the car.

1595182621_bush_trip_july_2008_028.jpg

1595182621_bush_trip_july_2008_035.jpg

1595182621_bush_trip_july_2008_047.jpg

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts