Areas in the triangle where gold came to the surface?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
As my post suggests, Im wondering where gold actually came to the surface and not just in old diggings!
Im hoping theres some more knowledgeable detectorist out there then myself, but Im also not from this area but it is within a 4ish hour drive if I travel to the Bendigo area but more interested in learning about areas where it actually came to the Surface as Im guessing these areas will have also produce larger nuggets compared to the gold on and around mullock piles.
So once again Id greatly appreciate any help and your time.
Cheers

I think your asking the wrong question. Say the gold was formed/deposited 250 million to 500 million years ago, thats a hell of a long time ago by our standards. That gives it a long time for erosion and other forces to change the landscape. Where you might find gold on what is now the surface might have been 100m deep in the earth or more back then. A mountain could have eroded off of it, or it could have been uplifted over time. A lot of the gold we find at the surface has been washed there over time in ancient creeks that are now buried. Thats the game. You have to look for where it came from when you get onto a bit. When the old timers followed it to the source, if they could find it, and it was worth it and possible, they hammered it. :goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldnugget:

Chewy said:
I think your asking the wrong question. Say the gold was formed/deposited 250 million to 500 million years ago, thats a hell of a long time ago by our standards. That gives it a long time for erosion and other forces to change the landscape. Where you might find gold on what is now the surface might have been 100m deep in the earth or more back then. A mountain could have eroded off of it, or it could have been uplifted over time. A lot of the gold we find at the surface has been washed there over time in ancient creeks that are now buried. Thats the game. You have to look for where it came from when you get onto a bit. When the old timers followed it to the source, if they could find it, and it was worth it and possible, they hammered it. :goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldnugget:

Thanks chewy
Appreciate your time and help :Y:

I think the term surface gold was describing outcropping quartz reefs or alluvial patches that were surfaced.
I have seen surfaced ground where the old timers dug anything from a few inches to a few feet.

The term surface gold can be a little misleading at times. These days after considerable prospecting activity a lot less gold is lying about close to the surface.

Some gold is still eroding from the surface. It had a start and is still happening. There is a possibility of surface gold anywhere.

Hydrostatics & tectonics played their part in what depth gold was originally deposited. Today however, in majority of locations erosion dictates the depth. So its fair to say, you find gold today then go back to the same spot in the future and you may find it again.

I recently noticed a massive change in surface geology, this occurred in just 1 year in time. Last year there was quartz scattered everywhere, today you struggle to see any. This was on a hill top so its the result of erosion, my jaw hit the ground when I saw this, if someone had told me this was possible in just 1 years time I would have said BS. We had significant rain late summer early autumn in most areas of Vic this year.. ideal conditions for erosion

New Guinea is still today evolving, in fact its one of, if not the most active evolving places in the world today. So much so, tectonics have damaged oil wells there. Anywhere today where tectonics occur and gold is found would indeed make for some very interesting gold prospecting

BigL said:
Hydrostatics & tectonics played their part in what depth gold was originally deposited. Today however, in majority of locations erosion dictates the depth. So its fair to say, you find gold today then go back to the same spot in the future and you may find it again.

I recently noticed a massive change in surface geology, this occurred in just 1 year in time. Last year there was quartz scattered everywhere, today you struggle to see any. This was on a hill top so its the result of erosion, my jaw hit the ground when I saw this, if someone had told me this was possible in just 1 years time I would have said BS. We had significant rain late summer early autumn in most areas of Vic this year.. ideal conditions for erosion

New Guinea is still today evolving, in fact its one of, if not the most active evolving places in the world today. So much so, tectonics have damaged oil wells there. Anywhere today where tectonics occur and gold is found would indeed make for some very interesting gold prospecting

Quartz constantly moves,most probably quicker than the rest of the host rock

Latest posts