Are you the beach cleaner?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was detecting on a new beach to me the other day, there were 2 young women sitting near the water, but were watching what I was doing. I was about 30 metres further back on the beach and suddenly they were standing in front of me, one said 'what are you doing' I am looking for money I said, they looked puzzled and again I repeated, still puzzled. Ok I am looking for coins, Yes now we understand they said, have you found any, No just bottle tops I said showing a small hand full of them, just in case they did not understand. 'Ah' was the reply, 'so you are the beach cleaner, you are doing a very good of keeping it clean, it is a lovely beach, thank you', and off they went very happy. They did not seem to know the meaning of the word 'money'. Thought that I should have got a reference from them and put in an invoice to the council to see if I could get payment and an official "Beach Cleaner" uniform. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

The amount of crap I have taken off beaches near me over the years, for very little return or thanks, has nearly put me off taking my detector.
mainly cans, ring pulls, bottle tops & broken & melted glass, even the occasional car part, plus also occasionally the remains of partly burnt boards with nails sticking out.
My older sister once put one of these nails in her foot when we were teenagers. I think that's where my obsession with picking up every other lazy :poop: rubbish started.
I take solace in knowing I am making it a bit better/safer place for not only my grandkids, but everyone else as well

I reckon if someone thinks you are the beach cleaner .... well, thats a feather in your cap :Y:
Picking up rubish and leaving every area we go detecting (or fosiking) better than we found it should be paramount
The last thing our hobbies need , is for us to be seen to be or perceved as being grubs.
Its pretty simple really ... if you have to step over it ... or you dig it up.... TAKE IT WITH YOU.

While out yesterday on a 'dog off leash' beach, had a hole about 200 mm deep and a dog ran up and started digging in the hole, he must have been an ex detector dog because he looked at me, shook his head and then ran away, only got a bottle top anyway. Maybe I should have got its opinion on some of the other holes with bottle tops that I had dug. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

silver said:
When I show my junk finds bag to the over inquisitive it's funny cause they get surprised that I can detect glass :D
I mostly find glass when digging up a buried camp fire that has had bottle and cans thrown in it.
I had a huge laugh at my eldest daughter back in Feb. She was driving us back to her house when she spotted 2 boys 2 girls around 10-12yr old smash a bottle against a limestone wall along the footpath. ]:D
She promptly did u-turn & went back & gave them a big serve. She got a bag out of her car & stood there until they picked it all up (under threats to call police & follow them home to tell their parents). They did as she said.
She says its my fault she was so harsh on them :lol:
Im betting they will think twice next time.

Headed off to see about a lost ring - 2 years has passed by, but water levels are now low enough.. Only have a 20M x 20M area to do. But also they are not sure if Platinum OR White Gold OR Silver ???? So target ID was almost one of CHECK every target = After 2 swings I knew it was never going to happen.

While i did my best to select targets and leave items that were deep and or noisey; so as to not leave a mess.

Somebody has been before me and cherry picked the area :lol: :lol: I mean no significant spendables, and they left hundreds of bits of scrap for me :playful:

Well i guess it was about 3 to 1 as I left 2 or 3 for every one I took. Due to age and size and other factors these lovely items (wish they were worth something) all fall into the GOOD range. While it was easy to ID most as rubbish, and leave many un disturbed, I had to dig and check to make sure every so often.

I dumped all the bigger scrap and cans and bits of props and lumps of melted crap in the bins on site.

Got one poor little 1950 pre dec a couple of 1c and 30c in spendables.

The area is now mostly clean of sunbakers and shallow targets but there are thousands still waiting !!!!!!!!!

At days end - Ring has either been found by someone else / not lost where they thought / still hiding in amongst all the other bits I left behind.

These babies all went into the BIN... including the BB as they love the copper recycling man. Shame the silver was not older but then I do have 2 piles of silver melt - 925 and the 50% and when there is enough pre dec silvers = Furnace time.

What I found in my finds bag when I got home.
1554539616_2019-04-05_21.16.54_medium.jpg

A better pic of the 1950 Sixpence.

1554539616_2019-04-05_21.45.30_medium.jpg

Latest posts