Apple Tree Flat NSW. Information?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im new on here and really enjoying the forums. I have a question and I cant seem to find any information about it elsewhere.
My farther and I own a farm at apple tree flats nsw (near Mudgee) and Im trying to find out some information about the gold history there. I have just started prospecting and been out the last few days with the detector but found nothing in the hills, but I have found several large diggings from old timers. Would be interesting to see if gold was ever found there.

Thanks a lot

Naahhh, nothing there.............but there used to be

1572385368_1dcb1e9e-dcc1-4a82-9e01-144270b97465.jpg

Try searching the trove website for newspaper articles, it is amazing what you can dig up :pickshovel: :goldnugget: :goldpan:

The diggings you found were probably where
the nugget was so they went crazy on it.
Gold is where you find it and you are in the right area.

Remember that the old timers could not "See "
in the ground like we can today. Persistence is the
key.

The Apple Tree Flat area was a proclaimed goldfield from 1869 & was worked from up to 10 years prior to that. After that initial rush petered out it then seen another flurry of activity in the 1930's.
As you'd know farming has taken over the area now & many of the alluvial + Chinese workings would have been levelled on the flats for this so the gold history isn't obvious there although there are some sites visible from the highway if you have a keen eye ;) . There was also reef mining in the area.
Some good nuggets came from the area including a 102 ounce lump (as per Wallys post above).

More than happy to come out NSW410 and have a look around with you if youd like just PM me?

I am around your area over the next few weeks and can help interpret the diggings and geo to point you in the right areas.

Latest posts