Anyone got any experience or tips prospecting for Beryl....??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been doing a bit of research around my area and I have found some old info about beryl deposits which seems to be forgotten about by many.
Beryl was found in the area on previous occasions.
I am really keen to go for a look but have no clue about looking for signs of beryl or how to go about getting it.

Any tips.

Dan

Hi Dan, around Canberra I am guessing the beryl would have formed in vughs/veins within pegmatites, which is basically granite... where as it cooled and hardened all the left over minerals coalesce to give you areas containing quartz, feldspar and beryl and many other minerals sometimes. Normally when weathered these veins or cavities are evidenced by a scattering of quartz down a slope. The granite will often weather away and the quartz crystals and beryl lay in the soil in clusters.

So basically walk everywhere on the granite looking for quartz veins and cavities that any loose quartz you see on the ground may be coming from.

If there are large flat slabs of granite bedrock exposed the pockets of crystal can be hidden by a covering of moss. Near my home you look for circles of green well watered moss on the granite and every now and again the moss is covering a large hole full of smokey or amethyst quartz crystals and occasionally beryl...even emerald.

Regarding recovery, I take a hammer, chisel, screwdriver and small detecting pick on the walks and keep a crowbar, shovel etc in the vehicle. Some of the cavities can be difficult to get crystals out of without damaging them.

All the above info is assuming the beryl you are chasing Dan is in granite or similar plutonic rocks.....if the beryl occurs as waterworn stones, googles some images of waterworn beryl and hit the sieves
Cheers Reddirtdigger :)

Great post RDD, thanks. I'm really interested in Beryl too Dan, Torrington is the place they say, though I can see a deposit that is right near Cooma. It's Cooma Back Ck actually. From the notes "Beryl occurs in gneissic veins in granite".

Ahhh found one closer to Canberra too, probably the one you're referring too. Has the same description also. Would be stoked to find some someday, I'm planning on checking out Torrington in a couple of months for Beryl and Topaz.

Years ago I had book called Australian gemstones or something like that and it say that you can get Beryl and low quality Emeralds in Shoalhaven river . Unfortunately I lend it to someone and never got it back.
Karl

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Dan, around Canberra I am guessing the beryl would have formed in vughs/veins within pegmatites, which is basically granite... where as it cooled and hardened all the left over minerals coalesce to give you areas containing quartz, feldspar and beryl and many other minerals sometimes. Normally when weathered these veins or cavities are evidenced by a scattering of quartz down a slope. The granite will often weather away and the quartz crystals and beryl lay in the soil in clusters.

So basically walk everywhere on the granite looking for quartz veins and cavities that any loose quartz you see on the ground may be coming from.

If there are large flat slabs of granite bedrock exposed the pockets of crystal can be hidden by a covering of moss. Near my home you look for circles of green well watered moss on the granite and every now and again the moss is covering a large hole full of smokey or amethyst quartz crystals and occasionally beryl...even emerald.

Regarding recovery, I take a hammer, chisel, screwdriver and small detecting pick on the walks and keep a crowbar, shovel etc in the vehicle. Some of the cavities can be difficult to get crystals out of without damaging them.

All the above info is assuming the beryl you are chasing Dan is in granite or similar plutonic rocks.....if the beryl occurs as waterworn stones, googles some images of waterworn beryl and hit the sieves
Cheers Reddirtdigger :)

WOW thanksmate a good start there.

Colin & Lee if you want to go out some time let me know because it sounds like we both have no idea LOL

According to the book "The Australian Gemhunter's guide" (found at Salvo's for 1$ mouhahahahah), Berryl in southern NSW occurs near:
- Cooma
- Kiandra
- Bungonia

I've seen some Torrington Emerald and it does look great, will most definitely have a dig there next time I head North.

Latest posts