Any point panning in a non gold area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Against my best judgement I've bought a gold pan kit and want to pan some random soil out on my parent's property. Being at least 100km from the nearest known gold I don't expect that, but is there anything neat I could come across? Thanks :)

PS. If it helps, I live in the Riverland SA

Excellent, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, a realistic chance to find something/anything shiny, cheers.
Brumble-Gum said:
You might find tin, silver, copper, garnets, sapphires, zircon, crystals, or any other mineral or gemstone.
Gold isn't the only heavy thing in a creek. A pan will concentrate whatever is heaviest in any watercourse around the world.

Hey Geo, what you will do with the pan is what the old timers did as Jamie said. And just because theres no old workings on your property don't mean theres no gold there. The old timers were good but even they didn't find it all. They couldn't physically check every single creek and depression on every square kilometre. It might not have any gold on it but hey, then again it might. Have a shot. What have you got to lose?

And as That said, "gold is where you find it".

The old timers did! Even if you don't find anything you'll get panning practice for when you are.
Jon

Look at the geology of the area. If it is similar to gold bearing ground it may be worth a try. Back in the mid 90s I was travelling from Glenn Innes to Grafton via the old Grafton road and camped for the night at a place called Dalmorton. The next morning I decided to get the pan out and have ago because the creek and the surrounding vegetation looked alot like the Turon around Sofala. I managed to find a bit of coulour.

Now with the internet I know that Dalmorton was a gold town back in the old days.

You never know , you might start the next rush.

Brumble-Gum said:
You might find tin, silver, copper, garnets, sapphires, zircon, crystals, or any other mineral or gemstone.
Gold isn't the only heavy thing in a creek. A pan will concentrate whatever is heaviest in any watercourse around the world.
Absolutely agree.
Take note of the terrain and types of rocks and that can tell you alot about the potential of finding gold and gemstones.

Rusty_G said:
Brumble-Gum said:
Absolutely agree.
Take note of the terrain and types of rocks and that can tell you alot about the potential of finding gold and gemstones.

I think it looks nothing like lands I've seen in prospecting videos, but I still want to try anyway.

Without the right geology etc. then your time may be better spent 100km's away in a known area. I would research the area firstly before putting in too much time/effort but if there are indicators there then you could make a nice discovery.
Gold is where it is but it's definitely not where it isn't too.

mbasko said:
Without the right geology etc. then your time may be better spent 100km's away in a known area. I would research the area firstly before putting in too much time/effort but if there are indicators there then you could make a nice discovery.
Gold is where it is but it's definitely not where it isn't too.

Honestly it's not all about gold for me, crazy right? At the very least I get some heavies in the pan that aren't limestone and it gives me some panning practice, even leadshot would work for that. Getting any natural heavies would make it totally worth it for me and it would also help me discern where to dig in a creek/depression. Was also thinking about some creative areas where heavies would collect like at the bottom of a cliff where there is a pit from the erosion of the flood waterfall before it goes into the river.

scottlucky said:
put a few lead shots into your pan.
good practice anyway.

Don't know where to buy that sort of stuff, I feel I would need a gun license. Maybe I could use a bolt cutter to chop up a nail, I assume all metal is similar specific gravity.

Latest posts