Another new guy :D

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorseth

Jace
Reaction score
Hey guys ( and girls?) :p

Just joined up, since i caught the geology bug i can't wait to get out there and find some gold! :) I spend 90% of my spare time in the bush ( nature nutter ) and the idea of finding gold.. while i'm doing what i love anyway... sounds pretty bloody brilliant to me! :D

Im looking at getting a Minelab Eureka Gold, I was tossing up between that and the Goldbug 2, but the gold bug detectors have the MOST irritating cache blip noise, i know i'd have a solid headache walking around with that going on all day. but the Eureka model's noise doesn't bother me at all. Have you guys found this too? I would have gone with the Goldbug 2 if it wasn't for the horrible noise :p.

I live in Sydney at the moment, planning on heading out Oberon/bathurst area's to a few properties when i get my detector, but i'll be moving up to QLD in the next few years.

You can thank George ( Dozer ) for me being here as one day i ran into him with a mate at his work and had a decent convo about gold and detecting randomly.. and now im here! I've been intensively studying geology since the convo with George, and even without a detector, I'M OBSESSED! Lol

Interested in Gem stone prospecting also! went out with a sieve on the weekend and found some nice shiney metalic stones i have to identify, and some small quartz, Was chipping into some breccia about 11 feet down, below the sandstone line in a creek, but lost the daytime hours before finding a good spot! STILL! was fun anyway!

Anyway I'll stop yappin! Great forum by the looks of it guys!

Jace.

G'day Jace and welcome, a lot of members from Sydney here. Some good spots around Bathurst and Oberon, should be onto something in no time at all with the research you're doing.

Thanks! haha i hope so! but, its just as much about the fun as what i find :D ;)

Good day Jace, Dozer is a great guy and so is his prospecting partner in crime Chris. They certainly pointed you to the right place :) enjoy and welcome

Hi Jace
Welcome to the Forum.
I would recommend you do a lot of research before you spend your money, the detectors mentioned in this thread are good units, but if "Gold" prospecting is your main aim? then to avoid frustration & disappointment have a real good look at an SD2200 (only available 2nd hand) they can range from $1500 to $2300 give or take, this detector will give you a much better chance of success for a little more of an investment.
Research the difference between PI (pulse induction, SD2200) & VLF (very low frequency, Eureaka Gold)
There are other options in the PI range but I don't know anything about them so will not comment.
I think the best option is to borrow or hire a detector to see if it is to your liking.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Lee

I posted this same info on Robyns thread but the same goes here mate.

Welcome Jace,

From another Sydney Sider who joined yesterday. I think I have this detecting bug too before I even have mine lol, saving like a maniac for it. Ive got my eye on a few places around Goulburn that I want to look into. My parents live in Goulburn , so a good excuse to go lol. My hubby has no interest ( yet). I hope, if I do find anything of value ( just dreaming ) that it may tickle his interest then I wont have to go around alone.
Very excited and cant wait to start !
Wishing you all well in your digs :)

Robyn

Welcome Jace
You've come to the right place. We've all got the fever pretty bad here.
Any questions you have, just ask away and Im sure theres somone out there with an answer for you.
If not....just ask Dozer :) his fever runs high 24/7
Id be taking Lee's point about the detector of choice also. PI is the way to go IMO
Cheers
Chris

rc62burke said:
Hi Jace
Welcome to the Forum.
I would recommend you do a lot of research before you spend your money, the detectors mentioned in this thread are good units, but if "Gold" prospecting is your main aim? then to avoid frustration & disappointment have a real good look at an SD2200 (only available 2nd hand) they can range from $1500 to $2300 give or take, this detector will give you a much better chance of success for a little more of an investment.
Research the difference between PI (pulse induction, SD2200) & VLF (very low frequency, Eureaka Gold)
There are other options in the PI range but I don't know anything about them so will not comment.
I think the best option is to borrow or hire a detector to see if it is to your liking.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Lee

I posted this same info on Robyns thread but the same goes here mate.

Hello Lee :D

Thanks for the advise mate, The reason i was going with the Eureka or GB 2 was that they are about $1200 which is already over my price range but i should have the money together in a few months. i was hoping to spend about $500-$900, but i also don't wana be walking around with a piece of crap.. haha no point forking out a decent amount of money for something that isn't worth learning on in my opinion :p

Do you have fist hand experience with either of these D's? I want a gpx 5000.. but who doesnt! lol someone hook a brother up with 6 grand *chuckles*

Can you suggest any good places to look for second hand detectors other than gumtree, here and Ebay? From what i've seen, detectors don't seam to come up much, and when they do they don't lose value very much lol.

Cheers

Jace. :lol:

Latest posts