Angus Mackirk highbankers.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here using one of the AM highbankers, Yukon or Klondike? They look pretty good, same as the sluices pretty much but they are a decent sized highbanker.

Anyone in Aus selling them?

untill googling "AM highbankers" i didn't even know they offered them, i've seen some home conversions to highbanker but not genuine AM

Same here I've seen the conversions also and like some of them. I may try and import 1 in a few weeks or maybe after Chrissie/New Year. At $600 it's a good price, maybe $200 shipping should keep it under $1000 so no messing around paying customs fees.

There seems to be more info on USA retailers sites than on the AM site. Would rather buy 1 locally if it were a reasonable price, anyway will get a shipping quote in a couple of weeks, it's only about 10KG so should not cost much.

Great topic Heatho. I had no idea they made highbankers either, I'm definitely going to look into them further.

Nuggets from Downunder did have some of the AM power sluices/mini recirculating highbankers in stock. Not sure if they had the larger ones but they could probably get one in?

Personally I would seriously have a look closer to home if you plan on blowing a $grand, AM Sluices are really good at holding back fines and I've even seen pickers get caught up on the slick plate however if you plan on processing any decent volume your out of luck.

Drop riffle type setups generally require frequent clean outs, yes they are very quick to clean out but you still have to shutdown and stop digging. For Australian conditions I recommend a highbanker with good spray bars and something that can process your clayey gravels. any decent Highbanker with Wals crate pattern will allow you to work for a long time without cleaning out and you can vary your feed rate. my understanding is that america have crazy black sand so its perfect for them because the black sand holds down the gold.

Any particular reason why AM has sparked your interest? weight, brand? little water in your area?

Nugget said:
Great topic Heatho. I had no idea they made highbankers either, I'm definitely going to look into them further.

Yeah I had not seen them mentioned yet so thought I'd better start a thread on them.

G0lddigg@ said:
Personally I would seriously have a look closer to home if you plan on blowing a $grand, AM Sluices are really good at holding back fines and I've even seen pickers get caught up on the slick plate however if you plan on processing any decent volume your out of luck.

Drop riffle type setups generally require frequent clean outs, yes they are very quick to clean out but you still have to shutdown and stop digging. For Australian conditions I recommend a highbanker with good spray bars and something that can process your clayey gravels. any decent Highbanker with Wals crate pattern will allow you to work for a long time without cleaning out and you can vary your feed rate. my understanding is that america have crazy black sand so its perfect for them because the black sand holds down the gold.

Any particular reason why AM has sparked your interest? weight, brand? little water in your area?

Hey GD, I have an AM Foreman and love the way it works, have seen many other recommendations on AM sluices and everyone who runs them loves them, plenty of members on this site rate them highly. I've only run classified wash from Sapphire hunting once and the Foreman collected some tiny gold but will be doing some gold only trips soon.

I guess it's lightweight easy to set up and clean out. The points you made are spot on and I totally agree. I think Wal's design is probably one of the best designs also for Aussie conditions. Still the AM banker has my interest, same as the G1 which is highly rated by users also.

I've seen Walbankers in action and they work very well, the results speak for themselves, also nothing else I've seen does gems and gold so well. Just weighing up options at the moment.

Appreciate your input.

have been using and testing the angus mackirk dry gulch high banker for a while now the thing with them is then weigh bugger all and setup quickly for those times you pack stuff in a long distance. first the warts, the grizzly they come with is horrible first thing I did was used 1/2 inch expanded mesh in its place. being a small highbanker I can only feed the top hopper with a 5 ltr bucket but if ya dig 4 buckets at a time and feed it not so bad. the bottom tray on the dry gulch uses a standard drop rifle not like the double type setup on the grub steak it catches gold, fine gold but the feed rate has to be watched as any big surge will blow the gold out.
the good bits, the top hopper design is fantastic you can run spray bar or 2 pipes. the bottom tray cleanup is lightning quick and you don't have to pull down the highbanker to do it just slide it out rinse in a bucket job done.
I built a fiberglass tray and put gold hog razorback matting in and I was amazed at the fine gold it held blew me away, it also tolerates surges better but this is a small highbanker and the feed rate holds you back something like the klondike model where you could shovel directly into it would be better and they use the double riffle type setup as well. the dry gulch would suit someone only wanting to dig about 1/2 meter of dirt a day but I got it so that I could walk 2 kms down a creek and get to the better spots and the other thing is I can run the cons from my dry blower back at camp in the shade with a sherbert in one hand a scoop in the other while it recuirc's the water in the tub.
I currently run a grub steak, alaskan flair sluice and the dry gulch and trying to decide on the klondike or the G1 for the next level of digging where 2 blokes can shovel into it just have to think on that one.
Cheers
Skip

Hereskip, do you have a picture of your highbanker? It sounds like a good unit for remote places. Where did you get it from? I have only seen it being sold on US websites.

Latest posts