Angus Mackirk Grubstake sluice.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used one of these? I'm interested in knowing how they go.

P.S. Prospecting Australia is giving one away next month as part of our members draw :D

1368413896_mackirk_sluice_june.jpg

I haven't used one Nugget but I'm driving down to detect-a-den on Saturday to buy one, can post a review after I use it on Sunday. From what I have seen on youtube its ideal for small creeks, which is the application I have for mine.

The Angus MacKirk sluices are the bee's knees! Easy to set up, clean use, light, catch super fine gold.
& you can see the gold hang back on the feed tray/flare before it moves down(if it moves down...) into the riffle section.
I got an Explorer - same drop riffle design.
Can't go wrong with any of them.

Yes we have used on and they are great, light to carry and quick to set up.

We have found a fair bit of fine gold and some small pickers..

You must get the right angle drop, flow of water and take care when lifting it out to clean up.

Would definately recommend using one! :) cheers Jenmal

Ag Man said:
The Angus MacKirk sluices are the bee's knees! Easy to set up, clean use, light, catch super fine gold.
& you can see the gold hang back on the feed tray/flare before it moves down(if it moves down...) into the riffle section.
I got an Explorer - same drop riffle design.
Can't go wrong with any of them.
Hey AgMan I am very happy with my Explorer as well. I've only used it twice but it has held some of the finest gold i've seen. I think they all should work pretty well. It's much the same design on all just a few tweeks here and there. :)

When it comes to river sluices they're in a class of their own...would be a great asset to any prospector ....Cheers wal. ;)

goldbug said:
I haven't used one Nugget but I'm driving down to detect-a-den on Saturday to buy one, can post a review after I use it on Sunday. From what I have seen on youtube its ideal for small creeks, which is the application I have for mine.

I was like a kid in a candy store at Detect-a-den, there was so much to choose from, talk about sensory overload!
The credit card was running on empty near the end, so had to exercise some self control and buy just one Mc Kirk sluice.
Damm it, I wanted them all 8.(

Ended up with the Mc Kirk Recon, decided it would make a good sluice for my highbanker project. The rest of the Mc Kirk will have to wait until the credit card recharges again.

Nice little shop, lots of gear and good service from Steve who did a great deal for me on my package of goodies. :)

Cheers J

I tried a Mackirk sluice on the weekend, very little flow in the river and the sluice had less than optimal water going through it, I was putting some 3mm classified sand through and did notice it catching a couple of flakes of very fine gold, I would love to see one in action in the correct conditions.

TenOunce Tone said:
I tried a Mackirk sluice on the weekend, very little flow in the river and the sluice had less than optimal water going through it, I was putting some 3mm classified sand through and did notice it catching a couple of flakes of very fine gold, I would love to see one in action in the correct conditions.

The water flow is the key to these things working properly, we have piled rocks at the top to help channel more flow properly... We had two and used one at the base of the other to check if it was loosing anything and no, nothing in the second sluice. At the right drop they catch all fine gold. You have just got to take care when lifting them out. :)

I ended up taking the Grub Steak for a spin over the weekend and I have decided to keep this one and buy a replacement for the members draw :p

What I found was it requires very little water flow to operate, side by side with the EZ Sluice, the Grub Steak ran very well whereas the EZ Sluice was unusable, there just wasn't enough water flow for it to work efficiently.

On this trip we didn't find any gold as we spent a much of the day driving around the country side and seeing the sites. But from what little use we gave the Grub Steak I'm quite confident in it's gold trapping ability. After running a few half buckets of material through the Grub Steak the riffles were full of fine black sand, we also found some very small gems. I really don't think we dug any gold in our material as we were limited on time and were digging a heavily worked area.

I'm going to do a test video soon running gold rich material through the Grub Steak to see what sort of results we get from it. I'll post back with the video when I'm done.

Final thoughts
- Very sturdy
- Lightweight, even lighter than the EZ Sluice
- Requires very little water flow to operate
- Very easy to clean out (literally seconds)

Hi all,

We've used these sluices for a few years now Nugget. Absolutely love them! Did a lot of work down on the Buckland River Vic, Hargreaves NSW, and also down at Adelong NSW with the Grub Steak and the Explorer and found them to be very nice pieces of gear. Haven't looked back since.
There's one more pro to add to your list of final thoughts-

- Very sturdy
- Lightweight, even lighter than the EZ Sluice
- Requires very little water flow to operate
- Very easy to clean out (literally seconds)

- With an easy wipe or left to dry in the sun they won't fill your car boot with water ;)

Cheers,
Shauno

i had one of these for 12 months and i have to say a great first sluice for a beginer. the angled flair makes it easy to setup and clean outs are a breeze. its best if you screen down to 1/4 minus for this model ive found.

I haven't used the Grubbstake but a mate just bought one.

I got the Explorer & same deal - easy to use & clean out. Catches the fines brilliantly, it's light & robust.
The explorer handles 1'2 screened material nicely if you got good flow.
For material screened down to -4mm, I've even used it at home with the garden hose - worked fine.

Hi Nugget,
Are you entiltled to win the monthly members draw? You could end up being the owner of 2 Angus MacKirk sluices!!!!

Well we are just going to have to start a competition just for you Nugget.
I'm serious there must be a way that you can be eligible.
What if we all put it to a vote? What do you think members? :D

Hahaha, thanks Dozer but I think it'd look a little suspicious if the person behind the competitions wins the members draw, and I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it was rigged. But its all good though, I get my satisfaction from knowing I've made some lucky bugger happy :lol:

The Grubbstake was the first sleuce I ever bought. Have used it at Tuena, Coles bridge and Sunny Corner with 1/4 classified material...and had good results. It's just the perfect size backpack sleuce. You'll be suprised how little water flow you need to get it going.

Latest posts