Advice on Minelab training / trainers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digginholes said:
turn on to Thompson street from Sofala rd and a few k up on the right is the entrance to the north common and there is signage that will direct you to the camp ground
Cheers mate I appreciate the help
I wanted to do it as soon as possible and would be good to have someone from PA there but can't till June cause of work

Digginholes said:
Did u have any luck there? I have looked around but didn't have a detector with me.

There is a lot of rubbish around the area in the common areas. Unfortunately a lot of people don't pick up after themselves.

eadesy77 said:
Digginholes said:
Did u have any luck there? I have looked around but didn't have a detector with me.

There is a lot of rubbish around the area in the common areas. Unfortunately a lot of people don't pick up after themselves.
I have done some detecting around the commons in Sofala and have noticed quite a lot of trash, even a few dump sites.
I am keen to try wattle flat common next time I get out there, I guess I'll be taking a bag for the rubbish I come across and hopefully there a nuggie or two hiding amongs it for me

We dropped into Wattle Flat and headed down the Bathurst end (I guess that's the south) and camped the night. A bloke from a nearby house came to see us in the morning and told us we were camped at Poverty Hill. He said that most of the gold was found between the dam and the Catholic Church. We moved back down there and sure enough the side of the hill is peppered with shallow diggings. There are a few deep shafts near the top but they have been fenced off for safety.

We only got one 0.5g piece not far from where we parked down near the bottom but we only covered a very small area. I'm sure there would be a lot more gold to be found but it would take some time to scramble over the sides of the hill. There's a drive track up the hill but the low hanging trees were going to give some trouble and we didn't intend to stay long.

It's a nice quiet camping area with clean toilets and lots of space. They ask for a small fee to be paid at the local shop. Sandra said the kid just shoved it in the till so I doubt it ended up in the right hands but at least we paid our way :)

another question sorry guys, the wattle flat common, i think i know roughly where it is and looks like a dirt road into it, what is the road like as i will be in my sedan and not my 4x4, is it an ok road in or 4x4 only?

jamie said:
another question sorry guys, the wattle flat common, i think i know roughly where it is and looks like a dirt road into it, what is the road like as i will be in my sedan and not my 4x4, is it an ok road in or 4x4 only?

U will be able to get to the training site in the sedan. But s far as getting much further in u need a 4x4. We got in with our sedan but couldn't go too much further. I don't know about the other wattle flat common area.

Cheers

jamie said:

You should easilly make it into the campground area, that's pretty close to the diggings. Just watch out for any water filled ruts in the road, some of them can be deep.

Another amateur hour question that I know everyone loves me asking... Joking guys but I have both the 11" DD and the 14" elite camo coil, have found gold with the 11" DD and couldn't get the mono to run without carrying on like a pork chop, should I take the 11" or the 14" mono to the training day? Just not sure if the training will cater to the mono or they expect a "standard" setup
Sorry for the stupid questions just been curious is all
Cheers
Jamie

Take both - they should be able to help with settings etc. for the mono + Wattle Flat can be tricky to detect in areas with ground & EMI so the DD may be better on the day?

I've often wondered if a "Specific Ground Balance" would be better at WF as it's very magnetic there. On the magnetic geological survey the diggings and hill there are red which indicate very high magnetic readings. Just a thought. Might try it next time I'm there.

I've never heard of anyone recommending to use it anywhere Matt, though I reckon WF would be the right situation. The comment at the bottom of the article you linked is very interesting.

I'm giving it a go next time for sure.

thanks guys and yes i think Specific Ground Balance may be a good idea to try, hope i can get my head around the 4500 with this training day, fairly large learning curve with these machines compared to my infinium

jamie said:
thanks guys and yes i think Specific Ground Balance may be a good idea to try, hope i can get my head around the 4500 with this training day, fairly large learning curve with these machines compared to my infinium
Hi Just got back from Wattle Flat and Hill End for the gpz 7000 training. Done the Gpx 5000 late last year. The trainer did recommend using the mono coil. But like others have said take both and ask questions for both. Mind you both Wattle Flat and Hill End are both difficult places I have found to detect very noisy with emi and ground. But had fun and every outing is experience. A lot of junk in both areas, people just don't clean up after themselves. But do ask questions.

Cheers
eadesy77

Latest posts