Advice on Minelab training / trainers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doc

BRUCE COX
Reaction score
I am a new gold detecting buff. I have a Minelab GPX4500 with a 12 inch mono. I have done some basic training a while ago but being an old dude need some follow up. Can anyone recommend a good training tour for a couple of days that that goes to new locations.

I live in Loch Sport on the Gippsland Lakes but willing to travel anywhere in Victoria to do the training before I venture elsewhere. Would appreciate any advice.

1373675791_582152_254854441284556_2101287567_n.jpg

is this what was discovered during the training run or is this the total collection post the training?

this is just a picture I took when I was running my 4500 with a 14" nugget finder coil. I only had it for a few weeks and picked all this up with it and heaps more.
AP

:D Hi, aussie prospector I think a few of us need to tag along with you for a while to lift the weight in our nugget
bottle, lol.

Hi Doc.....we recently did a tour with Bendigo gold, they were great and we learnt heaps...found a few nice little pieces too! Well worth the money!

Prospector steve said:
:D Hi, aussie prospector I think a few of us need to tag along with you for a while to lift the weight in our nugget
bottle, lol.
I'm just starting up on taking people out and showing them what I know, the difference with other training days there's to many and you don't really get every question tended to... with me it's one on one amd there's no trying to get the help you need, I have been taking friends out and showing them the basics on detecting and have walked away with gold in there jars, now out by them selfs doing well, all it takes is to find those 1st few bits.. I can't guaranty gold but the chances are good I do virgin ground hunting mostly and now and then have a play on the old timers diggings
I sat down and thought about it for a while and thought why not start up a little business and get people on there way who are having problems with there GPX or finding gold.
AP

have any of you been on a training day with minelab and how long did it last ?

I was a bit surprised when i went on mine at Hill End . after driving 4 hours each way and having the best part of 45 minutes teaching from the minelab appointed guy , then a bit of a walk around in the bush for an hour that was it ? ? ?

i thought " minelab training day " meant a day of training , not 45 minutes

the guy just showed us his preferred settings . any dik can do that

i expected to be taught how to use the multitude of settings on these things but " nope "

what were other peoples experiences ?

what date was this ?

I was on the most recent one at Hill End , we were on the common at Tambaroora .

kind of not what i expected . . . ? :(

I cant send you a PM until you have 10 posts.

I went on 1 about 9 months ago and i would not recommend it to any 1 it was a waste of time. and it was at hill end

I agree, I went to a couple in vic years ago and they went most of the day but are very basic so have not bothered with the last few models. there ok if your very new to detecting but that's about it I reckon.
regards trashy

I'm going over to Hill End on the 7th December to see if i can have a go at the gpx 5000 and some vlf's. Its a great spot for a look anyway.

Was on a Minelab training day, today, in the Whipstick. Started at 9.30 and went 'til 5 with breaks for lunch and morning and afternoon smoko.
It was a great day enjoyed by all the participants. Andrew Grech was our trainer, for the day, and delivered the sessions in a measured and informative manner.

Prior to attending I'd already done 80-100 hours on the GPX5000 and have started to find gold. Having read and reread the manual, garnered as much info I could
find from the forum (thanks guys) I was reasonably familiar with the terminology Grechie used while delivering today's training. To his credit he acknowledged that
a lot of his delivery would be, to those of us that had already spent quite a few hours with these machines, in the most part basic. But to those who had limited, or
nil, experience with the 5k it was a very informative session delivered in a manner that left no-one floundering.

Even those of us with some little experience with these machines benefited from the information we were given, and the demonstrations, and I'm sure that we all
finished the day wiser for the experience. I, for one, gained heaps from some of the 'tweaks' Grechie demonstrated.

In the past I spent a number of years as a Trainer and Assessor and it was gratifying to see this day run in such a professional manner. Thanks Grechie. All today's
participants left with smiles on their dials.

If fortunate enough to have a Training day with someone of Grechie's caliber then I'm sure that none could be critical of such an event. On that note I would add that,
to get 110% from such a day potential participants do themselves a favour. Read, read and reread the manual. Try to familiarise oneself with the machine and its' controls,
even if in the most basic manner, and then do the training day. Then there would be no danger of 'information overload' for there is a fair amount to cover and even Rome
wasn't built in a day. :)

Thanks again, Grechie, I enjoyed today and got a lot from it.

Greckie is a Certified Minelab trainer and holds Minelab training down in Vic.
He will be conducting some seminars as well as general info and introductions to detecting days both in store at Mudgee as well as in the field at Hill End and possibly some local private property.

Please don't get Greckie's days confused with the Minelab training days held at Hill End by Steve Hobbs the local Minelab trainer.
Greckies days are full days, usually with sausage sizzles tea and coffee or cold drinks provided.

One was held last weekend at Hill End which was by all accounts very successful and well received.

Good morning guys,

I m looking forward to buy a Minelab, but before that I m trying to find a course somewhere in NSW for learning and more important question: is it good for me.
Looking on google since 2 hours, the only courses than I can see have already happened and it s a bit frustrating..

Does someone could let me know if they know someone, somewhere (links, emails) where I can do a 1-2-3 days training in NSW during the easter weekend?

It will be very appreciated.

cheers

http://www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com/contact-us/
Give Scotty a call at Nuggets from Down Under. Not sure about the Easter weekend but they run 2 day courses in/around Mudgee. Have heard good reports on the course. Andrew Grech does them.
If you buy your machine there they also give tuition on its use & I'm pretty sure you get a discount on the 2 day course as well.

Latest posts