Advice on Flying / Plane Trips With A Detector + batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck maxwell4, that'd be a nice problem to have wouldn't it? 'Anything to declare sir? Just these huge gold nuggets mate" :lol:

maxwell4 said:
I am about to head to WA with my SDC 2300. securely tucked up in my backpack as carry on. I contacted the airline with the same question and they responded with the all clear as carry on as per Redfins note above.(from their dangerous goods dept) They put a PS on the bottom saying that any spare batteries must be taken as CARRY ON.

I will be taking a copy of the email with me in case I encounter any problems.

PS I hope the biggest problem will be getting back with the excess baggage ............GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Cheers
Thanks. Good luck in WA :D

:rolleyes: Not sure there is much benefit in taking a coin detector on a plane. I have checked behind the seats on numerous occasions and have never found any gold, only crusty old peanuts and soggy chips. :eek:

I think you will find the 305 will be too long for carry-on. I have rolled my 705 in a swag once and on another occasion had it in a bag with the poles sticking out the end about 12". They went on as 'oversized' and was marked fragile so they packed it on top, :rolleyes: perhaps. They made it to the other end safely on both occasions.

Airlines are paranoid about cheep Chineese batteries these days and would prefer them to be in the cabin rather than the cargo hold. A pilot mate said at least he has a chance of controlling the fire if it goes caboom in the cabin.

Wally69 said:
:rolleyes: Not sure there is much benefit in taking a coin detector on a plane. I have checked behind the seats on numerous occasions and have never found any gold, only crusty old peanuts and soggy chips. :eek:

I think you will find the 305 will be too long for carry-on. I have rolled my 705 in a swag once and on another occasion had it in a bag with the poles sticking out the end about 12". They went on as 'oversized' and was marked fragile so they packed it on top, :rolleyes: perhaps. They made it to the other end safely on both occasions.

Airlines are paranoid about cheep Chineese batteries these days and would prefer them to be in the cabin rather than the cargo hold. A pilot mate said at least he has a chance of controlling the fire if it goes caboom in the cabin.
:lol: :lol: :lol: . I will probably take it apart and put it in carry on with the batteries removed.

Went to NZ last year. Packed the SDC in a suitcase checked through luggage with Emirates. No issues.

I did find an Australian $2 coin at a rest stop and other nz coins in caravan parks along the way.

RS

We took the SDC and ATX to Hawaii on Qantas, Hawaiian and Jetstar. We packed them in the baggage.
Also flew Mackay to Perth on Virgin with the SDC in the hand luggage. I left all the batteries in place because they are more concerned with loose batteries than the ones in the machine. The spare batteries I put in the battery charger with a bit of packing to prevent them from moving.

Phil

yes i went throught security fine with my detector taken apart and put in carry on. when it went though screening they called me over and i thought they were going to tell me i cant take it but the lady just said that i had to take my laptop out and screen it sepretly.

Hi Guys,
Any advice on how best to travel on domestic planes with detectors? Lithium battery in detector or separate? Check in or hand held? One piece or separated? Airline fine print on lithium batteries gets complicated however the size of the gpx and gpz should be ok, just interested in others experience and safest (esp for the detector) style of package etc when traveling. Thanks in advance:) Stru

Stu I would check with the airlines themselves, that way you should have no problems when you check in at the airport. Safe travels where ever you are going.

Cheers, DD

A lot of chatter on RC forums regarding this...although the ones i predominately visit are US origin so laws may differ somewhat.

Generally speaking...Lipo's are restricted by size & quantity, and if your only talking about 2 or 3 7.4v 3A batteries, just put them in "cabin carry on hand luggage" as they don't like them in the storage hold underbelly.

Again though...check with the Airline your flying with.

Cheers

Pretty sure all lithium ion that are spare batteies are to go on carry on.

But seeing how minelab batteries are separate form the detector i would be bringing them in carry on :) on the off chance that they short in the hold......

Well I just got a New PI machine that Is the first one of it's type bought in to the Country I found out that it is ok if you Tape up the connectors to Avoid it sparking and they are happy, but I would normally put the control box and a small coil hooked up and carry it as hand luggage so they can see it working and not be seen as something that is a threat to mankind,

PS, I did not use certain words because I do not want government bodies or lunatics making their way to these pages, Or because due to certain words would flag up this place to such parties,

john

Use the search facility please Stru,
This has been well covered previously.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12452

1443161601_capture.jpg

Just wondering what the requirements of taking a detector on a aircraft have GPZ 7000 and 2300 heard that you might be able to take the batteries has anybody taking their detectors on a flight any information would help thanks.. :cool:

Latest posts