Advice on Flying / Plane Trips With A Detector + batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody travelled on a plane with their detector?
I'm traveling to Queensland and wanted to find out the best way to put them on the plane or how to pack them up to go in the hold.

Wrapped mine in my swag and it went in the hold. It was a FT-1600 so if it went missing it probably wouldn't matter.

I have heard of GPX-5000 owners take their boxes in their carry on, if I had one that is what I would do. Don't think the shafts would be allowed as carry on.

i recommend as above , remove the main control box and take that in your carry on, the shafts pull apart to pack down quite small , just wrap everything with bubblewrap or buy an aluminium box for your detector , they are about $ 250 .

If you lose parts off a detector they can all be purchased seperately except for the main control box

If you lose that you have to buy a whole new detector.

Hi,

Has any one had any problems taking Li-Ion battery's (Lucky Lark battery pack) on to International flights (UK)?
I believe they are not aloud in the suet case and only aloud on with hand carry on luggage. Is this right. I'm waiting for the travel agent to get back to me but I'm asking people who have already travailed.

Thanks.

Yes that is correct - I've travelled to Dubai and the USA over the last 12 months and was asked at every checkpoint - I put my batteries in my checked in luggage without an issue - so I think it is the other way around - not in the cabin.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. :D
I don't care if I have to put it in the check in luggage or the cabin. I just don't want to be told I cant take it and end up having to leave it at the air port as I have no one to pick it up for me if that happened. I guess I can just check with them as I check in. But if your confident I can take it one way or the other then I'm happy.

Thanks

I didn't know till recently you can not post an IPhone with Australia Post overseas. Wanted to send my old one to my wife's family in Thailand- no go with Battery!

Thanks guys,

Just got a email from the travel agent saying that a Li-ion battery (lucky Lark) are a dry battery and are to be put in to the checking luggage, not the carry on bag.

So you are spot on Paulmarr. Thanks :D

Could you guys give me some advice.
Just starting the hobby of gold detecting.
Going to New Zealand, for holiday, missus has family there.
Would like to take detector with me.
Should I purchase a soft or hard carry case?
I could put padding around the detector in the soft carry case.

Has anyone had experience transporting a metal detector on a plane?

I travel regularly by plane and although I don't have experience transporting detectors I would suggest the hard case. I lost a laptop that was packed in a soft backpack after wrapping it in layers of "padding" and inserting it into the middle of the clothing in the pack. it was well protected from any reasonable shock it would experience from being dropped or thrown by baggage handlers but it appears that a hard corner from someone else's case landed dead centre of my bag unfortunately soft padding will not protect sensitive equipment from this kind of impact (the laptop was old and worth very little in my case and so the loss was not significant)

I believe a hard case can be locked and while you can lock zippers on soft cases a standard ballpoint pen will undo an zip by simple insertion

Unless your going to a country where they are illegal, cant see any reason why not. Remove the batteries, and bubblewrap the screen unit, or anything plastic.....bags get thrown.

I am probably going to take the whole thing apart and put it all in carry on and if they say i can't i will put it in the other bag. and yes i will be sure NOT to take either one of my leach digging tools. i don't want security to be called :lol:

Not sure what batteries you have.

1435149603_capture.jpg

I have taken my detectors over seas on a plane and just had it all packed up and put in my main suit case. Didn't leave a lot of room for clothes but priorities come first. I never worried about removing batterys or any thing like that also had my pick and other prospecting stuff Jamed into there as well. Never had any problems and doubt I probably ever will in the future. Its mainly carry on lougage they have the real issue with. Butlike as stated make sure that country allows detectors there to beguin with. All the best Kim. :)

I am about to head to WA with my SDC 2300. securely tucked up in my backpack as carry on. I contacted the airline with the same question and they responded with the all clear as carry on as per Redfins note above.(from their dangerous goods dept) They put a PS on the bottom saying that any spare batteries must be taken as CARRY ON.

I will be taking a copy of the email with me in case I encounter any problems.

PS I hope the biggest problem will be getting back with the excess baggage ............GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Cheers

Latest posts