Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the Garrett, worth it's weight in gold, saves a lot of time.
Wife has used it with the GPX 5000, she tucks it in her belt in the small of her back and has to date not to experienced any interference.

I have a Garrett Pro Pointer x2 and the Minelab pointer, if i was going to save myself some bucks i would go the Garrett, if i was going to compare i would go the Garrett, they are both much of a muchness but they do find small targets in your heap. I still use the sweep the crud over the coil method, but not anywhere near as much as i used to.

Go the Garret and i have no affiliation :)

Wow glad I read this was about to get myself a cheapy from ebay... might wait til I find it in coins and get a minelab...

Hi, my question is. Does anyone use rechargeable batteries in these and if so what type? thanx. :)

Heres my lineup

all much of a muchness to me

tools3.jpg

After gaining interest from an other member's post I did some youtube searching & came across this vid tip to help gain depth & sensitivity with a Garret Pin Pointer. It's only a short vid but explains easy how to do it. Seems to near double the depth...(Air test.)

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/FUlewb1xGN8[/video]

I wouldn't be without one coin hunting. I like the Minelab profinder better than the Garretts.

The Minelab is better quality, but, regardless of youtube vids placed up by dealers, I find the Garretts heaps more sensitive and quicker to use.

Gold detecting I don't use either as I find them both hopeless in mineralized ground and far quicker to to it all by hand.

Land Rover said:
G,day Kingsolomon,

Started detecting with a Mate 30yrs ago with the old green Garrets and I finally purchased a Minelab pinpointer about 3 weeks ago ,,Gotta move with the times, If God made anything better than Sex , Beer and Pinpointers He kept it to himself !!!!!!!

Hahah Landrover you made me laugh at that. We got ourselves a minelab one & it saves a lot of time - it does a great job.

Anyone like to share their opinion on which is the best pinpointer for coins and gold ?

And what kind of range might i expect them to give on small targets ?

Are we talking an inch or a few inches ?

Thank you muchly

Garrett pro i got works well ... 180 bucks... Recommended to me by others on this forum... Minelab seems about the same... Just more expensive ..

+1 for the Garrett Pro-Pointer, though I'm sure the ML is just as good.

In terms of range, expect around 1-3 inches on small targets, but it really depends on the size and type of metal.

I'd like to say the garrett pro pointer but I sent it back about 6 weeks ago. Worked for the first 5 finds the went ballistic if I turned it on, sounded like a fire engine. Haven't heard from them since!

Hi there, I think they are fairly similar in performance, however I understand the Garrett will interfere with your minelab gold detector if you are thinking of using it in the goldfields, even when it is turned off! I have the Minelab pointer and find it great as it is adjustable in sensitivity, not sure about the Garrett being adjustable. I am sure one of the garrett owners will be able to clear that up though.
Hope this helps,
Pedro

I've heard of plenty of guys using a Garrett Pro-Pointer with a Minelab detector with no problems at all. I think it's more of an issue with the GPX 5000 due to it's heightened sensitivity, but maybe one of the ML guys could comment on that as I couldn't say for sure.

In terms of boosting sensitivity on the Garrett, there is an external mod that can be applied but there's no built in adjustment. Have a search around the forum as a few guys have applied the mod to theirs. I just haven't got around to trying it out on mine yet but I will shortly.

Nugget.

Yes the Garrett can interfere with a GPX5000 even when switched off. No problem, just leave it on the quad or in the ute and go back and get it if you need it! Generally you're going back for the crow bar anyway lol

The ML pinpointer doesn't seem to interfere plus has the advantage of being adjustable which can be a bonus when trying to isolate a target in a deep hole or cap rock that has a fair amount of mineralization.

I use the ML as it came bundled with the CTX3030, no interference I wear it on my belt, doesn't seem to interfere even when I place the detector on the ground nearby to pinpoint a find though that may be due to the type of detector.

I was out detecting the other day with my 5000 and if my coil is within 2 feet of the Minelab pinpointer when I switch it on the 5000 screams, 3 feet is much less noise. Was running in Fine with 11in Commander coil. Pinpointer was turned up near maximum sensitivity though.

The Garrett interferes with the SD2200D on & off. It is a lot worse on but in saying that you only have to move the coil 2-3ft away from the hole & its ok (you can still hear it but not screaming at you). When its off it needs to be within about 1-2 foot to get any response but you wouldn't normally have it that close to the coil when turned off to worry about it.
I can't say it definitely doesn't cause some interference just by wearing it though as I have always had it on me (I might be used to it?) - I'll leave it in the car next time & see if there is any difference but if there was I would think it would be minimal as the old SD seems to be running fairly quite even with it on my belt?

Latest posts