Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both the same as i have both, but the minelab is better when using it around gpx series detectors my garrett sends gpxs nuts and usually they need to be sheilded in tinfoil i havent tried to supertune the minelab but the garrett supertuned gives you 2 to 3 inches more depth

G,day All,

Hope I wasn,t taken the wrong way when I said I had the Minelab ,,,,,,, Like the Man said Holden V Ford You will be a lot happier when You have a pointer !!!!!!

Regards L/R

Land Rover said:
G,day All,

Hope I wasn,t taken the wrong way when I said I had the Minelab ,,,,,,, Like the Man said Holden V Ford You will be a lot happier when You have a pointer !!!!!!

Regards L/R
Not at all.

I just have a garrett detector so staying with one brand seems fair.

Thanks for any help people have been giving me... Just wondering how essential pin pointers are. Do I really need one? I'm sure they could help , but as a newbie , is it a tool that will help me develop or something to get later on? Any help would be much aprieciated...thanks

Oh and by the way , any manufacturer names , if I need one , would be nice too..... Thanks again...

G,day Kingsolomon,

Started detecting with a Mate 30yrs ago with the old green Garrets and I finally purchased a Minelab pinpointer about 3 weeks ago ,,Gotta move with the times, If God made anything better than Sex , Beer and Pinpointers He kept it to himself !!!!!!!

Certainly helps to keep your "Plug" to a minimum when your hunting coins and relics. I carry a Garret Pro pointer but very rarely use it for gold detecting and would put more emphasis on the purchase of a GPS when chasing Gold. Cheers Wal. ;)

Hey Kingsolomon, I've got the minelab one and love it, makes recovery of targets
pretty quick, but yeah not really needed if other purchases are more important.

A luxury I'd say.

Just flick your machine to cancel or lower your gain
If your using a massive coil
They could be handy
But not essential I have one
It lives in the cupboard for the rest of its life lol :lol:

Hi Kingsolomon,

The pin pointers are definitely a very handy piece of equipment to have on board. I've used the Garret Pro Pointer for a few years with ease but on this trip I've noticed the GPX5000 doesn't like it anywhere within about six feet of the coil, even while switched off so be aware when it's on your person. Previously used it with a Garret Infinium LS detector without an issue. They do make life easy though! Great piece of kit.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Depends on which detector you have. I was told that the Garrett Pro Pointer will interfere with a ML, even switched off. Others may be able to confirm this.
ML have made their own Pro Finder tuned to their machines, more expensive than the Garrett ( :eek: oh, really!)
Mine has saved me a lot of digging. At times it's been very useful when the nugget is small and elusive after you've got it out of the hole.
If you've dug a deep hole, which means you've had to dig a wide hole so you can swing the detector, it can show you which side of the hole to dig ..often difficult to pick using the coil alone.
(They're also fun at barbies showing you mates where the pins in your ankle are :lol: )
Personally, I wouldn't be without mine. There have been days when I've had it going almost every hole.

I have been meaning to get one for a while, for big nuggets in calcrete over west. I have a perfect strike rate so far, have hit every nugget over over 10g with my pick no matter how careful I am. I sell most of them to the refiner so pick marks dont really matter. But it would be a cool toy.

DD

Use mine all the time, i have the Minelab one....
Makes my target recovery a lot quicker so well worth it for me....
Good thing it that it does not interfere with the GPX :)

Cheers

i swear by my garrett propointer, I lost my first one and felt lost without it! bought another one, will never hunt without one again! it speeds the recovery up 10 folds

I got the new Nokta pinpointer, NOT WORTH THE $.. Get a Pistol Probe, or the Garrett.. Other brands are just lacking.

Latest posts