Advice needed on my sluice - pics attached

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months ago i purchased my first sluice, and built a stand with legs for it.
Ive used the sluice in a local stream a couple of times, but havent yet taken it out to try it on the stand i built.
A mate of mine has some prospecting experience, but told me that he thought the sluice might be a bit steep if i use it on the stand.
I have attached a few pics of it, and was hoping some of you could give me their opinion if it is to steep.
I guess i could just push the back legs into the ground to alter the slope if needed.
Cheers!

1382496103_003_1.jpg

1382496143_004_2.jpg

1382496158_005_1.jpg

1382496174_006_2.jpg

The main issue your going to have is finding level ground for the stand to sit on, adjustable legs are the way to go then you can adjust the box and the stand.

How long is it? If you start on 1" per foot. (2.5cm/per 30cm) its hard to tell the pitch of it just from the photos. Need the length and the amount it drops from front to back.
That's a good start. Then you can adjust for water flow
2nd balx is right. Adjustable legs is the way to go.
Or you will spend half the day moving rocks to get level ground in the river.

Too steep as is. Like others said - adjustable legs.
What method u using to supply water?
Spray bar or a water manifold?

I have a small spirit level attached to the side of my highbanker set at 17.5 so when we are out for a trip we know roughly where it should be set.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
I will most likely be bringing home my classified material, and running it thru the sluice at home at the dam.
The ground is pretty flat, so that souldn't be an issue. I like the collapsible legs Headbut, something ill look into if i decide to use the sluice near the streams. The sluice is 45 inches, ill do the maths and work out a more suitable angle to use.
Ag Man thats my next step, trying to work out how the hell to fit a spray bar to it.
Thanks again for all your input.

Go for the adjustable legs especially if there is usable water at the site. I started with fixed legs before I found this forum, they were a source of extreme frustration.
Lots of experience and a great amount of help here. If my boys go out, they move 3 tonne + in a day, impossible to carry that lot home. Hope you do well.

Latest posts