Advice about buying 1st detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoldProspectn said:
I saw the Gold Bug Pro on eBay for $565.00, but I'm not sure if it's authentic or not.
Some guy on Youtube recently bought a Gold Bug Pro on Wish for $350...
I'm just wondering if these are genuine units or not and how can you tell?

I'm thinking maybe even something that Kogan offers might be suitable, $88.95 and the metal detector claims to have 16cm below the surface sensitivity.
Those Gold Bug Pro will be certain fakes! The only way to be sure is to buy from an authorised dealer.
The $88.95 Kogan might be ok to ping a few coins in parks but will likely be useless on the goldfields. They won't handle the mineralisation at all.

There's no cheap or easy way out.

If you are keen on gold you will need to be prepared to spend $2k on a secondhand machine or $4k on
newer one all the Kogan machines are very low end coin shooters.
Your choices will be QED very interesting machine for the monry, Gold monster 1000, equinox 800 or some good secondhand beasts.

Lots of choice but dont rush in and buy a cheap machine expecting to find gold.
You could put a wanted to buy on this forum and see what pops up,

Cheers and good luck.

HH

No, but they can detect shallow, large gold in ground without too much mineralization. Just depends on whether there is easy gold in your area, and the fact is that most of the easy gold in Australia was found more than 100 years ago. I've had an equinox 800 for nearly 2years and spent probably a couple of hundred hours detecting goldfields for bugger all gold.

Hey GoldProspectn
Where abouts in Spencer gulf are you located.
I am near that area and have a coupple of machines, we may be able to organize a time to swing and see if it's for you before you buy.
Be prepared to find alot of nothing or junk and likely no gold though but never know.
I am sure theres gold in the ranges somewhere

Nightjar said:
GoldProspectn, You are wasting your time wandering around blindly. Research is essential or you will be rapidly disallusioned. Maybe some info here: http://www.tysaustralia.com/goldrushsouthaustralia.html

Thanks for that Nightjar brought back some memories. I found my first Gold at dead horse gully
, Mt Crawford when my old Dad retired 42 years ago. A 5 gram & I've still got it bit of a keepsake I guess
cheers

Nightjar said:
GoldProspectn said:
There's some gold, I've seen vids of people finding nuggets. But, it seems to get there I'll need a 2-3 hour drive from where I'm located.
I might try this gold panning idea before I buy a detector to see if I can find gold in this location I'm scouting. I think that's the wiser choice.

You haven't begun and you seem to be knocking a 2-3 hour drive?
Have been detecting since the early 80's and it hasn't been uncommon to to go weeks/months without finding gold, not to mention 1000's of km's along the way.
There are Eastern Staters who come to WA every year and some don't even cover expenses.
Not trying to put you off this wonderful hobby GP but remember, "It don't come easy."

Good luck.
So true.
My best Shiraz supplier heads over to WA at least twice a year. Theres plenty of good travel experiences to be told. It isnt all about the gold in the pan apparently.

Latest posts