A Tale of Two Outings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks since my last outing then off I go on two consecutive days to two different places but both quite old.

The first outing was to an old goldfield site that seems to keep giving. My last post from this site indicated my surprise that we got any more Chinese coins (my share was 10 and all up I think we got just over 30). This time I got 11 Chinese coins and a few British coppers. My find of the day was the tennis buckle. It has a number on it but I've not had time to research it as I prepare to go south for my gold trip next week. I also got 2 more tokens - that's 6 in my last 3 outings.

1521256572_p1050997.jpg

1521256591_p1060001.jpg

1521256605_p1050999.jpg

1521256622_p1060002.jpg

1521256635_p1060003.jpg

The second outing was to 3 sites. The land belonged to one of Canberra's first settlers and dates back to the 1820s. We had to be guided into the main site (the original homestead) by a station worker and saw the other 2 sites on the way through. A high clearance vehicle, preferably 4wd, was necessary to get in there but overall an easy trip. After climbing down through acres of scotch thistles to the remnant chimney I was quite looking forward to the hunt on such an old site and we were first detectorists. Well, a bit of a fizzer but worthwhile to go back. The thistles and length of grass/scrub were just too thick to allow us to do justice to the area. But we did as much as we could. Best find was the mother of pearl cufflink.

It was getting quite hot as lunch time approached and we walked back up the hill and drove back to the second site.

Lunch in the shade with fantastic views. The second site was an old shearing area. Lots of junk in certain locations but no goodies. It was really starting to annoy me with the heat and all and no pocket full of goodies.

We were driving out of the paddock and came across the 3rd site. The station hand knew nothing of the area but suspected there might have been a rabbiter's shack there at some stage. Given the paucity of our finds I actually drove past the site then backed up. Well, I'm glad I did. On the ground inspection showed the remains of a very small stone dwelling. Probably only one room but it had a small line of stone remaining that indicated to me it could have been the front wall facing east. Perhaps, hopefully, a little verandah. A bit of gardening and relocation of some stones was needed but, yep, I found 5 coins, all 1860s and 1870s, within about 2 metres of each other and all pretty well in a line against or near to the stone line.

1521256655_p1060004.jpg

1521256668_p1060006.jpg

A long time to wait now before my next coin and relic venture and I am really looking forward to my first gold hunt in 8 months. 10 days detecting. You beauty.

Another good couple of sessions Dan

The tennis Buckle is a ripper

Amazing how many Chinese coins have shown up

Now for some Gold !

Some very nice finds there, the tennis buckle is a unique and cool find! Have you tried to date any of the Chinese coins, will be interesting see how old some of them are. :Y:

Goldpick said:
Some very nice finds there, the tennis buckle is a unique and cool find! Have you tried to date any of the Chinese coins, will be interesting see how old some of them are. :Y:

I used to try to date some. Can be interesting. I've got quite a few and each one takes a lot of time (I must be slow).

Latest posts