A NSW Prospector - Hi Guys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Bit about myself...Club manager with a passion for adventure. A keen freshwater trout fisherman I realised the Quartz rock I was tripping over to get to the next sweet spot in the river.....might be holding some yellow stuff. Did some investigation and next thing ive dropped the rods and holding dads Xterra 70 and floundering over snakes and lizzards looking for the Holterman Nugget part 2. More research and ive purchased panning kits, a highbanker and perfecting plans for a reversible Walbanker. Love the Turon, done the Hillend and Sofala deal and have started venturing out to the "not so publicised spots". My first venture out past the advertised haunts yielded some good colour with a prospecting party hand picked over beer and hope...and a desire to get out of Sydney for a weekend.
1382335927_goldtrip1.jpg

I love the challenge, I love the serenity of nature even though i'm shit scared of snakes and stuff when i'm out there. Wife thinks im crazy, but follows behind with headphones and Iphone and sets up the camp site....If I don't find that nugget soon my relationship is in trouble! Dearly want a GPX but an SD (quietly looking and saving) may have to do for the time being.

Taking another trip to the chunky spot above at the end of the year....with some fellow prospecting buddies who were also keen to investigate further. I feel i'm only inches away from validation....

Am I fever bound forever or is this just a passing fad? Any advice appreciated!

Peter

Welcome to the forum Peter...By the sound of that intro the fever has set in so bad that there's not much hope for you any more.. :eek: :eek: Great to see the wife is there to keep some sort of balance to the weekends. Great to mix the prospecting with the likes of trout fishing. Now the only new accessory you need to invest in is a set of goggles and a snorkel, and have a go at sniping.

Hope you get a lot of satisfaction from reading the forum threads, and look forward to many more pics of gold.....and a few of those trout.

All the best out there and keep the stories coming,

Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks Wal, ive watched plenty of you and Liz vids to give me inspiration, if I can only get my wife inspired...she's on the fence at the moment. The last trip (my first trip without her) and she's yelling Brokeback mountain stuff which hurts. Skin peeling from my neck, sore arm from digging, tiny rattle in the gold jar and blisters on feet. Yep the fever is in full swing but what a nice fever to have! She can crack a snakes head while I run the other way, she sees ducks by a pond and I have to remind her "we are not allowed eat those hun"...just need to show her a decent nugget and she may change her tune! I'm currently Mr Gold Fever and my "toy" collection is getting bigger. My best find is a Zippo lighter down near Lane Cove River testing dads detector. Ive got 3 takeaway containers with bullets/1/2 horseshoes and weird lead pieces mixed with ironstones and old timers nails and buttons, and a half gram ebay nugget to field test my DD coil! I've got it bad!

Peter

Welcome Peter i have the sad job of informing you that you are hooked the good news is it is great fun and keeps you healthy so a bonus
Hope you find heaps

I am a bit worried about your wife and ducks though i may have to be careful lol

Thanks mate, wifes a farm girl not from around here, used to make charcoal as a kid on the farm to pay for food so anything that moves is potential dinner! She can whip us a storm with rice, chilli and fish sauce!

Peter

The big secret is pick a nice shady campsite by the river and make sure she has all the creature comforts in the book....And by all means ...chase away those snakes. ;) If she enjoys the camping experience then you're already half way there. :)

Have your first lot of alluvial gold melted down into a ring (designed by yourself) for her xmas pressie...and you'll find that purchasing all those toys....needed for future jewelery presents, will seem more necessary to her...not.... :|

Best of luck and hope it all comes up trumps mate, :)

Cheers Wal.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a new member myself but have found the site to full of good info and friendly people. :)

Welcome Peter. You're definitely one of us. A dreamer, an explorer, a fun lover and yes maybe a fledgling poet who would be proud to introduce his other half as his personal gold digger.
Again welcome and hope to meet you and yours in the traps some day.
John.

Thanks guys, as long as we r not too far from "wheres the gold" pokies the wifes ok. Even Hill End pub has one. Their happy hours lost me 2 days in the field this year...completely left the campsite for two days thanks to VB and Mudgee wine, and cheap accommodation all paid for my Mahcine number 3- wifes shout! That adventure also got me back to Sofala 3 weeks later playing in the Hill end pool comp vs Sofala! We won so u'll see our names on the plaque if you ever swing by the Royal at Hill End. she got the "Chearleader Prize". Lol.

Anyway, lookin to bet back to our secret "chunky gold" spot and do some more recon. So far the cardboard cut out of the Reversable Walbanker sitting in the living room while I stare at it and make final adjustments before the cut!

Peter

Welcome!
Nice find at lane cove... The zippo! I go down there at night for squid and do well . Also , I head out to sofala , mudgee , gulgong regular . Let me know when your out that way next , maybe a catchup for a beer .
I'm from northern beaches...
Cheers

Welcome along to the forums Peter.

Sounds like you're one of us already! You'll fit right in here with the rest of us prospecting addicts ;)

Greatly looking forward to hearing all about your adventures. Nice flakes in that pan photo too. Wonderful stuff.

All the best out there.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Lane cove squid...you'll have to tell me where! I'm only a walk away from Lane Cove River. Squid are mars bars for nice Kingies, but the boat has been parked in the driveway now for 12 months due to work. Too tired to take the boat out yet I seem capable of shovelling dirt and bush bashing in full prospecting gear. I need a holiday after my prospecting adventures but that's all forgotten a few days later and planning my next trip. Im sure you guys know the feeling.

Will be investing in a Hero 3 + Go Pro so I can start videoing my adventures. Prospecting is not a cheap hobby!

Peter

You certainly got the fever bad Pete, and to leave the boat in the driveway for the past 12 months is totally sinful. Good idea that Go Pro though, as we can never have too many prospecting videos to watch. Look forward to catching up on the stream one day mate,

Cheers Wal.

Squid!
Yeah we get a lot off arrows there, my mate would cry if you you said you were using them for bait( ssssh , dont tell him I do too! ) ... Just make sure it hasn't rained recent , high tide better , smallish squid jig , say two to three inch shallow running in orange or pink . And if there fussy ,fish slower with natural color . Straight under the bridge or off the mooring pontoon near the boat ramp works best . Go at night after the boats have come back in.fish the shadow edge of the lights.
Barney

Kingsolomon said:
Squid!
Yeah we get a lot off arrows there, my mate would cry if you you said you were using them for bait( ssssh , dont tell him I do too! ) ... Just make sure it hasn't rained recent , high tide better , smallish squid jig , say two to three inch shallow running in orange or pink . And if there fussy ,fish slower with natural color . Straight under the bridge or off the mooring pontoon near the boat ramp works best . Go at night after the boats have come back in.fish the shadow edge of the lights.
Barney

My bad!
Was talking about Roseville over the hill... I do fish at lane cove as well. Think that's why I got confused....
:)

Roseville - my favourite boat ramp! Also Huntleys Point is good for School Jewies in between Ferries. My last fishing was freshwater- the Turon...secret spot that rocks when the water levels are ok. I also suspect theres gold hiding in them hills Im just not sure where. A 50kg nugget found at Capertee means its very close. Wouldn't that be a nice weekend find!

Peter

Think I might know your spot on the turon.... I also got some good info on trout that way where you wouldn't expect them for the time of year ( hint) .. You know where I mean?
From memory think I have got squid near the bridge crossing at lane cove ... Big high tide . Do you chase bass?...

Ive tried for Bass on the Nepean but just not my cup of tea. Trout waters give me something that other fishing does not. I think its the fresh water streams I love-cant beat it. Now that ive made a connection with gold in those same areas I can never get bored! Pan in one hand, little celta lure and rod combo in the other...I cant loose. If the trout aren't biting I can scope for yellow. But the gold fever has come on strong so have ignored the trout lately!

Peter

Latest posts