2017 detector finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Cool pic GP, almost certainly garnet and zircon, very nice. Now will they be staying in the original setting or being recycled into a new setting for Mrs GP? :)

Staying as is I reckon, starting to get a bit of a collection of Victorian era jewellery now.

The missus can buy her own! :p

Another top hunt GP
Hell of a lot of bending squating kneeling standing going on with that lot ....again :rolleyes:
Love those dog tags, still bloody amazed at the necessity of them so early on, but GREAT for you SA guys
You must have a swag of them now :D

Goldpick said:
Heatho said:
Cool pic GP, almost certainly garnet and zircon, very nice. Now will they be staying in the original setting or being recycled into a new setting for Mrs GP? :)

Staying as is I reckon, starting to get a bit of a collection of Victorian era jewellery now.

The missus can buy her own! :p

Classic, lol. :lol:

Sandta said:
Another top hunt GP
Hell of a lot of bending squating kneeling standing going on with that lot ....again :rolleyes:
Love those dog tags, still bloody amazed at the necessity of them so early on, but GREAT for you SA guys
You must have a swag of them now :D

Yep, a lot of sqatting involved, and even though I have a full length detecting shovel, I still prefer to extract the old and often more fragile targets with hand tools. It would be a real shame to scratch any of the better finds unnecessarily.

Dog tag heaven down here, and I haven't even gotten to the old pound site yet for a detect! ;)

Third visit to the old ruins today, this time with Mrs Goldpock in tow to try her luck. She was happy enough to find a 1924 penny and a couple of buttons before being to tired to carry on. I gave her a go on the F75, can't say she liked it much opting to go back to the tried and familiar Teknetics G2.

Ground conditions got pretty horrendous the further we advanced to the North, lots of buried iron junk well and truly masking anything of worth. Still managed a penny on the northern most extremities of the site, so the finds have been dragged a long way from the original ruins.

Did well once again, only two coins including an 1862 Vic penny, and a coin that had me baffled for several minutes turned out to be a US 1880 Indian Head penny (one cent) - a definite first for me.

Yet more dog tags, a lightly scratched larger 1894-1895 tag :/ , though made up for it with another 1886-87 & a 1901-02 tag.

Other items include a pair of lead horse legs, two round patterned lead belt buckles, 3 pocket watch bezels, pocket watch winder, pocket knife, 14 buttons, and a cool engraved jewllery piece - not sure whether it is jade that has been engraved with the initials.

More photos will follow with items cleaned, and field shots. :)

1489396500_img_20170313_194439.jpg

1489396518_img_20170313_194541.jpg

That looks like you needed a wheel barrow for the finds :eek: :Y: is there still plenty of targets?
Some awesome finds coming from that site :cool: :Y:

Thanks Danny, been meaning to use this Nikon AW130 for a while now - whilst it's a superceded model, being waterproof and shockproof with FullHD video, it's a great companion for this type of activity. Got it for a bargain run out price, and is just the right size to attach to your detecting pouch belt, and most importantly it is easy to use. :)

1489488074_img_20170314_212538.jpg

Nice work GP :eek: even the worms wanted to watch :lol: :lol: looks like you've got a complete pocket watch in parts there :eek:
Makes you wonder if they pulled it apart to fix it
Any idea on the L&M badges that are showing up? or is it F&M :rolleyes: :Y:

B5MECH said:
Nice work GP :eek: even the worms wanted to watch :lol: :lol: looks like you've got a complete pocket watch in parts there :eek:
Makes you wonder if they pulled it apart to fix it
Any idea on the L&M badges that are showing up? or is it F&M :rolleyes: :Y:

No idea as yet, no doubt relates to the previous occupant/s - just another piece of the jigsaw. :)

Latest posts