1c and 2c love hate

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1468213373_20160711_145803.jpg

1.7kg of these stinking things this year so far. Only one good thing about them, if I am getting them no one has been there before me.

Yep GW, they drive us all nuts. My AT Pro screams its lungs out and they are worth nothing........apart from copper price. Be nice if they were gold nuggets HaHa!

I believe a bank still will accept them, if you try one with an old style counting machine, The one at warriewood square has been removed and the one at the mall is a new one and it won't take them, :mad: Think I have about $30 of them, which is more than copper price.

I do my best to ignore and not bother with 1c 2c 5c 10c at all - 20c and 50c I do pick if I am wanting to pad out my time and depending on the day and location.

But in general; I will skip all coin other than $1 and $2.

AngerManagement said:
I do my best to ignore and not bother with 1c 2c 5c 10c at all - 20c and 50c I do pick if I am wanting to pad out my time and depending on the day and location.

But in general; I will skip all coin other than $1 and $2.

Problem with the BB's is they are so close to florries and shillings I always dig quite a few each session to make sure I'm not missing silvers. Though when I get a 12:42 TID and then it changes to a 17:42 I usually leave it as I know it's 2c, same with a 11 or 12:41 that goes up to 15:41 usually ends up being 1c.

Probably miss a few silvers that way but saves digging alot of BB's

I reject most moders udger $1 as well. If a 50c is shallow I'll dig it but.... usually leave them for future detectorists. :) Depends if I'm hunting gold rings too, when I am I'll get a few 10c and 20c in the bucket.

Yeah Heath I have lost count of the amount of times I have called a 2c piece and it turns out to be a shilling or a sixpence. I got a 1931 shillings in the same hole as a 1c surrounded by junk and it told me 12-40, if you want silver you get the bb's.

I got the same Issue with ring pulls/Pull tabs, Pull Tabs come in around 10 to 26 +/- depending on the type, But where it all goes tits up for me is that 800 year old hammered cut half silver pennies come in at 12 to 24 and most Roman copper coins come in at 16 to 30, So if I disc out ring pulls or most of the UK's modern Coins I loose the ring pulls and the Cut halfs and the Roman Coins

Pommie coins on the MXT, 1p= 14-28, 2p= 82-83, 5p= 14-16, 10p= 20-22, 20p= 24-28, 50p= 22-26, 1= 65-67, 2= 74-75

But since I tested these coins they have started making their clad coins that now come up in the Iron Range, So if you disc out a Nail you will loose coins, I have even dug the coins listed with lumps of corroded Iron coming out of them, So they have been making them out of junk metal for a long time since the early 2000s,

This is why I make a fuss about fast machines because when you throw in 4500-5000 years of metal working It makes it so hard to find the Good stuff, I hit coins over the 12 inch mark on a regular basis but it is finding them is the hard part and using the disc to knock out junk will cost you coins that can be worth $000s,

John.

goldwright said:
Yeah Heath I have lost count of the amount of times I have called a 2c piece and it turns out to be a shilling or a sixpence. I got a 1931 shillings in the same hole as a 1c surrounded by junk and it told me 12-40, if you want silver you get the bb's.

Same here mate, has happened quite a lot. Good thing is the BB's won't grow back. :)

Ridge Runner said:
I got the same Issue with ring pulls/Pull tabs, Pull Tabs come in around 10 to 26 +/- depending on the type, But where it all goes tits up for me is that 800 year old hammered cut half silver pennies come in at 12 to 24 and most Roman copper coins come in at 16 to 30, So if I disc out ring pulls or most of the UK's modern Coins I loose the ring pulls and the Cut halfs and the Roman Coins

Pommie coins on the MXT, 1p= 14-28, 2p= 82-83, 5p= 14-16, 10p= 20-22, 20p= 24-28, 50p= 22-26, 1= 65-67, 2= 74-75

But since I tested these coins they have started making their clad coins that now come up in the Iron Range, So if you disc out a Nail you will loose coins, I have even dug the coins listed with lumps of corroded Iron coming out of them, So they have been making them out of junk metal for a long time since the early 2000s,

This is why I make a fuss about fast machines because when you throw in 4500-5000 years of metal working It makes it so hard to find the Good stuff, I hit coins over the 12 inch mark on a regular basis but it is finding them is the hard part and using the disc to knock out junk will cost you coins that can be worth $000s,

John.

I was detecting on my cousins property last week trying to find an old lost gold lighter our other cousin lost many years ago, the property has been in their family for 150 years and has alot of very old trash. This site would have been perfect for a Deus as there are bits of old wire literally everywhere in places, made for difficult going with the CTX and 11" coil, there were maybe 10 bits of wire for every single sweep, a 6" coil probably would have been ok but I don't have one yet. I could still detect but it was difficult.

Got to get back there for a serious detect, bet there are some nice old coins and relics around the place.

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

I was detecting on my cousins property last week trying to find an old lost gold lighter our other cousin lost many years ago, the property has been in their family for 150 years and has alot of very old trash. This site would have been perfect for a Deus as there are bits of old wire literally everywhere in places, made for difficult going with the CTX and 11" coil, there were maybe 10 bits of wire for every single sweep, a 6" coil probably would have been ok but I don't have one yet. I could still detect but it was difficult.

Got to get back there for a serious detect, bet there are some nice old coins and relics around the place.

The CTX should hit pre Decs at around 10 to 12 inches all day, I have seen them hit Monster depths on them 2 bob bits (florins) and it should hit the old half "a" Crowns from about 12 to 16" on a good day, I have hit them old pennies at close to those depths, The Half "a" crowns are 34mm across so be prepared to have your Ears blow off, When using the Etrac and the GT because they nulled out a lot I would stake out an area grid it one way making sure I did not miss anything over lapping all the time and then do it at 90 degrees and then at 45 degrees because where it would null from one direction it might not from another direction and I made some really good finds with the GT using that method and 24 hours after a nights rain it use to hit some very deep targets where as PI's don't like really wet ground VLF's come alive,

If you have a WOT coil for the CTX try turning the power up and shorten the shaft holding the coil about 4 or 5 inches off the ground and it will hit the deep targets and ignore the surface junk, you can do the same with the standard coil and it will work to a lesser effect,

HH,, John.

1c & 2c coins are all good in my book, usually means that the site has not been detected for pre-decimals. As Heatho mentioned, if you are not digging them, then you will be leaving certain pre-decs in the ground. The ID's on these small copper coins can be quite unpredictable, I've had some stupidly high conductivity numbers on them at times.

Might also pay to run the CTX with smaller Coiltek 10x5" coil in junky areas over the stock coil, should offer better target separation. :)

Goldpick said:
1c & 2c coins are all good in my book, usually means that the site has not been detected for pre-decimals. As Heatho mentioned, if you are not digging them, then you will be leaving certain pre-decs in the ground. The ID's on these small copper coins can be quite unpredictable, I've had some stupidly high conductivity numbers on them at times.

Might also pay to run the CTX with smaller Coiltek 10x5" coil in junky areas over the stock coil, should offer better target separation. :)

Yeah makes you wonder about the small coppers, especially 2c coins, I've had some come up to a 12:47 TID, that's chunky sterling silver range, and then others down around 17:42. Quite a bit of varience with them.

They might pinpoint smaller than the larger coins, but you just can't take the chance on leaving it in the ground in case it is a pre-decimal sitting at a funny angle.

Another thing to take into account is ground disturbance, the area might have been ripped and/or top dressed, leaving coins in peculiar positions in the ground. As a result, there is even the possibility that some older goldies could be situated a lot deeper than one would expect, or florins sitting near the surface. ;)

Lots of variables to take into account.

I normally grid am area with a smaller coil and once I have got all I can with that coil then I will change to a larger coil, One draw back with ML is there are no Concentric Coils which do ID and pin point better, and the other thing with these coils is they don't loose Sensitivity to Tiny Items where as DD's will,

John