1901 Medal Found With Equinox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, Ive been out in Melbourne this afternoon for an hour or so. Got to site before the rain hit hard( didnt stop me getting hit hard by the rain). Had a breakthrough and found my first trade token a w.c cook penny 1862, I am absolutely astounded I found this during such a quick session. Also found a 1922 threepence no overdate unfortunately :N: and a 1939 sixpence.
9128_BE85_2_CCB_4_AAC_9648_602_D17_B30_FA6.jpg

B5_E91124_26_AD_49_C3_B2_E9_2_AA0758_AFFBD.jpg

D4_A74_E07_D594_4_D78_948_B_32_EF62_FCFBF7.jpg

Cheers eve0001

Been out again for another hunt, weather was stunning yesterday but fouled today, which shortened my session. Ive been coming across areas with the thinnest layer of black sand and the coins are popping out in amongst it. I had a fun moment yesterday when the tide was coming in and there where three florins in a line all at depth and I got to them just under 2 minutes, never found em like that, quite thrilling, amongst the spoils was a 1918 threppy and a 1891 threepence.
97_C1_C543_59_A6_4301_8965_2489_A041_FC96.jpg

Cheers eve

Smoky bandit said:
Wow Awesome finds.. :eek:
You seem to get alot of cut pennies..Love to know the story behind that :Y:

Same mate, In my older posts a couple of others and I had theories. Im quite unsure, the cut up coins are full of intrigue.

Another absolutely awesome cleanup. 3 florins in 2 minutes calls for a :party: Are the cut coins all from the same beach or do you find them in more than one place?

Awesome outing on the silvers, the cut coppers are quite intriguing - must be some story behind them considering the sheer number of them. :Y:

I can honestly say that I have never seen a sight like that before :eek:

A full house of crusty silver and some and copper galor.

Still more and more of those copper quarters,it makes you wonder what people do with their time :rolleyes:

Silver :party:

Top effort :Y:

golddiggerart said:
Instead of pieces of eight they are pieces of pennies...lolol :) Brilliant to find a lot of predecimals sand silvers with so much crud, could be something extra special in that spot... :) :Y:

haha yeah Ill have a legit puzzle to put together if I can get all those quarters :lol:

Secret Squirrels said:
Stunning photo with the pink florries and shilling surrounded by all those cut pennies. 8) weird that the coppers are coming out cleaner than the silver. Nice hunting :Y:

Thanks SS, the coppers where heavily encrusted green to but the trick with the coppers is if you rub them straight after you dig them they clean up straight away, the silvers are a bit different for some sort of reason because of the way they react to the sand.

Nice array of silvers eve. :p
I recon the copper quarters were destined for the melting pot... I'd say a storm or a slipping mishap put an end to their journey. So either a jetty from the sailing ship days or a shipwreck nearby from the same era.
:Y: :cool: :Y:

That's interesting. Thanks for the info :Y: i will try it on my next beach visit. :)
eve0001 said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Stunning photo with the pink florries and shilling surrounded by all those cut pennies. 8) weird that the coppers are coming out cleaner than the silver. Nice hunting :Y:

Thanks SS, the coppers where heavily encrusted green to but the trick with the coppers is if you rub them straight after you dig them they clean up straight away, the silvers are a bit different for some sort of reason because of the way they react to the sand.

silver said:
I recon the copper quarters were destined for the melting pot... I'd say a storm or a slipping mishap put an end to their journey. So either a jetty from the sailing ship days or a shipwreck nearby from the same era.

Thanks for that info silver thats the best scenario Ive heard, Someone meaning to find another personal use for them whilst on the water, I dont think the government would have been demonetising them, they would simply melt them in Australia.

WOw so many targets! strange silver colour as well! Nice cut coins! Is funny people used to do that! :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

eve0001 said:
silver said:

Thanks for that info silver thats the best scenario Ive heard, Someone meaning to find another personal use for them whilst on the water, I dont think the government would have been demonetising them, they would simply melt them in Australia.
May have been going to transport them back to the mint by boat..... a penny was worth a fair bit back then, and if someone knocked em off along the way they would'a been useless to them.
Alternatively they could have been the useless proceeds of a crime committed that were flung into the sea in order to not have them hanging around someone's neck ,.... Robbing the crown was probably a capitol offense back then. :D

Had a prospect in Melbourne, first target was a 1929 one penny then the second target was a 1876 half penny also got my first military forces badge close to home, happy to tick that one off. Then decided to go goldfields and chase some yellow with the 3500, got defeated by the goldfields trash, all the good stuffs been cherry picked anyway, then for the last hour I switched to the equinox and headed up a hill to detect a small ruin and ended up getting this 1820-1830 shilling thats my oldest goldfield coin now so pretty happy with what Ive managed to pull together over last two days.
05_C3_E0_B2_4_CE4_4_A39_98_AD_88036_E4_DA7_D3.jpg

2322_E699_F75_E_4_EAD_AD21_454_C857_D7_B62.jpg

3_B12180_F_9680_40_F3_8_F1_B_6587_D97_C07_A4.jpg

Cheers eve

Latest posts