⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All nice finds guys :Y:
Can someone please explain to me how you can tell how much gold is in a specimen like kemjak57's beauty? How do you conduct the SG test to get an accurate measurement of what actually may be inside such a piece? Do you compare the specific gravity say of a similar piece of known quartz only from the same area?

Sorry if this sounds like a a dumb (_I_) question :8

BigWave said:
Moneybox said:
Very nice result kemjak57 but tell me, how do you get to prospect in a reserve where detectors are not allowed?
Hi MB. I've met the lease owner and can confirm that he has given kemjak standing permission to work there.

I didn't doubt his word BW ;) Simmo invited us out to his place when we were there a couple of years back but I have no doubt some of the locals go pretty much where they like over there. I think the ban on prospecting in that area is ridiculous. We just stuck to the river bank below flood level and came away with a few pieces and we were happy with that.

Deepseeker said:
All nice finds guys :Y:
Can someone please explain to me how you can tell how much gold is in a specimen like kemjak57's beauty? How do you conduct the SG test to get an accurate measurement of what actually may be inside such a piece? Do you compare the specific gravity say of a similar piece of known quartz only from the same area?

Sorry if this sounds like a a dumb (_I_) question :8
Not a dumb question. SG test as I did it. Weigh the specimen the put a container of water on the scales and zero the scales. With a piece of cotton to secure the specimen you submerge it in the water without touching the sides or bottom. Note the weight and divide the initial weight by the submerged weight. I did it 3 times with 3.4, 3.6 and 3.5. Average 3.5 grams. I think that is the way it works. My first time. Cheers

BigWave said:
Moneybox said:
Very nice result kemjak57 but tell me, how do you get to prospect in a reserve where detectors are not allowed?
Hi MB. I've met the lease owner and can confirm that he has given kemjak standing permission to work there.
Thanks mate I appreciate your support and I will stay quiet from now on. I understand the questioning because there has been some rubbish happening up there as posted in the past by lease holders. You can also see by what I wrote that it still happening. Thanks, regards KJ

Its a shame when you leave the lease for a short time and you return home to find people on site who have decided to take your chainsaw into safe keeping ( their car ) and they forgot to remember to to leave a note to tell you of there good deeds.Its always a disappointment when you discover that people will sell out there integrity and trust for small gain. Be very careful Of the people living on a lease north of the north palmer in a colourbond shed owned by a well respected deceased prospector.

1568540453_a9fd634c-27e6-482d-93f4-afbb29e282b3.jpg

A few small bits from the weekend. Getting harder to find every trip but still enough to feed the dog.

Congratulations AussieMate :Y: the 2300 is a ripper little machine, no stopping you now :power: :beer:

Latest posts