⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lesgold said:
Hi Folks,

Quite windy this morning so I decided to work in the bottom of a gully to stay out of the breeze. Plenty of work had been done in the creek and the adjoining banks over the years. The area was badly over grown and impossible to walk through. Vines, low scrub and blady grass made it tough going. Glad I took the 2300 with me as it would have been too difficult pushing through this terrain with a gpx. The leads would have been constantly caught up on twigs and vines. Noticed that someone had been in the area recently. Found a set of house keys that they must have dropped as they tried to push through. Spent quite a bit of time on hands and knees getting into some of the tighter areas. Only had one junk signal for the whole morning which was pleasing. Eventually ended up getting a signal in an unusual manner. Was checking an area under an overhang when I picked up a slight murmur as I pulled the coil out. Turns out that there was a target on the underside of of the overhang and the back of the coil picked it up. Reached down to grab my pick but it wasnt there. Gee that annoys me when it happens. It must have fallen out while I was crawling around on my hands and knees. Was lucky enough to be able to knock some material off with my scoop.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7074_6632bd19-b845-411b-9f21-571e4ddcc71c.jpg
(Unfortunately the angle of the photo doesnt clearly show the overhang. You will see some of the material that I dislodged with the scoop sitting next to the coil.)
The largest clump sounded off on the detector and I then knew that I was in with a good chance as it was a grey clay that quite often holds gold in this area. Eventually this nice little piece popped out.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7996_66377d78-f951-4033-ad92-6f616a2a6cfb.jpg
It was starting to warm up so I pulled the pin on a top morning out.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...8018_e526bfea-53d2-4b52-a0d5-e780a44675ba.jpg
Cheers

Les

Thats a nice sized nugget Les. Id be putting in a bit more time in that area.

Scored these with the monster using the small 5" coil
That thing is sensitive :perfect:

1567837627_20190905_125531-1862x1863.jpg

Hello all.
I went out this morning into Ballarat with my 11 year old son for a few chilly hours of detecting. It was our very first attempt at prospecting and we loved being out in the bush and are certain to keep up the hobby.
We found heaps of junk including several spent shotgun shells, a lead bullet and bullet casings, several old square nails, and an old metal shirt button. Unfortunately no gold to be found, but it was an experience to explore the old workings area and see it for ourselves instead of watching it all on YouTube.
One thing we noticed was the number of holes not filled in, and the junk iron found and thrown back into these holes by prospectors disappointed by their targets. Shame really as this behavior reflects on all prospectors.
Finally, I hope next time we can find some gold. I dont want my son to be disheartened with not finding gold on our days out.

LoneWolf said:
Nice Gold 20xwater :perfect: . Hope you staying safe with the fires near you...

LW....
Thanks mate, one sexy bit of gold ey,
Had an early day was so chuffed. 100% strike rate with the monster so far.
It's close to what I would love to find. On the front page of a gold gem and treasure mag back when I started was a specimen in a blokes hand that from memory looked like a piece of quartz vein held together by the gold.
Dux nuts bit I reckon.
Safe from the fires besides I got mines to take refuge in ?

1568361584_db4bf1a7-58f0-4428-8493-cf847dd2ed9b.jpg

Some bits from around Kalgoorlie the last month,the boss was out solo today and came back with the pieces on the bottom of the scales,bigger one 13.5gr (and its a nice piece to!),bigger bits up the top went 8.5 and 13.5 again.....

Video of the 13.5 gr bit,put ya hands over your ears if ya dont like swear words. lol
https://youtu.be/OcUWgDL4TMA

Yesterday was recovery day after a big trip home from Malaysia. We left our hotel at midday on Wednesday, spent the afternoon geocaching and dropped the car at the Senai airport just before 7pm. Then we flew to KL, changed planes and the south to Perth. We arrived at the mother in-law's in time for breakfast. Then off to my son's workshop to pick up my new quad that failed to arrive. I bought it from The Honda Shop on the condition it was delivered to Malaga, it wasn't. That meant a drive to Midland, not a long was off route but I was pissed off by then. After loading up the Honda we headed north. It's an 8 hr drive but I try to get a snooze in halfway. We arrived home at 7:30pm tired but not ready to sleep.

Yesterday should have been a relaxing lounge in front of the telly but no, Mrs M had to have those unreliable but predictable Eagles playing. Who can relax when they are doing what they don't do best :|

Anyway I got out early this morning before too much heat and too many flies to take the new TRX250 Honda for a spin. Anywhere you go around here is driving over good gold ground so I had to pack the GPX4500 too ;)

1568428441_0.3g.jpg

You might say "That's not much" but I'm happy, I got gold and I was home by 9:30 for a cuppa :)

An old mate who had moved to W.A. for work about 15 years ago and who Ive only seen twice since turned up in Cairns recently. Hed had a bit of a rough trot lately so I thought some Palmer River therapy was needed so I packed what we needed and away we went. We arrived at about 3pm and I said lets hit the detectors for a couple of hours then set up camp. He hadnt used a detector before so I gave him the Gold Kruzer and gave him a crash course it how it worked. I put him in a spot that I was confident had some nuggets still left to be found. I used the 4500 and was impressed with how close we could work together. I was able to listen to his machine and mine and give him some pointers on the target noises he was picking up. I found a 1.95 gram piece within 15 minutes then another smaller piece. I then pinged a target that I was pretty confident was gold so I called him to run the Kruzer over it to give him an idea of the signal sound he needed to look for. He picked the target up so I said dig it up and see what it was. It turned out to be about .4 grams which he was rapt with. We continued to detect the area and he found another piece not far from that one so I moved off to see if I could get another bit. I ended up finding a longish rough piece to end the day on. We pulled stumps to have tea ready for the next morning both very happy with how our days went. The next morning I gave him the 4500 to see how he went with that. I was his digger for that session and we ended up with another 3 pieces. He decided to try his luck with the Kruzer on another spot that I pointed out and within 20 minutes he had found two pieces that he had scoped out without my help. He was hooked by this point. We moved to a different spot where he scored a couple more bits solo again. I was confident he was right by then and I was able to stop trying to listen to both machines and concentrate on my machine. I found a really small piece then we decided to call it quits. On the way home I saw a small pile of wash that decided to have a swing over and was highly rewarded with my first specimen which was the icing on the cake. On a sour note when we arrived back to camp we stumbled onto three scumbags who were in the process of stealing my chainsaw from our camp. I was not a happy chappie but I tried to remain calm. I know one of the people involved and we will meet again. Enough said on that. Except there are some absolute pixies of sh@t breathing the fresh air in this world. My mate counselled me for the next two hours on anger management. I even sang I feel pretty, oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gay!! :lol: :lol: and a bit of goose fraabaar. :D.......moving on. In spite of that my mate is now totally bitten by the gold bug and we both had a fantastic couple of nights in the bush.
1568444904_b2250b4b-cff2-4574-be39-5ed5bfdd2c31.jpg
1568444936_966ed34c-5007-4eb4-a040-ca6c75759683.jpg
1568444955_cdac0fdd-025f-4d1b-80d8-e248422adba4.jpg
1568444976_27d78fe5-7317-4c6e-af68-5791d827172a.jpg

SGtest on the specimen is 3.5 grams of gold. I didnt get a photo of my mates gold but when I do Ill add it in. Cheers

Very nice result kemjak57 but tell me, how do you get to prospect in a reserve where detectors are not allowed?

Latest posts