⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up in the GT this weekend with jwal who did ok on Saturday to get on the books with his SDC. Well done mate (just lower and slower - although finding the atomic sized fly poof).
The Sunday morning was spent in the burns of Amherst with Dig'n-it (after a few beers in Maryborough the night before). Nothing found by both (many cars out that way with detectors humming loudly throughout the bush), but was dirty and smelly conditions - no birds/wildlife- not even many insects except those surviving by coming out finally from deep hives after the burns - was very glad to get outa there. It may open gold areas to prospectors, but I'm not that keen straight after burns as that bush is "bad".
Then (with Dig'n-it leading) went to a new area way SSW of Talbot (as agreed on maps at lunch). That afternoon Dig'n-it absolutely nailed me with 4 finds at around .45g total, to my one at 0.34g. He even pulled some fly poof to challenge you SDC blokes. ! (I had changed coils and accidentally knocked a front cap switch to "Cancel mode" using a mono coil - so it was totally deaf for around 0.45 hrs), but that's just my bad. I did it again today but quickly noticed (the green scoop in my RH pocket sometimes hits my 4500 endcap). No excuses, but I'm up for a rematch anytime mate.
Pulled 2 more today at 3.2g day total, but hate spider's holes, because I think we lost another great detect to one today. Great signal down to around 9" in tough ground (used crow-bar) then it totally/instantly disappeared. Was screaming at 9" - then gone. Looked around for 2m in every direction in case it chipped out, but nothing. Daughter then noted a 1"hole in corner of dig going down. We dug a little further but still nothing. I've done that before with Mardymoose (as proof) and found lost gold, but this one's going to be bloody deep. Not sure we're up to it - could have been a bullet but likely not at that deep. Bloody spiders should dig shallow holes!

1461578697_image.jpg
Hi all.
Spent Sat and Sun around Talbot. Nothing on Saturday but 4 little bits on Sunday. It was great to catchup with Scrounger on Saturday avo, and then met BigWave Saturday night for a pub meal. Over dinner we planned our trip for Sunday. Met at the Dunolly Bakery Sunday morning but on hearing about the recent burns at Amherst we changed plans and gave that a try as BW described. I too not overly thrilled with detecting after a burn. One of the things that attracts me to detecting is the fresh country air. Sucking in charcoal detracts for me.
For the newbies I thought I'd show a photo of all the targets dug and pocketed to put things in to perspective and to show the hard yards you have to go through. 72 targets and only 4 gold.
That's the way it goes.
Well done BigWave, Scrounger, Walshie and SteelPat. Puts my finds to shame. Cheers Dignit.
P.S check out the lead in the shape of Australia. Would have loved that to have been gold.
1461578420_image.jpeg

1461578420_image.jpg

1461578421_image.jpeg

Then I hear that Scrounger has gone out for half a day or so and pulled another 10 or so. Bloody hell! Then Walshie comes back from a short bike ride with a fistful, and SteelPat empties his pockets. Slow down blokes - wait for me!

Awesome finds fellas. That's a lot of junk dign-it.
I know I shouldn't, but I normally walk away if there's heaps of junk and I'm not positive there's gold there. Was lucky enough to dig more gold than trash this time round. Very odd given the location.
Hopefully the weather man has it wrong for next weekend and we can do it all again. Keen to grid this new area and hammer the shite out of it.

Walshie. I found all this in new areas to me so still achieving experience of the spots. In a way I think of finding junk as a positive sign that others haven't flogged the area and if gold is about I have a chance to find it. I don't persist too long if I don't find some gold. However, I am the forever optimist which I guess is an essential attribute for any detectorist. Cheers Diginit ;) :)

Was around the Amherst burns on Saturday way too busy for me so went elsewhere. Never seen so many detectors in one place before, crazy

I managed to get out and wander aimlessly through the bush over the long weekend. While I was out ripping handfuls of hair from my head over ground noise, I got what seemed like it might be a legit rigey didge signal. 1 deep hole later I had retrieved an old timers bolt encrusted in clay and rust and rock.
1461595875_20160423_123512-240x427.jpg
Got out again this morning before heading home and with a borrowed sdc I pinged a lil bit.......and there was much rejoicing. Yaaaaaaaay! Interesting to compare the signal of the sdc on this target to the lack there of from the 5k and 14 elite. Played with settings a little with not much success. But I think I might have an answer to that but that will have to wait till next time.
1461596280_20160425_231631-320x180.jpg
1461596375_20160425_231613-320x180.jpg

Couldn't agree more dign-it. I like getting a little bit of trash in promising ground for that exact reason. Gives me hope it hasn't been hammered senseless. Good finds mate, I consider getting any gold achieving, its hard to find the bloody stuff.
Onya chewy, the 14" should see a .10 however it wouldn't see it at the same depth as an SDC or an 8" coil on the 5.

Way to go Chew. Maybe it's time to discuss a new purchase (sdc :lol: :lol: :lol: ) with Mrs Chewy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

1461629140_img_4493.jpg

I went out saturday and met up with Dignit around lunchtime, it was a bloody tough day and we both struggled, i got a few pieces in this pic. I went back out on Sunday morning till lunchtime and checked out some new areas and did alright and made up for Saturdays poor results.
Nice to catch up again Andy, maybe next time i can put you over more gold mate.

BigWave said:
Wow Scrounger. All that from new areas. You really do know your ground!
No mate, no great knowledge, i was struggling on old ground i knew with dignit on Saturday, only got about 6 of the bits or so. More blind luck mate on sunday, just working old diggings that look good that i hadn't hit before.

I need to expand my horizons i reckon and find two or three 'new to me' big areas to start exploring. I'm tending to rework my old areas and the return is dwindling with each visit with the sdc :)

Finally christened my gpx4500 and ngget finder 14 x9 evo.
After driving in long grass (head high) in the dark, just following wheel marks, getting lost twice, waking up to a king brown, 4 bullet shells and 1 tiny piece of iron, pinged this on the way out, less than 1 km from the highway, also got 2 more signals, but couldnt find them after I dug them, must have been reel small, will go back, after the grass has been burnt.....
1461646487_20130808_0224221.jpg

Well done Davent, how about posting up a pic of the terrain you're detecting in for us southerners to have a look at?

Will take a camera next time, im superstitious, camera = no fish when fishing, and ive been applying that with gold. Its actually beautiful from the high ground, but low ground, is nearly zero visability atm, due to the spear grass, nearly dry enough to burn.....

Ok, this is similar country 45km north of "hell" this is actually much easier country atm, untill the burn off starts.
1461648031_20130609_0431381.jpg
1461648062_20130609_0509201.jpg
1461648090_20130609_0431541.jpg
1461648117_20130609_0431151.jpg
1461648151_20130609_0432071.jpg

where I pinged the little one today, there was no sign of anyone ever digging the area, which is why I was surprised it wasnt another bullet, lol!

Latest posts