⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theduke said:
Hi everyone

Can someone help me out with the name of the flakey addition in the middle of this smoky quartz cluster?

Knowing roughly where it's from helps heaps in these matters, but without that knowledge it could be a few things. The fact that it's a smaller volume than the socket it's in probably means that it's an alteration, weathering or replacement of an earlier mineral. Could be clay after feldspar or calcite? Or it might be an aggregate of muscovite mica if it's crystalline, hard to tell from the photograph. Another option is that it's a clast of wall rock incorporated into the vein that's been altered to clays and weathered out a bit. Lots of options.

Guessologist said:
Theduke said:
Hi everyone

Can someone help me out with the name of the flakey addition in the middle of this smoky quartz cluster?

Knowing roughly where it's from helps heaps in these matters, but without that knowledge it could be a few things. The fact that it's a smaller volume than the socket it's in probably means that it's an alteration, weathering or replacement of an earlier mineral. Could be clay after feldspar or calcite? Or it might be an aggregate of muscovite mica if it's crystalline, hard to tell from the photograph. Another option is that it's a clast of wall rock incorporated into the vein that's been altered to clays and weathered out a bit. Lots of options.

Thanks its from the Northern Territory part of a pocket I found theres about 10 of these throughout the pocket. Once I get a chance to clean them up Ill put another couple of photos. Heres the bigger side of it the biggest ones in this one are about 30mm across the base

1535756671_cfdf53fa-a9fd-41c8-9816-8892b037f910.jpg

Sorry, I've no idea what the unusual mineral growth in the cluster is but I like your crystals :Y:

Lefty said:
Are those smokies or deep coloured amethyst?

Theres some amethyst on the backside in the seam but the pocket is all smoky for what I can see now although might change once all the silt is gone

Gilly47 said:
Is that site anywhere near Adelaide River at all

ray

Nah its about 600km from there although I saw a area around Robin falls that looked like it would hold some nice pockets

Nice find Pat :Y:

I haven't made any really nice finds for a while, not since Gemhunter and I hit that big pocket of amethyst crystals :/

My luck must be due to change soon :)

Guessologist said:
Theduke said:
Hi everyone

I agree with these comments (e.g. could be clay-coated muscovite, but there are many options), Location would help

Just saw the later photos - beautiful! Northern Territory is a territory not a location, but I can understand your reticence in giving the locality (seen a bit out of Helen Springs and Wave Hill).

Latest posts