⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1539337552_screenshot_20181012-204512_gallery.jpg

Going through some of my older rocks that i had forgotten about. A piece of zaratite (i think :| )from the lord brassey mine in tasmania

goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...337552_screenshot_20181012-204512_gallery.jpg
Going through some of my older rocks that i had forgotten about. A piece of zaratite (i think :| )from the lord brassey mine in tasmania
The green stuff I assume?

Yes Goldierocks. I guess i should of been a bit more specific lol :p the green crystallized mineral on the rock. Probably one of my favorites. Must have nickel in it as well cause its magnetic. Bit sad that people left there beer cans and rubbish there last time i went to brassey mine. Such a remote beautiful place

Firepanther said:
goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...337552_screenshot_20181012-204512_gallery.jpg

Yes Goldierocks. I guess i should of been a bit more specific lol :p the green crystallized mineral on the rock. Probably one of my favorites. Must have nickel in it as well cause its magnetic. Bit sad that people left there beer cans and rubbish there last time i went to brassey mine. Such a remote beautiful place
First time I have seen zaratite. Not sure why you think the presence of nickel would make it magnetic (more likely magnetite in the sample). It is iron, not nickel, that causes the magnetism (I think the confusion is that a number of iron minerals (and also iron-rich nickel ores such as those that contain the magnetic iron sulphide, pyrrhotite) also have nickel in them.

Do a search on Series on identifying minerals - part 6 MAGNETISM under my monicker if you want more details.

Another thing - secondary minerals (as zaratite is) are never magnetic. So although limonite is an iron hydroxide, it is non-magnetic, nor is hematite, but the magnetite and maghemite from which they form are.

I think I have been to the Lord Brassey years ago, but I cannot remember for the moment exactly where it is (presumably the Zeehan district?).

goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:
goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:

First time I have seen zaratite. Not sure why you think the presence of nickel would make it magnetic (more likely magnetite in the sample). It is iron, not nickel, that causes the magnetism (I think the confusion is that a number of iron minerals (and also iron-rich nickel ores such as those that contain the magnetic iron sulphide, pyrrhotite) also have nickel in them.

Do a search on Series on identifying minerals - part 6 MAGNETISM under my monicker if you want more details.

Another thing - secondary minerals (as zaratite is) are never magnetic. So although limonite is an iron hydroxide, it is non-magnetic, nor is hematite, but the magnetite and maghemite from which they form are.

I think I have been to the Lord Brassey years ago, but I cannot remember for the moment exactly where it is (presumably the Zeehan district?).

Between waratah and savage river mine. It was a nickel mine back in the day.
I knew the zaratite was not magnetic but i have another sample with what i thought was nickel veins running through rock and it was magnetic. I'll look up your magnetic advice page and have a read. As always I'm no expert in any matters resulting rocks but i will take any advice with open hands. The picture don't do the zaratite any justice. It looks beautiful.

Awesome articles on identifying minerals. Might have to read them a few times to let it sink in. I see what your saying about iron now.

Firepanther said:
goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:
goldierocks said:
Firepanther said:

I knew the zaratite was not magnetic but i have another sample with what i thought was nickel veins running through rock and it was magnetic. I'll look up your magnetic advice page and have a read. As always I'm no expert in any matters resulting rocks but i will take any advice with open hands. The picture don't do the zaratite any justice. It looks beautiful.
Probably magnetite or pyrrhotite

Remember now I think - all that green serpentinite on the road just east of Savage River. Heazlewoodite, Osmiridium. Was there 3 years ago.

Oops, the biggest bit is about the size of a 5c piece but both of the bigger bits are quite thin so will be struggling to get a good cut stone out of them. Still had a great time in the bush and will be back to look for the big one!

Dave79 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12713/1539584502_rps20181015_170730.jpg
Managed to get a couple of bits of topaz from the Weld river area this weekend. If anyone wants to know where to find tiny gems I can help you out!
Wow nice one dave. I'm heading down this weekend. I had great success last month in other creeks and rivers down there. Going to be looking at new areas but most likely stop at weld river for the night. Have you tried other areas around there?

goldierocks said:

Remember now I think - all that green serpentinite on the road just east of Savage River. Heazlewoodite, Osmiridium. Was there 3 years ago.

Its a rough track in. Creek crossing then narrow track up to area. Beautiful scenery and some nice rocks.

Yeah, all of the tiny bits come from the lower frome river, I'll be giving that a miss from now on. The cascade river has some decent bits of topaz but lots of them seem to be bombs.Was surprised to get a few bits in the ringarooma as far down as pioneer but there's a lot of dirt in between the gems down there.

Yeah the frome bridge is great starting point for beginners then once you have a good grip on what ya doing i would suggest looking elsewhere.

Yep, been picked over pretty well round there but easy to get to for the wife. Haven't tried much around branxholm but seems like the further you hike the better it gets.

I hiked for 30min to get to a creek. Paid off. Found lots of sapphires topaz zircon and spinel. I found a 1.5ct purple sapphire which is now in my ladys collection. The spinel i got where a lot larger than normal some over 10ct and lots over 4ct. Found a 31ct topaz plus some green and blue ones. Less saphires than weld but everything was better quality

Nice finds there Dave! :Y:

Makes me itch to get back out there again, only thing is the temps are starting to rise now in qld

Latest posts