⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished this zircon with a slight pinky tinge off last night, :D
1534804439_60402c98-f55f-49a2-a25d-aefac992535a.jpg

1534804463_b266902b-2010-4d41-bae7-6185124a023c.jpg

Very nice job there Wally, beautiful stone :Y:

The more of those zircons you post, the more I am itching to have a go at this big mauve one I have. I've been putting off close examination of it in case of dissapointment (the other couple I have turned out to flawed to bother cutting) but it's just about time to bite the bullet with it.

Thanks Guys, you comments mean a lot to me.

Lefty - go on....pop one on the dop. :lol: they are an interesting stone to cut, prone to a bit of chipping and you need to watch out for the one very soft facet that usually follows a very hard facet. Interestingly, I had to put a lower wattage globe into my lamp for polishing this one as the shine back was too brilliant.......had a few pre-dop removal happy moments du to this as well. :party: despite the richness of colour in the rough, the stone only has a hint of pink in cut form and generally presents as crystal clear due to the intensity of the reflected light.

Dam It - Unfortunately, i am going to have to accept your question as a big complement at this point in time. I will venture into making some of my treasures available at some stage in the future; so if you can patiently standby as an observer of my learning curve, you and my PA family will be the first to know when I get to that point.

Wally69 said:

Lefty - go on....pop one on the dop. :lol: they are an interesting stone to cut, prone to a bit of chipping and you need to watch out for the one very soft facet that usually follows a very hard facet. Interestingly, I had to put a lower wattage globe into my lamp for polishing this one as the shine back was too brilliant.......had a few pre-dop removal happy moments du to this as well. :party: despite the richness of colour in the rough, the stone only has a hint of pink in cut form and generally presents as crystal clear due to the intensity of the reflected light.

Dam It - Unfortunately, i am going to have to accept your question as a big complement at this point in time. I will venture into making some of my treasures available at some stage in the future; so if you can patiently standby as an observer of my learning curve, you and my PA family will be the first to know when I get to that point.

I've done plenty of Anakie gemfields zircons but they tend to come a lot smaller than the Hartz range ones. And are usually some shade of orange or red. The thing about the CQ gemfields zircons is that they tend to often be quite clean, most of the Hartz range stones I have seen had fractures and you needed the bigger size to be able to get a dececent stone. But I love the range of colours among the Hartz range stones - just need a decently clean one.

Lefty said:
Wally69 said:

I've done plenty of Anakie gemfields zircons but they tend to come a lot smaller than the Hartz range ones. And are usually some shade of orange or red. The thing about the CQ gemfields zircons is that they tend to often be quite clean, most of the Hartz range stones I have seen had fractures and you needed the bigger size to be able to get a dececent stone. But I love the range of colours among the Hartz range stones - just need a decently clean one.

Well, that just wont do at all :rainbow: PM me your postal address :rainbow:

I spent 1 day at Hartz range years ago butit wasn't a fossicking trip, we were just passing through. Got lost somehow looking for Mud Tank and never found the zircon deposit. But I did find some colourless material in a gully that no gemmologist has been able to positively identify to this day.

Dihusky said:
Impressive finish Wally, that really dances beautifully, recon it'd blind the lens if you video'd it on a turntable 8) 8)

It does actually, I took a video of it spinning on the lap screw, it goes too fast so I did it in slow motion and it flash dances under LEDs

Got excited by the result, and after seeing ChrisMs gold nugget video on one, i put down a massive $3.15 to get a rotating display turntable on a slow boat from China. Hope it turns up next week. Working out how to post a video to share will be my next challenge.

Latest posts