⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting any decent size sapphires Heatho ? . I have found about 100 at sapphire bend, but all very small , good quality, but too small to do anything with. I did hear about 2 years ago, some guy found about 2 kilos of sapphires in 1 spot :eek:

Holy crap 2kg, that's a lot of Sapphires. Our biggest was probably about 6mmx3mmx3mm, small but great looking. I reckon there must be some better spots there, we're going to try some lower points next time that I selected from google earth. The lack of Spinel amazes me too. We got 17 blue stones from say 0.1 of a cubic metre of wash in the fossicking area.

!00 stones is pretty good going even if small. I reckon a few beauties must come along every now and then, getting enough to keep me interested though.

Our biggest from GG is about 2ct, much bigger than the rest but is a blue bomb. Will probably go to GG next time and then back to Oberon to compare.

Have you tried GG yet?

Not much yet. But the biggens will start coming soon hopefully :)
1379058672_image.jpg

Greg

Heatho said:
Holy crap 2kg, that's a lot of Sapphires. Our biggest was probably about 6mmx3mmx3mm, small but great looking. I reckon there must be some better spots there, we're going to try some lower points next time that I selected from google earth. The lack of Spinel amazes me too. We got 17 blue stones from say 0.1 of a cubic metre of wash in the fossicking area.

!00 stones is pretty good going even if small. I reckon a few beauties must come along every now and then, getting enough to keep me interested though.

Our biggest from GG is about 2ct, much bigger than the rest but is a blue bomb. Will probably go to GG next time and then back to Oberon to compare.

Have you tried GG yet?

Hi Heatho , no not yet , but hanging to get there, but I cant drive past Tuena ?, so will have to go the other way. We also found 2 x 2.5 ct bombs at Obi , but 1 of them is partially translucent . As far as GG goes ,I am also sort of waiting for Wal to get back, as we have planned a day to pick the 2nd WB up & do some highbanking at GG.
Have some better shots with new phone soon , Cheers Paul

Here are some new shots Heatho , much better

These are the 2 2.5 ct stones , you can see one is not too bad , may cut OK
1379063550_dsc_0003.jpg

These are the bigger lot , probably could cut most of these.
1379064705_dsc_0011.jpg

1379064744_dsc_0012.jpg

These are the very small lot , some lovely colours though
1379064814_dsc_0014.jpg

1379064890_dsc_0015.jpg

Need some bigger ones from GG

Have you ever been to twin creeks ?

Cheers Paul

That big one looks nice to my untrained eye. They all look nice, great colours. Your new phone takes great pics.

These are all our stones from 2 trips to GG and 1 to Oberon. Not many yet but these first trips have been a good intro to gem hunting and the techniques used. I'm keen to get back to GG for another go, both spots are great though. A few bombs here but most allow at least some light through.

I'm going to have to spend a weekend down there, maybe GG on the Saturday and Tuena on the Sunday.

Twin Creeks? No not yet but have been wondering about it. Have you tried there?

1379108368_20130914_072141.jpg

Went there when I was still learning . There is a big hole under & around a tree , that everyone was getting dirt from , but about 6 foot down , I uncovered a steel COKE CAN !!!! & haven't been back sinse, but should check out the other holes

Hmmm a can at 6ft is not good, heh. I'm losing interest in that spot already. :) I'm thinking of driving around to a few of the state forests just to do some test panning and then go back after finding some spots that show promise.

Every pan I did at Black Springs showed tiny Sapphires, Zircons and Garnets, only about 1/2 - 1mm. Same with GG but usually a few specks of Gold too.

The Supersluice pan catches small Sapphires very nicely, great tool just for sampling numerous places over a day or 2.

If we find a better spot out there I'll let you know for sure.

Had plans going to Tuena, the day got away on me doing the lawns and before I knew it was 1:30 already. Did manage to get away to GG for couple of hours and found a nice patch.

j466.jpg

Sure Col I'm yet to fire up my HB - , met a king brown yestarday first one this season and i though i had peed my pants or have I?

Very nice Joe, it's nice to be rewarded after a hard slog with the lawn mower. :D

Dozer said:
Very nice Joe, it's nice to be rewarded after a hard slog with the lawn mower. :D

Misses knows Ive been on the mower all day Dozer lets keep it a secret. :)

joe said:
Sure Col I'm yet to fire up my HB - , met a king brown yestarday first one this season and i though i had peed my pants or have I?

Time to start wearing gaiters ;) saw a few frisky Red Bellies last year no Browns though

True Col, I had gumboots but it made no difference thick as my arm and could be up to 2 m long. Frozen there I was looking at it and wise versa. :eek:

Wow :eek: :eek: Joe,

That's looks really amazing :D

You gotta to show me sometimes on how to find them Gems Mate.

Cheers,
B :)

Latest posts