⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1583141748_rps20200302_203405.jpg

Ok, I'll admit it, I used a detector to find the bigger one but it's little friend came from a bucket of dirt from the same little washout below a reef mine.

Dave79 said:
I'd be happy with the decimal point moved two places to the left! Must have been some nice looking pans come up over the weekend.

Move the decimal two places to the left and you still have more than all of my outings combined. :D

jethro said:
Geez Jamie thats some nice gold and it must be a good spot too. :goldpan: :Y: Dont work it out as you probably never find another spot like it. :(

that has crossed my mind Jethro - I told my daughters that it could be as good as it gets. The bedrock is very crumbly and keeps "stepping" down - but I need to remove a lot of overburden to get to it. Plus, what I think that what appeared to be a bedrock outcrop is actually a big floater - so if I can get that out of the road the rewards would be even better I reckon.

A quick recon trip today in planning for a day out with the Wife and kids on the weekend.

BqXCdqP.png

Two 'picker-lets' and three 'micro-fines' from one standard garden sized bucket.

Recon successful, I'd say.

(That's what I love about this hobby. I may not get much, but I always seem to come home with something. To me that's gold! Excuse the pun :playful: )

jamiealdridge said:
jethro said:
Geez Jamie thats some nice gold and it must be a good spot too. :goldpan: :Y: Dont work it out as you probably never find another spot like it. :(

that has crossed my mind Jethro - I told my daughters that it could be as good as it gets. The bedrock is very crumbly and keeps "stepping" down - but I need to remove a lot of overburden to get to it. Plus, what I think that what appeared to be a bedrock outcrop is actually a big floater - so if I can get that out of the road the rewards would be even better I reckon.
Yeah Jamie its always a bit of a disappointment when the run of good colour cuts out. It will happen eventually, So enjoy it while you can and take plenty of pics to show / impress the grandkids.
Overburden is pain. I once found an old alluvial bench deposit that the Chinamen had very kindly cleared the top 5 ft of barren overburden off and then left the block of about 5 cubic metres of wash untouched. I mined that out but most of the gold was in the bottom ft of wash so had to put a short drive in under the bank of about 9ft high. I got a lot less gold than you have for a lot of work. :pickshovel: Keep the pics coming a closeup of the wash layer would be interesting too and wouldnt give your spot away. :argh:

Got another few days in in NE Victoria.

Bunch of just poking around, having a few beers with a mate, a bit of fly fishing, and a bit of prospecting.

Spot the water race

1583285125_c7eca8e2-e4d5-4d2d-998e-d71c9194e243.jpg

Nice little creek

1583285125_aa3918e2-50ed-46b9-8639-1496a3908ec7.jpg

Test pan, nice little show so went on with it there

1583285447_4e245503-61c1-4c97-8802-aa1fb5295b4b.jpg

Pretty happy with this for a bit of panning in a spot that appears to be worked pretty hard from the evidence of other bank and riverside digging.
All very fine so slow careful panning was the go.

1583284878_079a66c9-801b-4c28-8297-e3b3ef681cce.jpg

Finally appear to be getting a bit of rain on the divide and west so maybe some of the creeks out there might have some water at last and I wont have to drive so far to get a fix :D :D :D

Regards Pogo

Pogo said:
Got another few days in in NE Victoria.

Bunch of just poking around, having a few beers with a mate, a bit of fly fishing, and a bit of prospecting.

Spot the water race

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5125_c7eca8e2-e4d5-4d2d-998e-d71c9194e243.jpg

Nice little creek

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5125_aa3918e2-50ed-46b9-8639-1496a3908ec7.jpg

Test pan, nice little show so went on with it there

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5447_4e245503-61c1-4c97-8802-aa1fb5295b4b.jpg

Pretty happy with this for a bit of panning in a spot that appears to be worked pretty hard from the evidence of other bank and riverside digging.
All very fine so slow careful panning was the go.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4878_079a66c9-801b-4c28-8297-e3b3ef681cce.jpg.

Finally appear to be getting a bit of rain on the divide and west so maybe some of the creeks out there might have some water at last and I wont have to drive so far to get a fix :D :D :D

Regards Pogo

Nice! How far NE of Vic? Id love to tag along and join in one day, if you are up for more stragglers.

I started fossicking roughly mid March last year. So I figured I'd do a weigh in and see what I got and will start a new vial empty via to celebrate the anniversary.

Kp4sFZ0.png

~0.09 grams, which might sound like a 'bad day' for veterans here, let alone a years worth. :lol:

But given I had no idea whatsoever this time last year (having advanced to a fraction more than no idea :p) and not really that many outings (all isolated to Bega Valley area), I'm pretty happy overall.

Picked up the art of panning pretty quickly, which is great. I can easily pan out tiny miniscule specs that are really not worth chasing.

Thanks to everyone has helped and encouraged along the way with my questions (mainly to do with rules & regulations, which seem to confuse the best of us at times). Your help and encouragement certainly doesn't go unappreciated. :cool:

I look forward to hitting at 0.2 gram total this year - LOL!

Would love to meet up with you guys in the fields some time. :D

Updated my avatar too, to show off my massive haul! :lol:

I only use plastic containers , the best one for me , is the old black plastic film one . If you drop a glass one on the rocks , good bye gold ! Any club in the Bega Valley area ?

Mike678 said:
I only use plastic containers , the best one for me , is the old black plastic film one . If you drop a glass one on the rocks , good bye gold ! Any club in the Bega Valley area ?

Can't imagine anyone would use glass containers in this hobby. Plastic all the way.

I'm not aware of any clubs in the Bega Valley, seems like a secret society. Extremely rare for anyone to offer a meet up around here. I keep asking, but it's like pulling teeth.

Even asking advice on this forum is akin to getting your molars extracted through your nose cavity without any anesthetic.

Jazz said:
Mike678 said:

Can't imagine anyone would use glass containers in this hobby. Plastic all the way.

I'm not aware of any clubs in the Bega Valley, seems like a secret society. Extremely rare for anyone to offer a meet up around here. I keep asking, but it's like pulling teeth.

Even asking advice on this forum is akin to getting your molars extracted through your nose cavity without any anesthetic.
Plastic in the feild for sure , gold at home cause it looks better.

Once you realise how rare a good spot is and how much research and favours it takes to get one , your opinion will change , and multiply that by 1000 after you share a great spot and then return 2 months later to find it scratched clean and rubbish and bogan handy work strewn every where :awful:

Bega valley would have very few public access spots and private access isnt the sort of thing to share about , imo.

aussiefarmer said:
Jazz said:
Mike678 said:

Once you realise how rare a good spot is and how much research and favours it takes to get one , your opinion will change , and multiply that by 1000 after you share a great spot and then return 2 months later to find it scratched clean and rubbish and bogan handy work strewn every where :awful:

Bega valley would have very few public access spots and private access isnt the sort of thing to share about , imo.

For sure, I understand that. Sorry about the frustration, it gets the better of us all at times.

I never ask people to give up spots though. All of the research I have done (for possible locations) is all of my own. In the past I have even mentioned specific potential places that I have reasearched myself, but never get any advice back. Probably explains why the places suddenly look like a bomb has hit it the next day - LOL :lol:

Jazz said:
aussiefarmer said:
Jazz said:
Mike678 said:

For sure, I understand that. Sorry about the frustration, it gets the better of us all at times.

I never ask people to give up spots though. All of the research I have done (for possible locations) is all of my own. In the past I have even mentioned specific potential places that I have reasearched myself, but never get any advice back. Probably explains why the places suddenly look like a bomb has hit it the next day - LOL :lol:

Naming Gold bearing Locations on Gold forums is like telling toilet paper hoarders which supermarket just got a delivery of Toilet paper. 8.( :eek:

It's not a good idea to show any area that produces gold. Especially when you hit a good spot.
It will be destroyed within a few weeks by greedy one's who have no respect.

They are very hard to come by especially in the Bega Valley and any negative out comes puts a
bad name to those who do the right thing.

I haunt Nerrigundah but owing to what has happened I have not been near the place out of respect
to the people who live there.

I am going to have to go and have a look around shortly and talk to a few locals.
See if there is any thing I can do to help.

Nerrigundah is certainly on my shortlist too. Not before I invest in a dozen cameras though, given the reputation of the locals.

Latest posts