Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tone got higher as i started the dig process. I have a few more vids but have to work out how to do editing and my PC is about 3 years old now struggles with basic editing tasks. I tested the coil with a .3 test nugget and I was surprised that it gave a crisp signal at about 3 inches. I am looking fwd to modding it with the 3 way conductivity switch.

mbasko said:
Hi Jim - hopefully that specci has got something hidden inside it for you. Got one like that earlier this year in Victoria & when cracked open had a nice little show of gold hidden inside.

Thats good going with the GP3500 - were they .03-04 or 0.3-0.4? If they were .03 & .04 that is great detecting (still great at 0.3-0.4)!

Hi all,

Mbasko, the pieces the missus got were .3 and .4 beautiful little bits of NT gold :) still good going! The specie is still sitting waiting to be cracked open

Jim & Kerrie

There are some good smartphone apps for video editing.
I use iMovie, very quick and easy to use.

Thanks for the upload, hope you can get some more up soon.
Kinda left us in limbo with your dig, bit like a reality TV show,
"Tune in next week when Homebrewer digs his hole and discovers Gold" :D

Cheers

GD

Iv looked at the SL same same' that's great if one can acquire the loom and such to upgrade the SPP' unfortunately it still will void the warranty' and may make it difficult to sell if one wishes later on.

The only internal pot on the SPP or the SL is the internal pot to set the Ground Balance (GB) control so all detectors GB at the same setting on the operator adjustable control. There is no internal pot for the delay. The pot for that isn't added. On the SL, that pot is sampled by the microprocessor to determine the delay.

Reg

There are several pots inside the surface mount PRO or the TDI and none of them adjust the delay. Please don't try to adjust any of the internal pots on the TDI or the Pro. Most are very critical adjustments. Some set the 0V out of the associated opamp and if out of adjustment, can cause serious grief. These particular settings are adjusted for less than 1 mv out with no signal in.

The initial 200 TDI's made were through the hole pcb's and were basically like the GS 5 which used 4538's to set the timing. These units had an internal pot to set the minimum delay.

If someone screwed with the internal pots, I would simply remove those that set the 0V. They are not needed, but there are several pots that still would be left, so without knowing what pots could be removed I strongly recommend none of the pots be tampered with.

Reg

Hi Reg welcome to the forum.

Your ecperience with the TDI and sharing here it here is awesome.

I have read a number of your posts on a different forum and
Your experirnce comes out in spade.

Jim. said:
I'm just wondering how the new SDC2300 handles basalt?

Jim & Kerrie

Bit of an update Jim:
I didn't sell the GPX but did end up getting a reasonably priced used SDC, not to use in basalt areas as such, but for other purposes. I did however take it out today to get a good few hours detecting in with it. I wasn't really expecting too much gold wise from this spot but it is a good little testing field as it goes from quite mild yellow clay, shale & a bit of scattered ironstone to orange/red clays, shale & heavy ironstone/red quartz then down closer to the creek to the more milder yellowish clay, ironstone, quartz & lots of volcanic rock I.e. basalt. There is also a nearby powerline just as a further test on EMI.
The SDC2300 passed on all fronts but does still signal on some basalt from bantam chook egg size to fist or bigger sized bits. While there is literally thousands if not millions of these rocks about the area I think I got about 8 that signalled on the SDC. Obviously these pieces would be of a higher iron content than the norm as they were all picked up in amongst other various sized bits of the basalt that didn't register. I've experienced similar with a SD2200D in the same ground although felt it was probably more prone to have a broader type signal on more pieces while the SDC signalled on fewer pieces but gave a harder to distinguish signal - faint on smaller bits & sharper on the bigger bits. The GMT I used in the area also signalled more frequently but also gave a more distinguishable tone on them. Haven't bothered trying the GPX there due to the powerlines but having used it in another basalt area I already know it will signal on a few odd bits here & there too - like the others. So thats 4 x detectors I've tried on this stuff with none being a stand out on it but the SDC2300 appears to signal on fewer pieces albeit without any really good, distinguishable tone on them.
I did also, after getting one piece of the signalling basalt, ping a sub gram bit of gold at about 3" deep right next to the basalt. After getting the gold out I got another piece of the basalt about 6" away so it would appear to me that the SDC2300 doesn't loose sensitivity when ground balanced in this type of ground. I have never found gold with the other machines in the basalt littered ground but have got some in the higher up mild, yellow clay area.
In short the basalt dilemma still hasn't been fully taken out of the equation with the SDC but for the amount on the ground here the positive signals are fairly minimal & I could still ping some gold which is always good. :D
Be interesting to hear how the SPP goes with a low conductivity switch added? I do have a feeling though that there will still be some of the high iron content bits that will trouble most machines. Reason being is although they signal they are still low conductivity targets in relation to their size. Thankfully they are big enough to easily identify & quickly kick out of the way.

Reg said:
The only internal pot on the SPP or the SL is the internal pot to set the Ground Balance (GB) control so all detectors GB at the same setting on the operator adjustable control. There is no internal pot for the delay. The pot for that isn't added. On the SL, that pot is sampled by the microprocessor to determine the delay.

Reg
Hi. Reg. You obviously know your stuff and it's great to have someone like you to enhance this already wonderful forum. I am wondering though why there is a female plug seemingly available to plug a pot into on the SPP board to control Delay?? Would that not be the plug used by the SL for the missing control pot??? It seems strange to me that there are two plug points on the SPP and two missing controls that the SL has. If I'm a bit dumb here or missing something let me know. Just call me Spock! You Know? The Logic thing :rolleyes: Are you saying that even if you were to plug a pot into that delay that it would do nothing, and if so, why is it there??

Hi Ronnie,

The connector is there for the delay pot but I never tried to attach a 10K pot to see if the delay would work if a pot was installed. So, I can't say for sure one way or the other. Personally, I doubt any change was made to the software though. So, someone might want to try to add the pot and see what happens.

Reg

Thanks Reg. I'm tempted. But I'd hate to fry my machine. Might just do the switch when it comes for the moment. And to KarlS...I ordered the switch and loom for the SL from Dean @ Goldsearch. Got to wait though, cause I just missed their order. I'm getting the waterproof rubber boot too. So it will be the exact setup as the SL.

OOPS!!!!! I made a mistake. The delay pot is supposed to be a 100K and not a 10K. Sorry about the error.

Reg

Took the SPP out for a swing today ,running a 11 inch commander coil found small pieces of wire 22 leads and other junk
The detector was quiet enough just a bit of ground noise but targets were loud and clear
1408672362_p1040342.jpg
1408672387_p1040346.jpg

I have only used the spp about 3 times I am liking it the more I use it so fare the ground balance has been no problem regards john

Latest posts