Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, thanks for posting them and I'll set up Park 2 as close as I can to the above, should be able to get in the ball park.
This will be perfect from when I'm working in Ballarat and Bendigo and haven't got my GPX with me, my 600 lives in my work van so this will be great.

My pleasure and hope this works for all as it did for me.
Prospector Pete - keen to know if you have any success with the 600, that would be a win.
Yes, software is updated - I think we have all wondered about the software update for the same reason.
Also I run with auto tracking on.

Bads Gold said:
Thanks all and here is the settings below that I made note of for myself:

Thanks Bads Gold ,
Will give your settings a run . So far I have only used Field 1 or 2 hoping for a coin in trashy areas .
Hoping I can report in with some results in the future .

Cheers and appreciate your tips
goldrat

Minelab Equinox 800 Best Gold Settings 6" coil.

Mode Gold 2
Volume 23
Tone Volume 25
Threshold Level (threshold volume) 14
Threshold Pitch 11
Target tone (default) 1
Target Tone Pitch N/A
Accept Reject (Reject Following due to hot rocks) -9 to -4 inclusive; 11 to 14 incl.
Tone Break N/A
Recovery speed 7 (5 to 7 good)
Iron Bias (FE) 0
Sensitivity 23
VIP - Coil motion (swing speed) should be low and slow. This is because with the "accept/reject" (discrimination) being set to remove hot rocks, the hot rocks can mask a good signal but a slow swing speed gives the detector time to sample and allows for a solid positive "zip zip" on a good target. Also, the recover speed set higher (preferably 7 but 5 worked well too) allows for the detector to respond quicker when good target is masked by a hot rock or iron. Also VIP - only dig targets that have a repeating signal consistently when the coil is swung both directions (back and forth) over the target. VIP - gold nuggets that are faint will often at first not even register a number on the screen but will always have a consistent repeat signal back and forth. Unless masked by a hot rock this will be a smooth signal albeit feint. Once the nugget starts to register it will most often register a "1" or "2" on the screen but can range from "0" to "6".

Just some comments about the above settings and why. Firstly I noticed that with the 6" coil you get hot rocks coming in at two different settings -9 to -6 (mostly sitting in -9/-8) but also at (12/13). No matter what I tried, you just cant get rid of the hot rocks without losing so much sensitivity that you wont pick up anything above a 0.5g.
So you really have to "notch" them out and you have to go one or two numbers either side to smooth things out. When detecting you will hear this "masking" effect on the hot rocks and might worry that you wont hear a good signal, but if you go low and slow with the recovery speed 5 or above (I prefer 7) the good signals are unmistakable. Note that the detector starts to respond similar to the SDC/GPX in terms of slight changes to the threshold that are repeatable in both directions being positive targets even if at first you are not getting numbers.
Note, adjust the sensitivity as required but I would try stay as high as possible and wouldn't go below 18-20.
Threshold Level was using the speaker so with headphones can be 11/12.

With the 600, I cannot comment but in Multi in Park 2 i would try replicate the above as much as possible and see how you go.

Anyway, try these settings and remember when you do that you still have to walk over gold.
Am keen to know if these help any of you - that would be great.

Picture of the small bits all together - smallest wouldn't even register unless I had another piece on the scale.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14399/1547294225_img_0536.jpg

Thank-you Bads Gold great settings :Y: I haven't been out with mine for a while but I also found that 12/13 were always hot rocks and lots of them lol. Will notch them out as well next time we go out. :pickshovel:

cheers

All good Rockdev, let us know if you have success.

Agree, in three completely different locations observed the same, -9/-8 and 12/13 hot rocks, but the above has worked well for me.

Cheers

Bads Gold said:
All good Rockdev, let us know if you have success.

Agree, in three completely different locations observed the same, -9/-8 and 12/13 hot rocks, but the above has worked well for me.

Cheers

Will do mate for sure thanks again :pickshovel:

Had a short run today with these settings no gold , but am positive if I go over any it will get it .I got 4 bird shot a slug gun pellet and a few shot gun pellets a piece of old foil came in at zero but a good signal had to check it out, once I get to know the detector and the weather cools down I will give it a good go :) :Y: regards john

Good to hear that you are out and about with the NOX. Im sure youll have a couple of golden pellets come your way shortly. Keep us posted John.

Cheers

Les :Y: :Y: :Y:

old hand said:
Had a short run today with these settings no gold , but am positive if I go over any it will get it .I got 4 bird shot a slug gun pellet and a few shot gun pellets a piece of old foil came in at zero but a good signal had to check it out, once I get to know the detector and the weather cools down I will give it a good go :) :Y: regards john

Thats really good to hear old hand - if you are getting the shotgun pellets then the gold will come too, pellets are always a good indicator for me that I am running the Nox positively.

I went out last Saturday and got another 9 little bits, 3 so small they wouldnt even register on my scales and two completely covered in ironstone.

I also had a go with the 11" coil on the weekend. No gold but a few bullets and bits of tinfoil and it worked really well settling the hot rock signals down though I had to reject up to 16. Increasing the recovery speed seems to be the trick to stop the masking from mineralized ground.

Hi all I'm new to this site and new to detecting my name is Michael and wondering if I can get some help setting up my detector for the parks, beaches , fields and goldfields ?
I was playing around with my Equinox 800 in my backyard and it was just going crazy and numbers going crazy lol help is what I need please

Welcome to PA, youll get loads of help no doubt shortly from other members with good know how.
Mind if I just call you hak ? :D

Sounds like EM interference for sure, there's a strip of my olds' front lawn I can't detect with the 600 because the ancient buried power cable gives off so much noise, makes it go crazy!

Distance is obviously the best fix, but of course eventually you are going to want to know what's in your backyard. Could try running the Noise Cancel function, may help a lot or not at all. Then I'd try switching it to a single frequency, one might not be affected as much as the rest. This worked the best for me, 5kHz was unusable, 15kHz was much improved but not perfect. If none of that worked, I'd drop the sensitivity to 15 or less as a last resort. Better to have the detector stable with less depth than not be able to get a reliable target at any depth!

Probably keep it in Park 1 in that situation too when just starting out, don't need the 'hotter' sensitivity of the #2 modes giving you iffy signals when you're trying to calm the thing down in the first place!

Well I had the day off work today and the minister of finance and war knew that I had my eye on the Equinox 800 (She calls it the man sooks) after returning the X Terra last week Today I got an approval text and shot over to the miners den Parramatta.. great day off! Great wife!

To make it even sweeter I got $20 off and a free minelab pinpointer!

Latest posts