You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

stevewilko
10 January 2019 12:42 pm

Hi All,

I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.

It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.

This is what we might regularly hear; -

"It has all been detected before"

"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -

"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"

With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.

I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.

The question in my mind is

Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?

What might you say?

Thank you, Steve Wilko

Thanking all contributors for their involvement and the quality of these posts. Prospecting with - GPX 4800 / 11" DD / 15 x 12 Mono / 15" DD / 18" NF Mono.

1 user likes this post: WatsonWatt

Trusted
10 January 2019 01:28 pm

Get yourself a panning kit and start panning for gold, at least you know there's more of the fine gold than a detectable gold nugget. goldpan

Poida
10 January 2019 01:56 pm

Always worth going over any gold bearing ground. Most of the easy gold has been taken but as the saying goes - “they never got it all”. Research, persistance and patience is the key!

Last edited by Poida (10 January 2019 01:57 pm)

3 users like this post: steelPHASE, Ship of fools, stevewilko

grubstake
10 January 2019 01:58 pm

stevewilko wrote:

Hi All,
I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.
It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.
This is what we might regularly hear; -
"It has all been detected before"
"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -
"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"
With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.
I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.
The question in my mind is
Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?
What might you say?
Thank you, Steve Wilko

From my experience, plenty of people were saying pretty much the same things 35+ years ago (1982), when my wife and I first went to the Golden Triangle to prospect! It surprised us how many detectorists we encountered then had never found anything either. yikes

My advice is have a go, Steve - and remember, it doesn't matter how many have gone before you, nobody has found the gold that you're going to find. thumbsup

Where it is, there it is.

6 users like this post: Flatlander, steelPHASE, ProspectorPete, Nothing Great, EVIE/BEE, stevewilko

Flatlander
10 January 2019 02:34 pm

Its not all gone i was there 2 weeks ago tarnagulla just got have right mine set, and research, research, research 1547091277_15470912438948796476986137613027.jpg

Last edited by Flatlander (10 January 2019 02:35 pm)

8 users like this post: grubstake, steelPHASE, RM Outback, ProspectorPete, Nothing Great, Chewy, stevewilko, Mirrors

diggit
10 January 2019 02:37 pm

Lots of gold out there and lots of prospectors that wont do the hard yards necessary, so.... gold-nugget pickshovel perfect smile

7 users like this post: grubstake, steelPHASE, ProspectorPete, Nothing Great, stevewilko, Ded Driver, EVIE/BEE

old hand
10 January 2019 02:48 pm

Just before Christmas there was a 12 1/2 oz nugget found just off some diggings with a 5000 regards john thumbsup

golden triangle

11 users like this post: grubstake, steelPHASE, Wishfull, Ship of fools, RM Outback, ProspectorPete, Nothing Great, Chewy, stevewilko, Skip, Mirrors

steelPHASE
10 January 2019 03:56 pm

Most of the 'easy' gold has gone. Prospectors who are thorough generally find gold in most areas.

That being said, there are plenty of stories of newbies finding big chunks in well known areas.

As time goes on erosion takes place. Even 5mm off the top can make a big difference.

Technology also improves. Better detectors and easier access to information like GeoVic etc.

I have been over plenty of ground that is supposedly thrashed and found gold. Its all about time on the ground and working smarter not necessarily harder.

Manufacturers of the sP01 Enhancer as well as other high quality prospecting accessories

7 users like this post: grubstake, Ship of fools, RM Outback, ProspectorPete, Nothing Great, Chewy, stevewilko

EVIE/BEE
10 January 2019 04:20 pm

Think about this.
If you gridded an area 1 kilometre by 1 kilometre and your chain lines were 1 metre apart you would have walked 1,000 kilometres.
There's more gold in the ground than ever came out..... but it never grows back.
Detecting is a lifestyle and a hobby not a profession.
Stick to your guns.. Have fun out there. neutral hmm tongue

Last edited by EVIE/BEE (10 January 2019 04:43 pm)

Still using my SD2000, love it. GP Extreme, GPX4000, GPX5000... If you're wondering I am male..EVIE is my wifes name (nice kid).

9 users like this post: Ship of fools, ProspectorPete, Ward69, Nothing Great, stevewilko, Ded Driver, ctxkid, dam it, Graybeard

tailormarc
10 January 2019 05:01 pm

Anyone that says go elsewhere usually knows there is stuff still there. If there was gold elsewhere they would say the triangle still holds gold to keep you out of the other areas. Where there was once gold there will be more to find. Gold still keeps turning up in areas flogged to death here in the WA goldfeilds

5 users like this post: EVIE/BEE, Ship of fools, ProspectorPete, grumpygold, stevewilko

EVIE/BEE
10 January 2019 05:30 pm

People are mostly helpful. Some are just greedy.

Last edited by EVIE/BEE (10 January 2019 05:39 pm)

Still using my SD2000, love it. GP Extreme, GPX4000, GPX5000... If you're wondering I am male..EVIE is my wifes name (nice kid).

2 users like this post: Nothing Great, savage bitter

EVIE/BEE
10 January 2019 05:35 pm

EVIE/BEE wrote:

Think about this.
If you gridded an area 1 kilometre by 1 kilometre and your chain lines were 1 metre apart you would have walked 1,000 kilometres.
There's more gold in the ground than ever came out..... but it never grows back.
Detecting is a lifestyle and a hobby not a profession.
Stick to your guns.. Have fun out there. neutral hmm tongue

My point here is, people will tell you it's all gone... then they will go in and pick up gold.
They never get it all.

2 users like this post: grumpygold, stevewilko

ProspectorPete
10 January 2019 07:02 pm

If you are very confident in your gear, settings, running a big coil and there in the right conditions then you have a big advantage over most others that have been before you.
I still believe there's plenty to be found in the "flogged out areas", you just need to detect with the right mindset and consistency and back yourself in to be better than anyone else that's swung there before.
The good thing about detecting deep with a big coil in flogged areas is if you start hitting deep trash, you know you're deeper than those before you thumbsup
Go for it gold-nugget

Minelab GPX-4500 / sP01 / Evo coils, Nox 600, Whites GMZ
PMAV and BUGU member

7 users like this post: RM Outback, Nothing Great, grubstake, hermann, Flatlander, stevewilko, AUaddict

Swinging & digging
10 January 2019 07:09 pm

If your into detecting with the idea of striking it rich, your going to be very disappointed.

I have been prospecting for years and the last two years have only found about 2 - 3 grams per year.
I have an SDC & GPZ, the gold is getting harder to find each year and there is no shortage of people
been going over and over the same ground for 40 years, detecting started in 1978 for gold in the GT.

Lower your expectations.

3 users like this post: grumpygold, stevewilko, EVIE/BEE

Nothing Great
10 January 2019 07:49 pm

Swinging & digging wrote:

If your into detecting with the idea of striking it rich, your going to be very disappointed.

I have been prospecting for years and the last two years have only found about 2 - 3 grams per year.
I have an SDC & GPZ, the gold is getting harder to find each year and there is no shortage of people
been going over and over the same ground for 40 years, detecting started in 1978 for gold in the GT.

Lower your expectations.

Have you tried turning the sdc and gpz ON mate???

Just kidding by the way tongue

2 users like this post: Muk, Bjay

Swinging & digging
10 January 2019 08:36 pm

I don,t get as much time as you to go prospecting, Nothing Great.
Live on the wrong side of town for easy access to GT, plus working full time in a demanding job.

My production is based on about 20 to 25 days detecting per year, 8 hours a day.

1 user likes this post: Bjay

Nothing Great
10 January 2019 08:48 pm

I was just kidding mate. No offence inteaded i swear.

2 users like this post: Jaros, RM Outback

Magilla
10 January 2019 09:21 pm

There are plenty of guys still finding gold and plenty that find nothing. Do the hard yards, the gold is there, just not on the surface.

5 users like this post: ProspectorPete, stevewilko, RM Outback, Bjay, EVIE/BEE

owenh1
10 January 2019 09:48 pm

I started detecting middle of last year. Never touched a metal detector before that point but have found gold in the GT in both Dunnoly and Maryborough (2 places supposedly flogged to death). Just go out and look smile sunny

11 users like this post: Hard Luck, grubstake, ProspectorPete, Northeast, Flatlander, RM Outback, stevewilko, Bjay, WatsonWatt, BigWave, ctxkid

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
11 January 2019 11:21 am

Have faith in your gear, in your ability, and swing slower than the last guy, and shuffle forwards, i.e. overlap, overlap and the gold will come. 1 bullet off some old diggings immediately tells me I'm doing everything right. This is the same as everywhere really.

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

15 users like this post: Hard Luck, Dingo, RM Outback, Rockhunter62, ProspectorPete, Flatlander, Nothing Great, EVIE/BEE, stevewilko, Ship of fools, lordo.1, Bjay, Gravity, BigWave, brucee

BigWave
11 January 2019 08:22 pm

My mates and I often go days without finding any, but then we do!
Yes, gold is getting harder to find, but it's the thrill of the hunt for us, and it is Always rewarding (friends, the bush, critters, exercise, wine and gold).
If you want to do it to make a living then pick a different profession.

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

10 users like this post: stevewilko, HoudiniHarry, ProspectorPete, Swinging & digging, Bjay, Reg Wilson, Gravity, goldrat, EVIE/BEE, RM Outback

Bjay
11 January 2019 08:53 pm

As to the OP and any one new to detecting, yes it’s been done to death and there’s no more to find, so not worth it. wink

7 users like this post: Sleckie74, WatsonWatt, hermann, Hard Luck, Gravity, ProspectorPete, RM Outback

Bjay
12 January 2019 12:01 am

Swinging & digging wrote:

I don,t get as much time as you to go prospecting, Nothing Great.
Live on the wrong side of town for easy access to GT, plus working full time in a demanding job.

My production is based on about 20 to 25 days detecting per year, 8 hours a day.

Sorry but thats a pretty low expectation. I probly get there for around the same amount of days but looking at a couple of grams per trip. A few years ago it was around 4 to 6 per trip but I’ve lowered my expectations. I’m happy with a couple now. It’s definitely getting harder though.

2 users like this post: BigWave, RM Outback

Gravity
12 January 2019 12:11 am

And lets not forget the excitement in planning a trip with a few of your mate's the BBQ and Camp Fire...Gold or no Gold I'm there big_smile

Z-7000 SPO1
Life's a garden Dig It.

6 users like this post: Bjay, ProspectorPete, BigWave, RM Outback, diggit, density

Bjay
12 January 2019 12:18 am

Dude Larry’s got to be a selling point for any trip. Youse all good guys but Larry’s a legend of the goldfield trip.

7 users like this post: BigWave, Gravity, RM Outback, hermann, diggit, density, AUaddict

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site