Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,I have a sdc,and found gold,I just bought a Minelab 4500, I'll be going out to Warwick to give it a run any suggestions to best settings, I will use standard coil.Any help would be great.

Hi 300,

A good start would be to ask in the "Detecting for gold" section instead of the "Alluvial gold" section. There should be some 4500 users there that will help. The mods can probably move your post to there if you ask.

Cheers

Doug

hey mate if your just starting out i would run in enhance soil timing, stability around 8 and gain 12 or to suit the ground. swing speed slow, search mode deep and swing slow. theres alot of settings published online that can help you out but you really want to get started with understanding what everything does, the jonathan ported dvds "seta project" http://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-outback-prospector-gold-metal-detecting-gpx4500-dvd/ are well worth watching,
he shoots most of his videos in clermont which is a bit hotter ground than Warwick but the info he shares is worth every cent. if using a large coil bigger than say 14 inch i would consider buying a composite shaft as the aluminium shafts from factory dumb down the sensitivity quite a bit.

besides that gold city detecting has some settings they share here for sunnycoast area, you'll find you will get alot more input by posting in the detector sections good luck

247274.jpg

Gday fellow gold hunters.I was talking to an old guy the other and he told me that he has been using the same 4500 that he's owned for years.He told me he had bought one of the first ones to hit the market.We got around to talking about different settings and he said he mainly uses factory settings and has found thousands of nuggets,but one interesting setting he uses is he has his iron reject on 4 or 5, yet the manual states while using mono coils this function doesn't work.He told me he does this in realy hot areas and it has increased his finds.My question is has any body heard of this before. looking forward to your responces Regards Rick.

He must be using a DD coil.
The manual clearly states iron discrimination doesn't work with mono coils or when switched to mono.
To prove it ....... Give it a go. I've used iron descrimination on a DD and it clearly works, but not on a mono.
Cheers

Yeah Dig'n-it, sounded a bit weird to me but ive never tried it so I didn't know either way, I only use mono coils so I always iron reject turned off I just thought it may have been one of these sneaky things Minelab hasn't told us lol

Perhaps it helps in other ways, unintentionally by minelab.
Its possible that even though it dosnt actually reject iron whilst being used with a mono coil, it may quiet down ground noise? Who Knows?

It may also be that the guy has used DD coils for years and recently changed to mono and not realising, so now it's a case of mind over matter and if that's how he thinks it works best then it works for him?

Worth trying on a target in noisy ground though just in case it's like Davent said.

Perhaps it has an effect. There's some reputable detectorists who run their DD's in mono and mono's in DD mode for example.

I have tested the iron reject simply out of curiosity on both the commander mono coil as well as on elite 14 and nf 15 mono.
Didn't discriminate iron at all. There was no difference in having it turned on or off when running the mono coil.
However it could happen to change certain circuitry and cause a dumb down effect on hot ground. But i highly doubt that it has any affect on hot ground at all.
I think as mentioned above it's more of a placebo effect.

You can only test it for yourself though, just too ease your mind. Give it a go and let us know ;)

Cheers
YF

Latest posts