Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running a mono coil in DD mode does sometimes add to stability...JP and others started this fad a long time ago. I always have run my mono in DD when using the 4500. Must give the old girl a run.. she has not talked to me since the 7000 came into my life.
RDD

Hi all,
I have been saving up to buy a second hand GPX 4500.
My questions are that I find some at around about $2500 and others at $3500.
(No extra coils).
One went a week ago with an extra coil for $2200 (I missed that one)

I figure if I have to but i didn't want to spend $3500 on a second hand one why wouldn't you just buy a new one?
are the new ones not as good ?
What am I missing ?

With my limited knowledge, I believe the older models were made in Australia and maybe they take preference with buyers over the newer ones made in Malaysia?

I'm sure one of the serious detector boys can fill you in. I hope you get a good deal either way :)

There is a 4000 on gumtree for $2250 and a 4500 for $2600 right now.

The only reason a used machine would be worth up near a new machine is the accessories it comes with. Extra coils, booster/speaker, bag, covers, spare battery & so on can add up to a lot of extra money so in some cases a used machine with some Minelab warranty left & a few accessories can be very good value.
The cheaper ones tend to be older machines with no warranty left. These can be a bargain too but I would prefer to be buying a known machine or one I could test first. Some come with extra coils etc. too but these can be older gear also.
IMO if a detector has few, if any, accessories & is up around new price then I would get the new machine with full warranty & try for a few extras off the dealer.
Some people seem to want back what they paid & don't seem to accept the fact that anything starts to depreciate as soon as you leave the shop. I've also seen unrealistic prices on out of warranty detectors with little or no accessories. Shopping around is the best bet & weigh up everything offered new or used - warranty/warranty left, extras/accessories, condition, age etc.

Robbie I have had 4 4500 over the years the one I have now is the latest model they are a very good detector love it runs quiet and very stable plus they have full warranty. The very first models about 12 years ago or more were recalled something to go this the wiring, another one I had was the last of the aus produced detector it was good but I believe the latest models are better ,over the years there are up grades to components and technology all of this is in the newer 4500 regards john :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

Regarding accessory most have a belt/harness and that's it , some do have an extra coil however its hard to determine the condition, nor if its what I am looking for .

I have found a harness on e-bay you can by for under $70

Maybe I should take a quote from the movie the castle ... " tell him he is dreaming" lol

Rob.

All the new 4500s have two coils, Mono and DD. The harness is also included and depends on dealer
you may get more gear for the 4500 such as pick and amplifier. Plus you get a warranty.
There are a few of the 4500s coming up for sale my advice would be try to get one with a warranty.
When something goes wrong you will be covered unless you drop it or give it a bath.
The 4500s are very well sort after for their value for money and choice of coils.
But always remember for around $3400 you can have new device with full warranty (look around).
So if you see one secondhand with warranty and 3 or 4 coils (the extra coil may be worth $300 plus) under $3k with accessories such as
amplifier, pick and cover this could be very good value but also remember there are fakes out there
so do your homework including s/n and original invoice. Check on the minelab site for genuine product.

HH

If your looking for a second hand machine and around the 3k mark do your self a favor buy a new one ,you get all the back up warranty etc and no probs with how the machine has been used ,I was lucky spent a bit of time looking for a second hand machine and found one in the NT had him send the serial number to me and contacted Minelab ,They told me where it was sold and when and how much warranty I had left, ended up costing me 3k all up with three extra coils ,bargains are out there but so are duds do your home work and always get the numbers of the machine and check it. PP

Thanks all ,
To be honest I was only wanting to spend less than $2.5k hence why I was look at second hand units.
I just couldn't figure out why some second hand units are going for $3.5k?
I don't think an extra coil is worth it the risk and couldn't figure out why someone would buy it for that price.

I am starting to think I should just keep saving until I can afford a new one.

I can't add much that hasn't been said in the excellent posts above. These guys know their stuff!

I agree with PP though, saving that extra money for a new machine (or a close to new machine with a good amount of warranty left) would be worth the peace of mind alone in the end. It's always a fair outlay for most of us after all so you're not alone here. We've definitely all been there and asked those exact questions :)

Personally, I spent around five years saving for the GPX5000 (while digging kilos of junk targets in the meantime using a Garrett Infinium!). Initially I was after a new 4500, but the 5000 was just due for release by the time I had the money together so I figured why not save a bit extra and go with a brand new model. Then by the time I knew what I was doing with the GPX, they dropped the SDC! :rolleyes: Gotta love this hobby... :lol:

Also, and no doubt you've thought about this, but do not discount the SDC as another option, particularly if you're new to detecting. The SDC opened old areas where I would never had thought gold was even remotely findable after the GPX's had already been through.

Either way, both machines will do exactly what you need and find the good stuff if it's about, not to mention that will both have excellent resale value if you decide it's not the hobby for you or you decide to upgrade in the future :Y:

All the best and let us know how you proceed with it.
Regards,
Shauno.

i bought a new 4500 4 days ago .it is a good deal at the moment to buy new rather than second hand i did a lot of thinking and looking and decided on the new one .been saving up for mine for about 3 years and now i have it . i also bought the 14" mono elite coil cos on the day i was going to brisbane to buy it the mrs knowing how long i have wanted this thing threw another 500 at me and said buy some thing else with that if there is anything else you want while your there . i think if i ever do find a nugget or 2 she might have a nice pendant and a pair of ear rings coming her way . now all that is left to do is get a chance or create one and get out there and wave it about a lot .

johno

Thanks guys.
I should of told you I have a Minelab GM1000.
My thinking is that I use the GPX and my daughters can use the Monster.
That way I can target deeper gold and my daughters can target the fine gold with the Monster.

Hi everyone. I have never used a detector in my life, Im itching to go prospecting so I'm thinking about hiring a 4500 and having a crack. Can someone with zero experience dial one of these things in easy enough or do you need a degree in electrical engineering to set them up? I'm sure the store will give me some pointers. The nearest store is 2 hours away so I'm thinking about hiring it for a couple of weeks if they allow so I can have a decent go.

Mate ,
The 4500 is a great machine to use, even for a first timer. BUT , you need to just use it on the basic settings and only get to know how to ground balance it and adjust the threshold, RX and stabilizer before you attempt to change anything else. FORGET about the other settings until you have mastered the basic use of the machine.
I have seen too many people come out here to Hill End with the new detectors trying to use settings that they have got from a bloke in California/ UK/ Canada / Africa etc off Youtube and wonder why their machine wont work correctly where they are.

If you can come up to Hill End for our get together next month you can have a go of my 4500 and I will show you how it performs.
I also have a 2300 that is available for you to have a go of and for anyone else that attends

Cheers

Bob

You're on the right track Newby82. Just get the store to set it up for you for your area. They'll know how to set it, and they'll give you the run down on to adjust the basics.
Also download the user book and read it through a couple of times before hand. You'll be ok.
Enjoy.

Latest posts