Shane_vor's AT Max finds.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that what they are :p I've found a few of those and also thought they were srew driver handles :lol: keep going Shane your about to start producing the goodies mate ;) that nurses belt was a great find in my book. :Y:
shane_vor said:
Finds for today.

A smashed up silverplate spoon with some (hall)marks on it, a glass bottle stopper and a silver coloured (screwdriver handle as my wife called it). A closer inspection reveals the words (SCH)RADER UNIVE(RSAL) VALVE TORONTO CAN. PATENT APPLIED FOR.

Can't find what it is yet, working on that.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10872/1507530578_20171009_171553.jpg

(Edit: Nickel tyre valve dust cover possibly from an A Model Ford.)

Secret Squirrels said:
Is that what they are :p I've found a few of those and also thought they were srew driver handles :lol: keep going Shane your about to start producing the goodies mate ;) that nurses belt was a great find in my book. :Y:

It just didn't sit right with me that it was a screwdriver handle. Out with the magnifying glass and I could only just make out some lettering, so some cleaning later and I had most of it. Learning something new everyday and I'm kinda liking the research side of things, the internet makes it easier than digging holes!!! I'm digging items from around the late 1800's to the 1930's (the modern stuff is aluminium cans!) so fingers crossed something of value pops up.

I've started hitting parks and I am absolutely killing it with the ring pulls and mashed up bits of aluminium! After three days out I have a little over $1 in decimals, no predecs.

I'm seeing all the other posts with lots of coins and wonder how much rubbish you guys are picking up to find those coins? Am I doing something wrong? I'm all for doing my bit in cleaning up the environment but sometimes I wonder if I've taken it to a new level!!! :D

I try to avoid places with modern rubbish :D
But I have buckets of metallic junk,you can't avoid it and if you want gold rings,you will be the council's free clean up crew :Y:

I know Goldie Park hasn't had as much rubbish as other places I have detected, Most I ever dug of rubbish in one hit was 5kgs of Cans and bottles with caps on, reason being I hit on a good Penny Coin spill and decided to clean up the area to see if there were any more. There were more and also picked up a nice George V Silver. :)

Edited: Stick with it mate sometimes just moving 5 feet one way or the other will get you to a coin patch.

shane_vor said:
I've started hitting parks and I am absolutely killing it with the ring pulls and mashed up bits of aluminium! After three days out I have a little over $1 in decimals, no predecs.

I'm seeing all the other posts with lots of coins and wonder how much rubbish you guys are picking up to find those coins? Am I doing something wrong? I'm all for doing my bit in cleaning up the environment but sometimes I wonder if I've taken it to a new level!!! :D
keep at it mate we all pick up more rubbish the anything else
even on the beach the other day i didnt get enough to even pay for the fuel to get there :lol: :lol: :lol:
keep it low keep it slow and if it makes a noise try and guess what it is then dig it ]:D ]:D ]:D

Hi shane_vor!

I'm also a newb but living in Manly...you're doing better than me and I'm supposed to be surrounded by beaches oozing finds.....

Have also got a holiday place in Katoomba and often up there - nice area.

How about Wentworth Lake there must be some stuff left around there over the years?

Lots of Mining history too but suspect most of that is in Nat Parks...

Just read a book called "The Chert Bubble" about Chert quarries over at Mount Vic.....apparantly they spent a motza building infra to get the stuff out and there is lots of old stuff such as railway and machinery still there...

Today I returned from a recce to Sunny Corner near Lithgow but wasn't real productive....

Anyhow good luck and if you ever need a detecting buddy give me a hoi! I'm retired and so haveno time pressure as to when to get out :)

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the advice gents, you know, if you blokes posted up pics of the rubbish you find as well as the treasure it might give muppets like me a better gauge as to how we're performing! :D

I'll definitely keep plugging away.

Dave, I plan to hit up some beaches soonish, but probably the eastern beaches, was thinking the smaller ones, that don't get raked by cleaning tractors, or is it better to hit a bigger beach? I'm a beach 'virgin'.

The lake at Wentworth Falls is on my list, there is also a ruined Cobb and Co. hotel across the railway line from the lake, but there are many sites up here in the mountains.

I have a 'go to' place up here which, judging by the noises my machine makes has plenty of stuff left (value not known!!!) and I'd be more than happy to have you along just spear me a PM.

Shane, maybe the park you are doing has been almost done to death by someone that put the rubbush back into the holes as they went.
good practice though until you find a spot they missed. No one gets em all mate ! (not even me lol) :D

silver said:
Shane, maybe the park you are doing has been almost done to death by someone that put the rubbush back into the holes as they went.
good practice though until you find a spot they missed. No one gets em all mate ! (not even me lol) :D

I hope they haven't been putting it back! :eek:

Some people only take away what they want.
I've dug fresh holes before because they still had signals ,..... only to find the rubbish that they put back in and covered over again. So, imagine once the grass has healed, you'd never know unless there was a slight plug shaped depression in the grass. :eek:

Just have to resign to the fact that finding older predecimals can take some time, especially to get your "ear in" on the tones you should be digging. Also have to put yourself in the right spot in the first place, some areas will have no predecimals, just modern fill, junk and a few moden coins. Generally a combination of research, testing various areas, and just plain persistence will get you onto some of the older stuff. Took me a while to find my first predecimal, not to mention digging a ton of junk initially.

If you find the amount of junk to overwhelming, move to another location - no point a getting overly frustrated at such an early stage, really need to be in a positive frame of mind to make things happen.

You can eventually get to the stage where you can audibly pick out deeper high conductor predecimals from louder and more "in your face" type tones from shallower modern junk. Don't just use your pinpoint mode to accurately locate targets for retrieval, it also comes in handy to "size targets". Meaning that most deep high conductor coins will only have a small cross section vs say a large chunk of high conductor canslaw sitting a few inches under the surface (might sound good, but pinpoint too large for a coIn). Look at your target ID, are the numbers stable or do they fluctuate a fair bit? Solid metal targets, especially round ones will provide reasonably consistent numbers and tones, irregularly shaped items tend to get the ID and tone jumping around a bit (thinking canslaw, ringpulls, iron, scrap metal etc).

Move your coil around the target from different angles, does the tone change dramatically from a sweet high tone to an iron tone (or completely disappear if running iron discrimination), most likely a deep iron target. A coin in reasonably clean ground should sound and ID similalrly from different angles - possibly a different matter if the coin signal is being influenced by adjacent junk or iron (iron tends to drag down the target ID number).

If chasing modern coins, test out some coins noting their ID, and try notching out the rest of the junk. This should help narrow down the number of junk targets you dig (you will still dig some), and hopefully should increase the number of good finds. Once you eventually get used to the coin tones and ID's, then you can open the detector up a bit more with less notches to introduce a few more targets to the mix (espeically if after gold jewellery in the foil to pulltab range). Notching is really only effective on the shallower targets, as target ID's will degrade at depth, not to mention possibly overlooking coins on edge that may fall outside of the accepted coin ID range. :)

old parks will always have old coins. You prob wont be the first detectorist there, so do the bits less obvious, look for the lowest patches, that look original, not built-up. Go slow, brush your coil along the grass, and if you do find a pre dec, grid that section, walk lines, because coins are seldom found alone from others. I will show my junk, rubbish next time :)

It can depend on the park/ground sometimes....some is quiet some is junky. Whatever happens your bound to pull some non desired targets out, potentially less as time goes on and you get a feel for what is likely junk and what are not. Detecting can be a game of patience....and sometimes it gets the better of me too, your definitely not alone. If you back through some early posts by everyone here you'll see some junk ratios. And some places are just a nightmare for tones and rubbish, There's one park I go to (conveniently located on my drive home) that I just search about 2x3m square at a time.....that is all I can handle in one go.

That said I personally dig plenty, aluminium bottle caps for $2 coins, pulltabs for 5c, 10c, beavertails for 20c, brass and copper for silver/copper coins. Also as already mentioned a lot of aluminum junk rings in the same as gold rings....Ultimately you either dig it to increase your finds or you leave it and pick up the shallower cherry tones and leave behind targets that are available, especially older deeper coins. The good news is whatever you dig up you don't have to re dig. ...Each subsequent session becomes quieter. I try to think of it that way, I work rotation around areas depending on time of year, this year has been better than the others before it because the ground is clear making recent drops easy to collect.

Stick at it mate.....it will come, the day it starts to click is reward enough for being patient.

OldDogNewTrick said:
Hi shane_vor!

I'm also a newb but living in Manly...you're doing better than me and I'm supposed to be surrounded by beaches oozing finds.....

Have also got a holiday place in Katoomba and often up there - nice area.

How about Wentworth Lake there must be some stuff left around there over the years?

Lots of Mining history too but suspect most of that is in Nat Parks...

Just read a book called "The Chert Bubble" about Chert quarries over at Mount Vic.....apparantly they spent a motza building infra to get the stuff out and there is lots of old stuff such as railway and machinery still there...

Today I returned from a recce to Sunny Corner near Lithgow but wasn't real productive....

Anyhow good luck and if you ever need a detecting buddy give me a hoi! I'm retired and so haveno time pressure as to when to get out :)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm a local on the Northern Beaches also, I've flogged nearly every park and beach in the area so hard that even I'm getting frustrated with a lack of finds now. :p

Once the beaches start filling up with people again the detecting can get pretty good. These two links are both my finds threads from this year and last year, pretty much everything was found locally.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12808
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20699

shane_vor said:
Thanks for the advice gents, you know, if you blokes posted up pics of the rubbish you find as well as the treasure it might give muppets like me a better gauge as to how we're performing! :D

I'll definitely keep plugging away.

Dave, I plan to hit up some beaches soonish, but probably the eastern beaches, was thinking the smaller ones, that don't get raked by cleaning tractors, or is it better to hit a bigger beach? I'm a beach 'virgin'.

The lake at Wentworth Falls is on my list, there is also a ruined Cobb and Co. hotel across the railway line from the lake, but there are many sites up here in the mountains.

I have a 'go to' place up here which, judging by the noises my machine makes has plenty of stuff left (value not known!!!) and I'd be more than happy to have you along just spear me a PM.

Half way down the rubbish...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20579&p=1

And more rubbish...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20579&p=3

And more half way down...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20579&p=7

Yesterday's hunt for example.Rubbish on the right including canslaw,bottle caps,ring pulls etc,with a few coins on the left.20c,a few 2c and a few 1c.Stick with it Shane as you never know what will be next to come out of the ground as my 2nd photo shows.The rewards are there mate.
1508289262_img_1424.jpg
1508289289_img_1425.jpg

Latest posts