Asking for permission

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol - the guy complaining in the video is also a metal detectorist who did have permission hence him being upset at the other guy... I'm sure the landowner would not have had a clue :lol:

I've been having a bit of luck recently gaining more and more property about. I just thought I'd share an example of one way I ask or I terest someone. I make sure I have a few photos on standby with my finds, me detecting and also before and after digging shots to show restoration of ground. Its not always as simple as this, but its always a bliss when it is :)

Don't be afraid just ask. The worst you will get is a negative responce

1475040048_14750399778680.jpg

I'd also add that the you would be willing to show the property owner whatever you find, and possibly even offer some of the finds for them to keep to stay in the good books. Do it right and
they will often refer you to other property owners or friends/family, or at least give you some new leads to chase.

Personally I would be happy to make some finds, photograph them, and hand anything significant back to the property owner. In most cases they won't want to keep the finds, but at least you offered in the first place. ;)

Yeah that's already been mentioned to them :) some don't care, some just want a look, some want something. Its important the owners know of any significant find especially if of value, historically or family heirloom etc. Coins keep me happy :D

I've a question for the experienced relic hunter.
You see a fireplace and chimney standing alone on a field and a new house on the same field.
You go and ask to detect around the chimney figuring someone lived a life there, who knows what
you will find. They say yes.

My question is how do you work out the share of things found?
If you find a few coins no big deal, but what if you find a gold sovereign.
I can see trouble. How do you guys handle it.
Your experience please!

I always start by putting myself in the landowners shoes, and letting my conscience guide me to a fair price...

You could 'haggle' a price you feel comfortable, after asking them how much they expect to get? By finding this out first, you will know if your wasting your time & effort or not...

ymmv...

i had one that wanted 50 50 just to drive through his property to where i needed to go :brokenh:
took a while but found another way around that cost me nothing apart from fuel and another half hour travel ]:D
another dosent want anything at all he is on 400 acres (two old blokes used to make a living off it they they up and died)
just told me to leave only foot prints when i leave :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
i all comes down to the person and what good or bad experiences they have had
LMO

After 21 years I'm giving most of all my finds back to the owners (does open a few doors). If I find a cool buckle, button or coin I like I will ask and generally get to keep it. Your conscious and morals will be a guide as you could always pocket the item. Some people nowadays will be cautious and if you approach them talking about money value then this might reinforce the idea that you are there to make money on their land. Sometimes I make the comment of splitting the pot of gold if I find one. With some owners I always go back after my hunt and show them what I found and the truth is that most see the things we find as junk only.

Hi folks, I've been eyeing an old farmhouse property off for a while now, so today I wrote out a quick letter blah blah blah permission?, and I was gonna pop it in the mailbox with my details. So I drove there, no mailbox. I decided to enter (through closed gate) and as I walked up the drive, it was looking more and more like nobody was living there. Just overgrown a bit and the house is kinda dilapidated looking. I couldn't even see a clear path to a front door. Looking at the yard up the back, it had old barns and structures, BIG old trees everywhere, it is a detectorists wet dream this property. I nearly pulled the nox out there ND then. How do I find out if anyone is living there? And if there isn't, how would I go about contacting owner? This place MUST be detected! Lol

Manpa said:
Check with neighbouring properties
Was gonna do that manpa but no one within 500 metres either side, I'll have to find someone tho, so I'll be back for a sus

Latest posts