Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of these type of discriminating machines seem reliable. The GMT for example will grunt as if iron on certain types/shapes of gold to in particular reefy gold. It can't make it's mind up on some other bits either.
I was always told/taught with the GMT that if the signal is strongly into the gold side then it's pretty well 100% sure to be something non ferrous. If it's strongly into the iron side (or grunting) then it's pretty well 100% sure to be a ferrous object.
If the machine is around the middle or can't make up it's mind you need to dig!
Sounds like the Gold Monster is the same.
How did the ground tracking seem?

I'm gtting one just to play around with when out camping or on a beach, looks easy to use without the added weight of a harness.

If anything I'm sure the kids will have fun with it.

When is it available ?

We currently do not own a detector so after reading through threads on here and other pages on the web we are thinking either a SDC 2300 or a Gold Monster. Will be going to talk to a dealer soon (Assuming the gold monster is released soon) but would be interested what everyone else thinks.

Hi Mel & Ben,

I have the SDC and absolutely love it. It would have to be one of the easiest detectors to use. They do like finding all the small stuff but they can find the big stuff as well. I have a collection of numerous large metal items and horse shoes to prove it. Best nugget was about 8gms but one day I'll put it over the top of a good one. You can't go wrong with this detector. :) :Y:

Cheers

Doug

It's going to be hard to give a good answer to this for a few months Melben - after a few general public users have had a chance to compare them and not just the marketing hype that is provided with any new machine.

As with Doug I have an SDC and they are great. I'm also thinking about the Monster for its abilities in trashy areas. But then I'm told that trusting the VLF discrimination is not the smartest idea.

Depends what you're chasing, where, what type of ground, how often are you going to use it, what's your budget...you get the idea :)

Good luck with your choice :Y:

Can't really go to far wrong at $1099. I wonder if this is a introductory offer an the price will go up after the launch.

I'm pre ordering one today :)

MelBen said:
We currently do not own a detector so after reading through threads on here and other pages on the web we are thinking either a SDC 2300 or a Gold Monster. Will be going to talk to a dealer soon (Assuming the gold monster is released soon) but would be interested what everyone else thinks.

For 90% of aussie soils the SDC will be the better option due to being a PI, and its superior handling of nearly any mineralisation you throw at it. As with other quality gold VLF's when used in favourable soils (basically lower iron content) the VLFs start to catch up fast and may even exceed the SDC on certain gold.

I have an SDC and for detecting shallow red clay, scrubby areas, shallow mineralised diggings etc it is the detector of choice. My high freq VLF of choice (at the moment) is the Makro Gold Racer which gets used on milder ground, quartz wash areas, near electric fences and high voltage power lines, and if I want to scan through a really trashy area. The GM1000 will fit the bit for all those tasks very well also and with virtually zero set-up.

I think I'll grab one at the price ........................ lend it to all my "mates" to wander around the paddocks with :Y: Might stop them from trying to borrow my other little nugget finders :D :D

1491621056_monster_god1.jpg

:)

Well, GM1000 ordered, got to have a play with it in the store. Handy to have in the tool kit and give to the kids to use. Very light and easy fr them.

Discrimination can never be 100% reliable, especially when dealing with low conductive targets (most common gold), and mineralised soils.

Mbasko, yes you are spot on. The idea behind the bar graph, (some machines use a % confidence) is that the detector is giving you an honest appraisal, and it's still up to the user to decide what to do with that information. Gold in ironstone is another tricky one, as you have one target with both conductive and magnetic properties.

Moneybox, thanks for the report but one clarification I'd like to point out is you say "when the bar goes to the right it's gold". This sound like the holy grail gold only detector everyone dreams of :cool: When the bar goes to the right, the detector simply thinks the target is non-ferrous. In the getting started guide, Minelab say "high gold chance".

Goldflower said:
Well, GM1000 ordered, got to have a play with it in the store. Handy to have in the tool kit and give to the kids to use. Very light and easy fr them.

Agreed, also great to have in the caravan and have a play when you feel like it, doesen't take any room and dont need to panic when the kids get hold of it :)

Latest posts