Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Silver mentioned, the Ace 300i might be right up you alley at $499. Not a huge amount of difference between that and the older Ace 250 except for ID numbers, faster recovery speed, larger coil, slightly higher frequency, improved stem and frequency shift. Very easy detectors to use, certainly moreso than the 305, though I would expect more depth ability on mineralised ground with the 305 due to ground balance controls. The Ace series also have a whole raft of Garrett and aftermarket coils to suit various application. Pretty sure the new Ace series comes with control box cover, skid plate and volume control headphones. :)

Also note that the more expensive Ace 400i includes the larger DD coil, iron audio, and yet again a higher frequency, other that that they are pretty similar (approx $650, have seen prices closer to $600 from some dealers).

You won't go wrong with an early model minelab explorer I have detected heaps of coins, jewelry etc definitely a great machine. Well recommended.

Hi
I have looked around on a lot of metal detectors and been looking at reviews of detectors and it's good and bad, up and down, but I would like some help with what metal detector to get. I do not have the biggest budget maybe a max 400-500$ but I won't let it be final if something is much better for ex. 50 more. I would like a detector that can work a bit of all round as I have the possibility to detect for gold near where I live and got heaps of beaches to hunt for coins on, that is my main hunting target, I know there is a lot in between but just to give an idea, saying that I do not need a detector that will go down to the grain on gold as I assume they are very expensive. I have looked at Tesoro compadre, Tesoro silver Umax, xterra 705 and garrret AT Gold, last 2 I will probably get in used condition. The compadre seemed to me to be able to do what I need but I thought I would hear what this place had to say before I go make investments. At the moment I'm leaning towards a compadre or xterra 705(if I can find a good price)
Thank you
Tom

I am based in New South Wales at the moment, more specific near Tamworth. But will be moving soon down to southern part of NSW close to Merimbula and Eden.
What I'm looking for mostly is a beach detector that will be able to find gold as well.

this is only my opinion but i got an xterra duel pack and have not looked back
while it is not the best of the best i like it and that's what it comes down to is what you like
when you come down this way there is a few of us here just pm when you can (after 10 posts) only to happy to help

I have the garrett ace 250 and as a newbie it is great in my eyes, especially that I picked it up for $150 off my mate in Cairns. There are so many out there so just look at what you can afford to begin with but stay away from the very cheap eBay ones I reckon. :Y:

The Ace series of detectors are great units to start out on, though are really restricted to dry sand detecting and not the most competant machines for gold detecting having no ground balancing ability.

Choosing a detector for both gold detecting and also for wet sand ability is always going to be a challenge for around the $500 mark. Don't discount buying second hand off ebay, even from abroad, as some bargains can be had even including international postage. Some detectors that can be used for both coin/relic/gold and beach might include the Whites MXT and Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, or the older Makro Red Racer, plus a miriad of other models. The Racer in particular has very good beach ability on wet sand for a VLF.

The Minelab 705 is always an attractive proposition with local dealerships and servicing, plus with prices now heading down to the $500-$600 mark for second hand units.

Another detector to consider second hand is the Fisher Gold Bug Pro (or DP model with larger 11" coil), or the Teknetics G2 (same detector with a much more ergonomic shaft setup and 11" coil). These are quite underated coin detectors, both with gold ability and ground balancing that will go down to salt for wet sand. Just be careful buying the Gold Bug, as any advertised on ebay from China are most likely inferior copies.

Very hard to get a cheap AT Pro or AT Gold these days, as they tend to hold their value compared to some other detectors.

Always query previous owners on original proof of purchase to ensure you get the genuine article, plus also handy for warranty if it still applies. :)

Down my way Eh. ?
Xterra 705 dual pack... VLF machine and quite capable.
I have one plus a 4500.
The Gold down here is fine so a detector will not pick it up.
There are spots up the coast that a PI machine like a 4500
shines out.
Let me know when you are heading down this way.
Like to hear from you. :D
Doug

Thanks for the responses gives a bit more to think about :D tathradj you mention a VLF machine, what is that? Also seeing what you say about the finer gold, might make me reconsider the gold part, and focus more on beach hunting, 1 thing that crossed my mind about coin hunting with all these credit cards replacing cash, are the beaches really much for coin hunting? So if looking a bit more on beach hunting, what detectors would be able to handle wet and dry sand + maybe a waterproof coil, I like the Tesoro brand and what I hear about it, but the 705 seems like a good starter, basically I would like one that can find everything, so someone right behind won't find something I walked over, I know depth won't come with the low budget but considering that some detectors go lower than others in the same price range.

Thank you for all the replies, it's nice to see so many interested in helping.
Tom :)

VLF stands for Very Low Frequency.
PI Stands for Pulse Induction.
PI machines are more sensitive in a lot of cases than a VLF.
Yet, A VLF in some small instances will work better than a PI.
You want the best of both worlds yet do not know what to do. ?
As a starter,
Get a Xterra 705 Dual pack. :D
It will be worth it in the long run. You will not
waste your money. :Y:

I have an Xterra 705 daul pack and find its great unit for the price and the few times I have used it on sand works just fine you have to work out what you will do the most off and buy the best to your budget but you will have fun no matter what so hope all goes well and see you out there soon

Units that can do beach and a bit of gold need the following:

- A beach GB or salt mode that can actually ground balance to the wet sand - otherwise you are restricted to dry sand

- A threshold based motion all-metal mode with a good ground balance, and preferably auto tracking for the goldfields.

The units I know that fit these requirements starting from most expensive to cheapest are:

PI's
GPX5000 *
GPX4500 *
SDC2300

VLF's
Nokta Impact - out in about a month *
Nokta Fors Relic
Makro Racer 2 *
Nokta Fors CoRe
X-Terra 705
Makro Red Racer ($750)

* Is for units that have a stability control, so you can control how stable you want the threshold. This helps in pinging smaller targets in mineralised soils, and more critical for the VLF units. E.g. the SDC doesn't have stability control and is probably the best unit for small gold in highly mineralised soils. But when comparing say the Racer 2 all-metal mode to the CoRe all-metal mode, Racer 2 wins hands down.

Cheers,

Nenad

Hi there, I'm looking to buy a Metal Detector Specifically for Gold and Silver For the sum of around $500. And any places to buy them would be useful around Sydney. Thanks

HI Emanuel to be honest a $500 detector would only get you a coil and relic detector for detecting in parks and on beaches and then not a very good one.A entry level detector for gold second hand you are looking at $1000 to $2000 for a detector that will do the job save some more money ,I can under stand not wanting to spend a lot of money but you only get what you pay for :) regards john

HoudiniHarry said:
I don't think that's very useful! :N:

Agree with RJ & Oldhand you're going to struggle to find anything around that price especially new. Will you be specifically detecting for gold nuggets or gold & silver jewellery? Remember all detectors are METAL detectors & although some are aimed more towards gold detecting will still pick up ALL metals. Some machines, mainly VLF'S, have varying types of discrimination but are usually still restricted to ferrous or non ferrous identification which can have varying degrees of accuracy to. A detector cannot specifically ID gold or other metals but they can help the operator make decisions about digging a target or not.

Some used detectors that may fit your budget:

Minelab SD2000 - Pulse Induction gold prospecting detector. Have seen these sell fairly low but they are still rare at that price. Getting old now & no longer serviceable at Minelab. May get a low price SD2100 too?

Fisher Gold Bug Pro or DP - 19khz VLF. Be careful with these. Lots of Chinese fakes around. More orientated towards gold detecting but do have discrimination & quite capable of being used for coins, relics, jewellery & even beach detecting. http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...fisher-gold-bug-pro-nugget-metal-detector.htm

Fisher Gold Bug 2 - 71khz VLF. More a gold prospecting detector. Very sensitive to small gold.

Whites GMT - 48khz VLF. More a gold prospecting detector than anything but could be used for coins/relics etc. Very sensitive to small gold.

Others to look into include Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT Gold, Makro Racer, Makro Gold Racer, Whites MXT, Whites SST, Whites SPP (PI), Minelab Eureka Gold but in all cases you'd be lucky to pick one up for $500 even used.

Latest posts