Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Goldwright,
Great to see ML sorted your CTX screen problems, as you say they are great machines for what they do, I had an opportunity to run the 3030 over some old gold miner's camps during the week and then cover the same ground with the GPZ7000, you could hardly put the 7000 coil near the ground, the place was loaded with junk targets and the 7000 certainly let you know. The 3030 on the other hand cruised along sorting the better sounding targets from the rubbish.
Cheers, SinHof.

How long have these been kicking about? Can anyone remember a deal whereby they were on special for $1600 new? Trying to ascertain age on what would be a 3rd hand machine, but the present owner only put about 3hrs on it. He paid $1100 and is selling for a grand. Wouldn't mind a waterproof machine, but worried about age and wondering if the guy that paid 1600 also bought it 2nd hand, though he said he bought it new.
Any help appreciated

The Etrac was 1600 new, the CTX has always been $1000 more. Minelab have just released a new battery pack with upgraded seals for water hunting, not sure how much it cost but would be worth it. I paid my CTX off very quickly, they are well worth even the retail price. If you can get one for a grand then that is a seriously good deal.

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out. Doesn't have to handle water hunting, it's just this year I have been frustrated with day after day of heavy rain keeping me indoors and I'd like to put an end to that for next year.
C

edit: He said it was waterproof and could be completely soaked and the headphones were Bluetooth. That got me thinking 3030, but he couldn't remember the model because he used it and put it away pretty much. Said he couldn't come to grips with it.

I'll go and look at it, whatever it is if I don't want it I'll make sure it's offered here to everyone else, someone has already put their hand up if it's a 3030 and I don't want it, so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the help
C

Hi pretty new to detecting I've been using my go find 40 and have had a great time but now I want to upgrade looking at the ctx 3030 hoping to save some $$$ and buy secondhand what should I look out for and what's a good price
Cheers

Got mine about a year ago for $1700 and still had 2 years warranty left just as will it did screen went black 5 mouth's after i got it fixed under warranty so try and get one with warranty.

Bit hard to get your head around to start with google and YouTube are your best friend lots of info on how to use it the more you play with it the easier it is to switch between setting with out thinking manual is useless. Not sorry i got it now.

Cool brought a second hand one with a garret carrot for 2000 should get here next week. Then go hit the beachs around Victoria

hi guys pretty new to the ctx just wondering how to find some new programs for the ctx? Ive been looking in some pretty trashy parks
cheers

G'day Tassie, I just usually make my own custom ones. I will post up my types custom ones tomorrow, if you think you might want to try them you can.

There are others around such as on some ctx facebook pages etc.

I make mine pretty specific for the main places I detect.

Deano.G said:
Have just started out With the CTX 3030 it is a great Machine
Can't anything but agree.
Borrowed it from friend and guess what?
First target under 10 minutes Rolex watch :D
second platinum/gold wedding ring, platinum ring with diamonds, gold ring, silver ring and so on. No I'm not joking, that was reality.
It's more about locality then about a machine but still impressive detector.Looking to get one.

Have had a 3030 for about 16 months, my advice is dig everything you can and get use to the readings. I rarely dig any junk nowadays especially in trashy areas. I also switch target separation options quite a fair bit.

Last year I got a second hand CTX 3030. I have not used it much at all but was dudded a bit when I bought it. It was older than I was told and I am the third owner. I really only got it to muck around with on my travels etc. Nothing serious, just a bit of fun. Anyway...I took it with me on a recent trip and low and behold it would not work. To cut it short...the lithium battery is buggered. I have the AA battery pack and will use that. Minelab of course will do nothing and only warrant their batteries for 6 months which I think is pretty rubbish. I have lithium batteries that are still going after 6 years so I am not really happy with this situation.
I'm not going to fork out another $180 for a battery and can't find the AA battery pack holder listed as a spare part ( I was going to run with 2 of them as a possibility) so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I assume it's just bad luck for me. My mate tells me you can get cells replaced in lihtium batteries but I can't find out any info on this.

You can get the AA packs for CTX on ebay. It really depends on how the Lithium Ion battery was treated and one question have you checked the charger to make sure its not faulty? I have both the CTX and GPZ batteries and not had one drama with them after very solid use with lots of cycles but if battery charger does not have right voltage charging can be a problem. Make sure you have 2 solid green lights on charger and if you get a flashing red light something is wrong.

Hi Im new on here hope Im in the right part can someone please help me with the minelab 705 setting for use on the beach thanks it my first time using it

Latest posts