Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to the hardend metal side of this , when i made my pick i only used thick checker plate , so mild steel , so i run all my welds in one go and had it glowing red then dunked it into sump oil and the quick cooling and carbon in used sump oil hardends the steel. It is guess work on how hot and how soon to dunk it , as this is the key in to soft or to hard.
But any way its all fun , over welding a plow disc will also make the steel mild again , but the pics on here look fine in my book.
I posted pics of my pick in "today i made " if anyones interested or i can repost em here.

Nice picks by the way look good.

Thanks Aussifarmer, yeah I will go and have a look at your pick, and why not, post it here I reckon.

I just bought a pick from member Bluejeansronald....it's a great unit and works well. I got a longer handled version to use for detecting and it works a treat.

Got it based on a recommendation from Cecc and a couple of goes using Cecc's pick.

It's good that PA members can support other PA members who make good quality gear.
cheers

MikeB05 said:
I just bought a pick from member Bluejeansronald....it's a great unit and works well. I got a longer handled version to use for detecting and it works a treat.

Got it based on a recommendation from Cecc and a couple of goes using Cecc's pick.

It's good that PA members can support other PA members who make good quality gear.
cheers
I agree Mike, support each other.

check out my thread on leaf spring picks. I bought a spring from the wreckers for $5 and made 4 picks. $1.25 each because I had the steel for the handles in the shed. Cant do much better than that surely? And my pick is great

I built mark 1 of my detecting pick complete with neodymium magnets to speed up getting the nails and junk out of trashy ground , it started as a test to see if I could make the tapered handle holder like a mattock and also how the bends would work out , only zapped it up with arc welder as I wasn't planning on using it but its good enough I will use it ,wish I had of fired the mig up now but any way :rolleyes:
the head is 320 mm long and 130 mm wide and the handle is a half size mattock handle that is 900 mm long.
1473499459_img_20160821_140327_661-optimized.jpg

1473499482_img_20160821_140350_623-optimized.jpg

1473499510_img_20160821_140414_530-optimized.jpg

I have a Little Ripper and it stands up to it's name.
Ron only has his store open when he has the stock to sell.
Please, Look him up on here and send him a PM.
He will answer you. :) :)

Mine is the little brother pick, i have dug plenty of large holes and some in hard calcrete material. :cool: cant fault his picks.
Occasionally it even finds me gold :p lol

I have the little ripper and it's a top rated pick, tough and will last the distance. Right down to the hard wood handle. Spotted Gum wood handle.

Latest posts