Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Ok enough of the secret squirrel buisness! I would love an answer to the OP' can the SDC Run with a larger coil or not? I don't care who has built one' has it been done' Wolfau....?

No I have not seen this done.

Maybe not but do you know someone that "has" seen it done...?

Who wants to donate a SDC iv got a box of tools and a shed....?
(Hacksaw, duct tape and old broom)

The broom is to sweep the lot out the door when iv finished...

The SDC is pretty good how it is, bigger coils may lose sensitivity or increase EMI. I think from memory when I bought it the dealer may have said a larger coil may be available in the future but it would have to be sent back to minelab for fitting. I don't know, my memory fails me some days. Can't remember exactly who said it.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Maybe not but do you know someone that "has" seen it done...?

Who wants to donate a SDC iv got a box of tools and a shed....?
(Hacksaw, duct tape and old broom)

The broom is to sweep the lot out the door when iv finished...

No and unless I see it I won't believe it.

The coil attaching to the shaft should not be an
Issue.

Hey guys and gals. I just have a few questions regarding emi problems with the detector.
Just went for a few hours this morning on a property covered in mullock heaps. This particular spot is about 150-200 meters from houses and a busy highway.
However along with the threshold making a wobbling sound it would make a strong false signal every 2-3 seconds weather i would hold the coil up or have it on the ground.
Last week i was just getting the wobbling sound. I was in the middle of nowhere but there was thunder rolling in from over the horrizon.
i guess my question is is this normal to experience emi problems at these distances with the sdc? I have heard of 5000 owners having these sort of issues but i thought the sdc was meant to be better with these sort of situations.
also, is having a strong false signal every 3 seconds normal?
Still managed to find the odd bird shot and slug gun pellet but no gold today.

I sometimes had that happen, too. Some days not at all, and other days just like you wrote: every few seconds.

A few times when it happened I moved to a different area (about 20km away) and it didn't happen there.

I put it down to some sort of local Interference source (communications tower, farm equipment, generator, etc), but I didn't investigate too far.

On the flip side, the SDC seemed to be almost immune to interference in other areas and at times when the GPX would go crazy...

Greglz86 said:
Hey guys and gals. I just have a few questions regarding emi problems with the detector.
Just went for a few hours this morning on a property covered in mullock heaps. This particular spot is about 150-200 meters from houses and a busy highway.
However along with the threshold making a wobbling sound it would make a strong false signal every 2-3 seconds weather i would hold the coil up or have it on the ground.
Last week i was just getting the wobbling sound. I was in the middle of nowhere but there was thunder rolling in from over the horrizon.
i guess my question is is this normal to experience emi problems at these distances with the sdc? I have heard of 5000 owners having these sort of issues but i thought the sdc was meant to be better with these sort of situations.
also, is having a strong false signal every 3 seconds normal?
Still managed to find the odd bird shot and slug gun pellet but no gold today.

Very normal when there are storms coming in, the false signals are spikes from lightening the detector gets crazy noisy.
cheers
Lee

I can see how being so close to house can make it wabble but the strong false signal every 3 seconds got too much. wasnt sure if i had a signal or not half the time.

I sometimes come across this with the 5000 when I'm near underground phone lines. Power lines don't bother me much as I can usually set the machine up to ignore most of the interference.

Cheers

If it is happening every 2-3 seconds consistently you can bet there is an electric fence within a few hundred metres.

They work by pulsing a high voltage charge every few seconds, i couldn't get away from it at a spot i detected once, changed coils and later realised the fence was causing it.
Ask the property owner to turn it off while you detect.

If it's not a fence it's probably an underground phone line.
Reeko

I had the same false spikes for the last hour I operated my SDC at Hill End, don't think there was a storm in the area and is was more inconsistent than yours, about 20secs for me. Got the shits with it so I packed up and went home.

It have had some falsing brushing up against brush but this was a real cracker of a short loud signal. I figured it was interference from something but will need to get out again to confirm that the machine does not have a problem.

Reeks said:
If it is happening every 2-3 seconds consistently you can bet there is an electric fence within a few hundred metres.

They work by pulsing a high voltage charge every few seconds, i couldn't get away from it at a spot i detected once, changed coils and later realised the fence was causing it.
Ask the property owner to turn it off while you detect.

If it's not a fence it's probably an underground phone line.
Reeko

there were horses in the next paddock but i took no notice of the fence. probably spot on the mark there reeks. Didn't think of that.
Now that i think of it the signal was stronger on one side of the paddock than the other.

Reeko is spot on Greg, electric fence buggered my day detecting too once, was a big deep pulse every few seconds, total PITA. I was with Reeko when he found the underground Telstra cable at Hill End :) , made a really chatty sound.

I've had some weird EMI problems on some days with my SDC while others I were detecting with machines were fine, vice versa also. I've found sometimes you need to do several noise cancels in a row to get it to find a quiet channel. Sometimes even lay the detector on the ground and doing a noise cancel can help.

Heatho said:
Reeko is spot on Greg, electric fence buggered my day detecting too once, was a big deep pulse every few seconds, total PITA. I was with Reeko when he found the underground Telstra cable at Hill End :) , made a really chatty sound.

I've had some weird EMI problems on some days with my SDC while others I were detecting with machines were fine, vice versa also. I've found sometimes you need to do several noise cancels in a row to get it to find a quiet channel. Sometimes even lay the detector on the ground and doing a noise cancel can help.

Thanks mate. I will try laying the detector on the ground next time. I used the noise cancel many times today but it had no effect.

Yeah with an electric fence there is not much you can do except turn it off. Though other types of EMI it can help get rid of, just not on the first go sometimes. Remember to ground balance too after each noise cancel, I find I still need to ground balance a bit sometimes to keep it stable.

What gain have you been running at? I normally only use 2 or 3.

Mate my machine was going ballistic when there was a storm in the distance tried everything to settle it down frustrated I just turn it off was going to ring minelab the next day,To find out if this was normal anyway the storm had past the next day try it again it was quite as and this is in the middle of the suburbs
So just put it down to the storm
Regards,
Mick

Tried to use 3 but had to go down to 2 or 1 at times. Only had to go down to 1 when a few semi trailers would go by. As for ground balancing im in the habbit of doing it every 30 seconds or so.

Latest posts