Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting phenomena, definitely a repeatable pulse. I haven't struck that before.

It might have been an ant juggling a 5oz nugget at 20" deep :rolleyes:

Retirement Stone said:
I now run with 4 sensitivity and 4 LEDs on the threshold. Learning to ignore the erratic threshold and listening for that raised tone that indicates a target. Might try 5 and 5 Next outing.

Sometime it goes stupid, so I turn it off and on again, a reboot if you like. Seems to restore the machine.
I run on 4 & drop to 3 if needed but leave the threshold on 3 LED's. Through the booster I now have it running very stable using the boosters volume control. Today it was unbelievably stable but I was in a fairly isolated area with no spherics about today & minimal external interference. Had the odd plane go over but barely noticeable. Slow day on the gold though - only one today but the 100% record is still going :)
Mine only goes silly for a reason - storm, too close to another machine etc. & will usually only chuck a wobbly once you put the coil in the air when you stop to dig a target etc. Re-tune, ground balance & it's right to go.

Mine went off like a siren 1 day almost like severe feedback that quickly oscillated, had to do several noise cancels and restart a few times until it settled, Shauno had a similar thing happen one day also. Another day Shauno's would not settle, he had a break for an hour and was all good again. Mine did the same thing 2 days later.

These were pretty odd problems but both detectors work perfectly and find tiny Gold. Could be the batteries as I have not upgraded them yet, it has done the auto restart thing a few times due to the contacts, maybe the siren thing is a half a restart by the battery contacts slipping/moving and not giving a steady voltage. Will upgrade batteries and see if the occasional weirdness stops. I remember you upgraded batteries didnt you Matt?

Heatho said:
I remember you upgraded batteries didnt you Matt?
I got a set of cheap Tenergy rechargeable batteries. The power off issue doesn't or hasn't occurred with them at all. I still use the Powerizer rechargeables though but I am now very careful when putting them in I.e. I make sure the contacts are clean, put them in slowly with the machine straight up & ensure the cap is push straight down firmly then tightened/closed. Used the Powerizers for half the day yesterday with no issues at all. The machine even rolled over & down the edge of a heap & never done the restart thing.
I do use the Tenergy ones mostly, if they're charged - had forgotten to take them out to charge hence using the Powerizer for half a day. :lol: Good to have back ups!
Both sets last well & I get about 1.5 detecting days out of them. I'm not sure these issues are battery related - they all sound specific to area infrastructure/electric installation, EMI or spheric activity related to me?

Edit: p.s if it were my machine doing it regularly as a minimum I would be contacting Minelab to get their opinion. They aren't the big, bad wolf some make them out to be & their service department is A1. I would assume that they would prefer to know of any issues rather than not know. Even send a link to the vids & see what they say? Can't hurt & they may just have a simple fix or explanation?

mbasko said:
Heatho said:
I remember you upgraded batteries didnt you Matt?
I got a set of cheap Tenergy rechargeable batteries. The power off issue doesn't or hasn't occurred with them at all. I still use the Powerizer rechargeables though but I am now very careful when putting them in I.e. I make sure the contacts are clean, put them in slowly with the machine straight up & ensure the cap is push straight down firmly then tightened/closed. Used the Powerizers for half the day yesterday with no issues at all. The machine even rolled over & down the edge of a heap & never done the restart thing.
I do use the Tenergy ones mostly, if they're charged - had forgotten to take them out to charge hence using the Powerizer for half a day. :lol: Good to have back ups!
Both sets last well & I get about 1.5 detecting days out of them. I'm not sure these issues are battery related - they all sound specific to area infrastructure/electric installation, EMI or spheric activity related to me?

Edit: p.s if it were my machine doing it regularly as a minimum I would be contacting Minelab to get their opinion. They aren't the big, bad wolf some make them out to be & their service department is A1. I would assume that they would prefer to know of any issues rather than not know. Even send a link to the vids & see what they say? Can't hurt & they may just have a simple fix or explanation?

No it's not a regular issue, just once or twice a couple of weird things, nothing that has concerned me, you're probably right about conditions, was in the same place that both detectors did it. Mine runs very nicely, still very happy with it. Minelab are great to deal with, lost a metal pin from the armrest and they sent one out the same day, got it 2 days later.

The restarts are just random and very few have happened, I will get the Tenergy batteries though.

Cheers

Hi. Guys. Just my two bobs worth, but personally, now the 7000 is out and about I can't see Mlab giving the option of a bigger coil for the sdc. It may well be that the sdc may come close to performance of the GPZ with a larger coil fitted. Who Knows? If that were the case it would undoubtedly effect sales of the new machine. What I can't understand though is all the petty bickering that goes on about this stuff. I joined this forum to learn and participate in helping all for the benefit of all in this most interesting hobby we all share a passion for. If somebody wants to open their machine to make a mod, then it's their risk. They don't have to do it.! Why all the secrecy??? How hard can it be to answer a simple question?? We are all friends aren't we??? Life should be all about having fun. I don't even own an SDC. But if I did and managed to make a bigger coil on it, I'd be more than happy to tell you all how I did it! At the end of the day. Life's too short!...Your Friend...Ronnie ;)

Hi all,

I have been studying the comments on the forum now for 3 months trying to work out which machine to purchase ( almost in overload now).

I believe I have come to the decision that the 2300 is best fit for me ( 60 yrs old with arthritis and bung knee lol.)

Some of my reasons are:-

Seems to be very easy to use ( basic switch on and go)

Compact/ waterproof

By all accounts very good on smaller bits ( and from what I can tell there are lots more small bits than big)

I understand that it probably will get a max depth of maybe 2 feet on a large target ( I don't see myself digging very deep holes due to the arthritis and will no doubt need knee pads.)

I have used one for a few hours but only found lead pellets / bits of iron etc and intend on hiring one again before my final decision.

A couple of questions that you may be able to help with

Is a full size pick a better option than say a shorter handled pick.?

Does anyone else use kneepads and if so what type/brand do you find best?

I am in the south east burbs of Melb so will no doubt be going to the GT

Any comments will be helpfull

Thanks in anticipation :)

I find knee pads a total pain in the arse unless you are used to using them.even the good ones still make your pants scrunxh up behind the knees and ride up.my personal best choice and recomendation would be to go down to your nearest work safety supplies/clothing store and purchase one or two pairs of tradesmens work pants that already have the rubber knee pad sewn into them way more comfortable to walk in and get on one knee with.they usually come in navy blue for mechanical trades or that sandy colour you see carpenters in.I think the carpenters pants would look better in the bush environment but I wear the blue ones.as for picks if you are only looking at the SDC a small to medium is way ample for your needs,expecialy for the depth you will be chasing your gold in and lighter, unless you are gunna dig to china with the new gpz7000. ;) I would keep the big pick at home Hope I was able to help good luck, kim

I agree with K man.
Knee pads are a bloody nuisance unless they are sewn in to the pants.
But you will need some to save your knees...you will spend a lot of time on one knee with the SDC.

And a light pick is all you will need to scrape and dig shallow holes.

agree - I wear reinforced knee overalls (full sleeve in winter, bib and brace in summer). don't forget your boots!! non steel cap elastic sided are the best IMO. I prefer Redbacks. The sides of the boots cop a hammering from scraping the ground for surface rubbish and clearing rocks and branches. Picks really are a personal preference and trial and error is usually the best teacher. You can get quite good small prospectors picks.

A rabbit setters pick with long handle (you have to fit it yourself, simmilar to a mattock handle so basic wood working needed and a hammer wedge and 2 pack epoxy glue) will do the job and make a handy walking stick.
Recovering target you should not have to get on you hands and knees, I don't.
I am an (r below knee) amputee with buggered back and shoulder.
This is the recovery method I use.
Goto bunning and buy a wide mouth plastic fiskars garden hand shovel/tool. unscrew the orange bit on the end, epoxy a piece of 19mm pvc pipe into scoop (can be bought by the metre) , buy or better yet if you have some angle pvc joiners cut said 19 mm pvc pipe to suit a joint (not that sort) and angle up using PVC glue. Using your offcut pvc 19mm make a shaft and handle for your scoop. Another angle at the top for your handle.
If you get the deep round fiskars scoop (I heartily recommend them) at the blade end remove about an inch maybe 3/4 using a bench grinder from the shovelling end so its flat/straight across as its easier to use scooping along the ground. Put a 45 degree blade edge on the bottom side of the scoop.
Stand to recover.
Locate your target in the spoil, scoop out where you think it is (standing up) wave over or under your coil it doesn't matter if its not in first go.
If it isnt you have 2 piles that it could be in.
Coil over one pile then the other, scoop repeat.
Easy as recovery and no up and down like a brides nightgown.
Once located in scoop, place the contents on your coil and use this as your sorting tray with shaft over your shoulder.
Remember no wedding rings/jewelry near coil, so I use shaft over left should right hand recovering/sorting left hand stabilizing shaft.
I use velcro and those broom holders that spring open (Bunnings) that are supposed to be screwed on the wall to hold brooms and mops etc. I velcro these onto my harness if you don't wear a harness, a canvas army bag or even a belt or just the belt keeper, click it on your non dominant (not detecting side) and you even wont know it there until you need it. Must be sprayed matt black, I don't write the rules just use them to my advantage. ;)
Thats how I do it,
Works for me.
Oz

ADDENDUM RECOVERY METHOD USING ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^
Using your pick scrap top layer about a foot towards you, sweep that scrap, if nothing there use the side of pick pull the scrapings towards you another 8 or so inches to create a clean area between target and spoil.
Scrape/pick out more ground and these should be scrapped in a bowl like configuration to allow for an even to the surface sweep.
Scrap to clean area check spoil, if it isn't in there drag back to the first spoil pile. Doing it this way allows for accurate thorough recovery.
With an SDC the most sensitive areas are the 12 9 and 3 o'clock areas on your coil so an inch of black or white skidplate tape at these points will enable out you visualise the orientation of the target faster.
Push coil in from you (front) of target to just heard, take coil back, then come in from left then right to pinpoint the target accurately.
I hope this helps.
Oz

I don't kneel to recover a target either. If it's possible just crouch down in the squat position to recover targets. Easier to stand back up too.

My old bosses wife came up with a cracker of an idea. Every now and then as painters we were on the concrete floors to enamel skirting boats. Knee pads are cumbersome but after a day on the concrete it seemed like the best solution. Upon complaining one day his wife took an old pair of overalls and used the pockets sewn to another pair in the knees upside down (opening towards the boots). Insert foam of your liking and presto instant knee pads when needed.

Removed they don't get anything in them and because the kneeling action pushes them up they stay in all day. Hot days you could put the inserts in the back pocket until you needed them.

To this day my whites have knee pockets.

last week at the Annaconda sale I bought some heavy duty Hard Yakka work pants with the knee pad sockets in them.

Should double up as extra snake protection as well

1427157073_image.jpg

Wally69 said:
last week at the Annaconda sale I bought some heavy duty Hard Yakka work pants with the knee pad sockets in them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1427157073_image.jpg

Yep I have these also. You can insert whatever padding you want; sewn section at top and velcro at the bottom. Because of the heavy duty nature of the material, it adds an extra layer of padding, and I will often use as is, rather than insert padding.

Rob

Wally69 said:

I use these as well. I use some old wetsuit material for knee inserts. I got a $10 wetsuit at a garage sale and just cut myself some kneepads out of it. They slide on and off easily, when I need them.

Latest posts