Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 battery packs the standard rechargeable pack the standard aa pack and a RNB pack that came with the detector. I have found that the standard rechargeable good enough once it flat I just pop in the AA pack for the rest of the day. If I am away I use a small invertor to charge the standard rechargeable and starting fresh the next morning and keeping the AA just for a back up.
RNB I feel for the money they do not give you enough detecting time, its good they charge from 12v and 240v.
Has anyone looked a running 9 AA recharge batteries in the standard holder is it possible
regards john :)

Energizer batteries are 1.5 volts not 1.8 data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf so voltage is only 12.00 I can confirm the TDI Pro & regular get better depth at 18 volts. Afraid to try 21.6 in mine. Know nothing about the SPP, PI like power wither you can use it without a lot of noise is the issue. The rnb are only 10.8 volt for the SL
I know it says 12. but 3.6 x 3 is 10.8 peak charge is 4.2 x 3, 12.6 volts but it drops to 10.8 pretty fast. With the SL they get better depth with the AA at 12 volts 1.5 x 8

A battery tray holding 10 x 1.2 NiMh AA cells have made to fit /use in the SPP......capasity 12v -1900 mAh or 12v-2450Mah eneloop cells.

Also tested and used successfully is in the SPP, a flat 8 cell side by side .....ie. 4 x 3.6v 2400mAh Li-Ion (18650) cells in series and a second set in parallel, giving 14.4v @ 4800mAh.

Both battery packs slide in just like original battery.

reidman said:
Energizer batteries are 1.5 volts not 1.8 data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf so voltage is only 12.00 I can confirm the TDI Pro & regular get better depth at 18 volts. Afraid to try 21.6 in mine. Know nothing about the SPP, PI like power wither you can use it without a lot of noise is the issue. The rnb are only 10.8 volt for the SL
I know it says 12. but 3.6 x 3 is 10.8 peak charge is 4.2 x 3, 12.6 volts but it drops to 10.8 pretty fast. With the SL they get better depth with the AA at 12 volts 1.5 x 8

I would not take anything they say on their web site as Gospel My $650.00 Multi Meter Says Energizer Lithium AAAs Put out 1.83 Volts and The Standard Energizers AAAs put out 1.6166 Volts, The Lithium AAs make the best Back up Power and unlike normal Energizer and Duracells they WILL NOT LEAK, and they will work in Temps of -40 to +55c and have A Shelf Life of 10 Years.

And Those 18650s that are 3100mah that are meant to be 3.7 Volts, I charged them 5 weeks ago and now they read 4.1687 Volt and they have sat here doing nothing since I charged them 5 weeks Ago,

nesral said:
Also tested and used successfully is in the SPP, a flat 8 cell side by side .....ie. 4 x 3.6v 2400mAh Li-Ion (18650) cells in series and a second set in parallel, giving 14.4v @ 4800mAh.

And how long did the 4800mah Last?? that Sound Like A Good Idea?? Yes?

nesral said:
A battery tray holding 10 x 1.2 NiMh AA cells have made to fit /use in the SPP......capasity 12v -1900 mAh or 12v-2450Mah eneloop cells.

Hi Nesral,
I'm looking to up my SPP's battery voltage for better depth, so would be interested to know where to get hold of the above battery packs. Are they modified standard packs or purpose built for the SPP ?

Cheers Adrian.

nesral said:
Battery info seen on AMD&RH forum..........Whites TDI Pro and SPP outing.

That guy over there looks like a electronics whizz, has modded the battery box to suit the L- ion batts to suit, be good if I had his skills, would follow suit..... I have heard though that Goldsearch may be developing a replacement higher voltage slip in pack down the track.... I'll be waiting eagerly. :|

Ok Guys, I did a Test with the ole SL without the Head Phone using the Standard 2200 mah pack and I got 4 hours 20 minutes,
Today I set it up running flat out with Head Phones and Energizer 2650 mah rechargables I took the Batteries Fresh out the Charger and Got 6 hours 37 minutes, So after doing the Maths, if I do the Battery MOD then I should get about 7 hours 26 minutes,

Surely that's enough if you Turn it off while you stop for Smoko, Or Lunch ain't it ???,, What do ya reckon??

John

old hand said:
Just got back using the SPP with head phones and a 12x7 NF with the 2900 RNB battery pack got 6 1/2 hours total out of it . I only done 2 hr Friday about 2 1/2 sat and on sunday left it in until the detector did not run ,my back was playing up that's why its spread over 3 days ,and found on gold but it was a good weekend regards john :)

Ok Mate well I am getting about 10 minutes more using 8 X 2650s mah Rechargable Energizers, Now Today me and My Son Just did the Conversion Adding the 9th Battery which Should give you about 13.2 Volts and A Good 8 Hours Plus ???.

We have not Finished it yet as we need to Add the Thermyster and the I will be ready to Rock so I will let you know what the Out Come is Ok, Then I Need A Guinea Pig / Test Pilot, Ok

John

Ok, Right I did the Battery MOD fitting 9 x AA's into my Dry cell Battery Box and I Just have the other metal Tag to Fit so the standard Charger works, Now I put 9 Batteries in to my Charger and while charging the Voltage Reads 13,240 Volts, Then I unplugged the Charger and left the Batteries to Sit for ONE HOUR and the Voltage reads 12.745 Volts and the Batteries are 2700 mah, The other Test I did was using 8 x 2650mah Batteries, I will try and get it sorted for Testing on the Weekend and Let you Know the out come But it looks to me Like this thing is going to run For Over 8 or 9 Hours,

For those of you who Want to do this Conversion I think you would be Wise to Contact PhaseTech (Nenad) and Buy some of his Batteries because He Has Some 2900s for sale which would give you around 10 hours +/- maybe more.

Results So Far:- Standard Factory 2200mah Ni Mh Pack without Head Phone 4 hours 20 Minutes,
Dry Cell Pack Fitted with Energizer 8 X 2650mah @ 11.62 Volts With Head Phones 6 Hours 37 Minutes,
9 X 2700mah Charging @ 13.240 Volts when removed From the charger After An Hour they Read 12.745 Volts,
Please Note that when The Charger was Switched Off the Voltage Reads about 13.191 Volts,

On the Weekend I will Try and Test the Run Time and Get Back To You, But Either Way this Looks Very Promising,

Good Luck,, John

The spp and tdi sl draw a bit over 400mah, by adding extra cells your increasing voltage and that increases current drawn by the detector so you wont really see any extra run time from adding one or two extra cells, the performance will be slightly better but not a lot. I was going to make some high capacity 14 volt battery packs but to be honest the performance increase from my tests was so small I never bothered. I use the factory pack and the dry cell case loaded with 2650mah rechargeable aa's that gives me over nine hours detecting time in theory.

I have noticed that after a couple of hours on the factory battery that I need to slow my sweep speed down even more than normal (to slow tbh) otherwise I WILL miss tiny targets as the response seems to back off, my guess is the lower voltage left in the battery pack is right down near the minimum operating voltage for the detector so this to me may be a better reason for making a higher voltage pack.

Has anyone else noticed how the spp seems to skip over targets unless you slow down more than normal once the battery gets down?

Daryl

Hi Daryl
The higher the voltage,the lower the current.
I have fitted 2 sets 3.7v of lithium ion in parallel,that puts out about 15v fully charged.

Regards Frank

I have tried my SPP with 4 Li-ion batteries and 4 dummy batteries with interesting results. On 0.7g bit of flattish gold and using White's 8 inch mono coil, depth increase with 16V batteries by 1.5 to 2 cm over supplied rechargable batteries pack.
Bigest depth increase about 5cm was with modified Minelab 5x10 DD coil and detector set up to dicriminate everything but goldies. Unfortunately that doesn't do me any good, because I don't dig the coins that are deeper then pinpointer can see.
Please note, I don't recommend to anyone to try run SPP on 16 Volts. If you do it is on your own risk.
Karl

thedigger said:
Hi Daryl
The higher the voltage,the lower the current.
I have fitted 2 sets 3.7v of lithium ion in parallel,that puts out about 15v fully charged.

Regards Frank

How did you comme to this conclusion? I=U/R. R will remain essentially constant (FET output transistor), so as you increase voltage the current must rise.
Karl

Hi Frank
I'm retired electronics technician and trust me, in this case and with most of electronics circuits it works oposite.
What you describe is a situation when the voltage rise the current decrease but only if the load remains constant. With the detector when you increase voltage power output of the coil pulses increase, therefor the current must increase.
If you increase battery voltage to SPP the current will rise and so too will power consumption from the battery.

Karl

Ok, Thanks for the Feed Back Guy's

So I did the test using 9 X 2700s, Voltage Was 12.978v and the Run Time was 6 Hours 38 minutes, The SAME as running 8 X 2650s,

So the factory 2200 mah Pack gives 4 hours 20 minutes and the Extra 450mah of the 2650s gave an Extra 2 hours 18 minutes, So I think it would be A good Idea Get some of those 2900s from PT (Nenad), COULD?? give you about 7 and a half hours,

So Now I am Looking at using A Yuasa 8.5 Ah sealed LA Battery or A 12 Ah, both are the Same size as a SD/GP Battery and one should give about 20 hours and the other close to 30 hours, This will involve using the Dry Cell Pack as A Converter Or hard Wiring A Plug Like the coils Socket to the Control Box So You manage to Keep using the Standard Battery Packs,

Thanks Again,, John

dazza513 said:
The spp and tdi sl draw a bit over 400mah, by adding extra cells your increasing voltage and that increases current drawn by the detector so you wont really see any extra run time from adding one or two extra cells, the performance will be slightly better but not a lot. I was going to make some high capacity 14 volt battery packs but to be honest the performance increase from my tests was so small I never bothered. I use the factory pack and the dry cell case loaded with 2650mah rechargeable aa's that gives me over nine hours detecting time in theory.

I have noticed that after a couple of hours on the factory battery that I need to slow my sweep speed down even more than normal (to slow tbh) otherwise I WILL miss tiny targets as the response seems to back off, my guess is the lower voltage left in the battery pack is right down near the minimum operating voltage for the detector so this to me may be a better reason for making a higher voltage pack.

Has anyone else noticed how the spp seems to skip over targets unless you slow down more than normal once the battery gets down?

Daryl

Yes I have noticed same thing. Also on my SPP when the voltage on supplied battery pack get to almost discharge state the detector starts falsing.
Karl

A new lithium battery is being developed for the SPP at the moment its 60 grams lighter and it is being tested at this time it should be on the market in approximately 2 weeks all going well ,its longer lasting than the standard bat. regards john :)

Latest posts