how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogmatic said:
The GQ is a top 4wd Creekbed. Strong as an ox and easy to fix. The 4.2 is a top motor and will probably see the rest of the car out.
I know that is certainly the case with my GU. The body will fail before the heart.

I dont know where you guys get your facts from, but just look at any major mining company and you will see that they knock out their toyota's in 18 months, on average. How ever the nissan lasts closer to 9 months on average. I'm a 79 series troopy owner x State Emergence Service with all the fruit, 135000kms. Its been all over WA and I've never really needed the four wheel drive aspect, just the higher ground clearance. Drop the oil every 5000kms and spin on a new filter and it'll still be going in ten years time. But dont ask me about the comfort, put a dual axle van behind it rides like a brick shit house. I have since learnt that all these vehicles are spect for towing mobile command centers as new. 4.5ton.

As an aside, I consulted with a well know auto electrition , before buying my troopy and he told me this...If you plan to go bush, particularly through creeks and the like, steer clear of all your late model 4 x 4s. I can get your old manual running if I was there by borrowing some cable from some where else off the vehicle, but anything computerised. Forget it!

Troopy owner myself Bulldog...wouldn't have anything else ...set up with Engle, double bed, pull out draws, side cupboards ...just can't quite fit in the kitchen sink....A "real" home away from home.......Can't fit all this in any other 4wd....sound a bit bias don't I....Cheers Wal. :)

Goldylox said:
Okay - some folk may not count this, but I have & adore my little Terios SX 4x4 diff lock (stop sniggering boys). I've had her from new (9 years now & she looks like a dog covered in faded flower stickers I wish I had never put on her) and she is fantastic out bush, easy to get out of bogs & she can get places bigger vehicles only dream of. I've even taken her up to Cooktown FNQ through boulder creeks in the wet & submerged her many a time up to the windscreen (no snorkel) - eek! She thinks she's a Land Rover on bad smack. The only thing I hate is that my hairdryer has a bigger motor. ;) Wish they still made these little bush bashers with a bit more grunt. She tows a wee caravan & tinny well too. Recently ripped the front seat out to accommodate my wheelchair as I need it on occasions. A bit cramped with a lard assed dog in there & the gear, but we manage well. :)

I was following a Terios the other day and I said to my wife, "I wonder why these things weren't more popular" Should be, decent suspension, dual range, lightweight.

Here's mine just before I dragged the winch cable out. Solo after work drive after a day of rain. Bit silly in hindsight... Had to do two consecutive winches to get unstuck...

430572_3083160952639_141210283_n.jpg

Good pic Ben....pretty keen on your own after rain....must have been a lot of gold at the end of that track .....Cheers Wal. :)

I have a 12yo HSE Rangie. Dual fuel, fairly thirsty around town, not bad on trips. Love it. Need to find a good swing away spare wheel carrier for it. Gas tanks now take up where the spare was.

Jeff

JeffU said:
I have a 12yo HSE Rangie. Dual fuel, fairly thirsty around town, not bad on trips. Love it. Need to find a good swing away spare wheel carrier for it. Gas tanks now take up where the spare was.

Jeff

Right o guys, we really need to get around and support Jeffu, because as the owner of a 12 year old Rangie, the odds are pretty well stacked against him. Maybe we could all send him a $5 fuel voucher or some such. :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

Agreed Bulldog.....
Ive seen first hand the devastation these creatures cause to peoples bank accounts.
Thirsty beasts and they get broken too....lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny guys.
Its easy to tow a couple of 44gal drums behind me.' :lol:

Jeff

This is my rig. Mazda bravo (03), bought with dents (chicks love panel damage), has a 2" lift and muddies.The canopy is a work in progress, it's being turned into my home away from home. Being a work vehicle as well it spends about 80% of it's time being used of road on cattle properties were I make my own tracks most of the time. As you can see by the photo getting bogged has become a regular thing lately. :) Mick
PS: I'm also a land rover fan. My next 4BY will be a early model defender. :)
1362431311_imga0004.jpg

Hey axeman...well done..if your going to get bogged it might as well be right next to the camp. :) great tent those OZ tents ...Cheers Wal. :)

Got a 2000 TRITON D/C but havent really used it -- its more for just in case after the 2WD hilux ute i once used lost traction on wet grass.

Hi All,
I have a 92 model 80 series Landcruiser GXL. I've had it since 2000 and when I bought it it had 265000kms on it. It now has 490000kms on it.
I took it to the Cape last July and before I went with 267000kms on the clock I took the extractors off and turbo'd it.

1Hz with ct26 water cooled turbo, air to water intercooler, 3" full flow exhaust, Warne winch with Dynema rope, Snorkel, TJM full roof basket, Maxxis 285x16 Bighorn Mud terrain tyres, Uniden uhf, Dual batteries, auxiliary battery is a N70z deep cycle, 2" old man emu lift kit.

It gets about 11L/100km around town and less on a trip because it's always loaded up when I go away, normally with a bike trailer and a couple of bikes, all the bike gear, 40L of fuel and all the prospecting gear, and I flog it to death.

Tough as nails!
1363691116_img_2313_640x478.jpg

Theodore Qld on the way up
1363691284_gedc0838_640x480.jpg

At the top of Australia

Cheers
Mick

Geeez Mick....sounds like you need to tow a cruiser behind your cruiser with all that gear...lol...and a trailer behind all that to cart the gold home.... :eek: Sounds like a great prospecting unit with not many more things you could bolt onto it....Cruiser man myself and wouldn't have it any other way...Cheers Wal. :)

Love my 4by, would be lost in everything I do, boat on top, camper trailer on the back, detectors and of course a large fridge. :cool:
1363680005_trip_6.jpg

That large fridge running on empty there Redfin....I quite often have to fill mine up at those "Beer Bowzers" myself....looks like you fossick in 5 star comfort mate..Cheers Wal. :)

Beer Pig said:
Got a 2000 TRITON D/C but havent really used it -- its more for just in case after the 2WD hilux ute i once used lost traction on wet grass.

Oh my God ! just when I thought it could'nt get any worse...A TRITON. Your a brave man Beer Pig. But it should be alright as long as you dont leave town. :lol:

Got myself a Nissan Navara D22
Not a bad little wagon, the photo below shows my eldest boy on his first drive, he was please as punch even though it was only in 1st gear low range.

P1040589.jpg

Now everytime we go out he wants to have a little drive.
Cheers
Brad....

Yeah!!! We've got a few 4wd's at the lease, the best one that the kids love driving around is the Delica!! What a vehicle they are!!!

Latest posts