Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1463302593_20160515_185307.jpg

Gday all, I stumbled across this forum last week and happened to be camping at baffle Creek this weekend, so I took the little fella and a couple of his little mates and had a poke around for about 2 hrs. We found our first real crystals (small but still the real deal) we're pretty chuffed. Can't wait to go back!

Hey all me and my sister took our families up to lowmead on the weekend we had a ball just wondering is there only the one area on Clarks road that everybody digs ?

Yep, just that one spot that's available due to the good heart of the owner. :D
That's why everyone works hard at doing the right thing up there ,... to ensure its perpetuity for one and all. ;)

i was there on the weekend too and heading back this weekend..lowmead is just up the road from me which helps. That must of been you roberth10, i was the guy with the pup that annoyed everyone haha.

Kezz

well rain has set in so have to give Lowmead a miss this weekend... Nice little haul of crystals there :)

This rain was ordered to make it ready for the June School Holidays. :D

Three inches of rain at Lowmead overnight. No more is predicted and tomorrow is forecast to be fine and sunny but the ground will certainly be wet. Whether it's diggable or not is hard to say without actually going. It was very dry for quite a while so the ground might have soaked it up and it might be just damp sand at the crystal layer. Then again, it might be slurry too.

Looks like a few ok bits of purple there wazza/mechia.

Bit too damp for me this weekend, I'll be heading up next Sunday, weather permitting.

Nice haul there wazza/mechia !

Well Rockhound and I went for a dig there today, wasn't too bad. I don't think there had been as much rain as I had near Gladstone. Plus the deep sand soil had been parched for months, probably just soaked it all up like a big sponge. Even the creeks on the Lowmead road had bugger all more water than last weekend. Not much joy with the crystals though, just one or two little bits that might be usable. Oh well, that's fossicking, there's always next time.

The lighter side of Lowmead - and as bloody always, the camera just doesn't see what the eye sees. The real colour does not match either of these photos, it's actually a light Rose de France shade, a light pinkish purple. It's just over a carat, which is a bit bigger than it sounds seeing as quartz is not heavy. Rough stone was found by Rockhound the weekend before last. My favourite design, Jack Rowland's "Arrow".

26866924733_120fbf6c4f_c.jpg

26866939693_5cde3225a4_c.jpg

Cheers mate. Probably about 6 hours all told, not counting waiting for epoxy to cure. I typically cut the pavilion one night then finish the crown the next. Kingsolomon and Rough2cut would no doubt blow that away but I'm starting to get faster with more practice. My first stone was cut in a standard round brilliant, took me a phenomenal amount of time. I can usually knock out an SRB in about 4 hours now. I have to make more use of the fine grinding wheel and #360 flat lap on the cabbing machine for preforming I think. You can preform a small stone very quickly on the faceting machine but it takes some time to preform a larger one, unless the machine has a preforming attachment I guess. Cabbing machine has rather more grunt.

Hi everyone im only new to this addictive hobby they call fossicking and lovin it (well my son and i do..missus not so much lol) I have been to the dig site at lowmead a few times now and got some nice bits. So im in bundaberg and wondering is there many place around this area( if u guys dont mind sharing haha) that me and the family can go find some cool rock/ specimens

Latest posts