⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A day and a bit in the Whipstick with Jungles, MadHatter and Bjay making appearances.

I'll let the others advise of their respective hauls but we all got gold which was nice.

The usual rubbish, 2 bits of gold for me for just over a gram, a coin with barely a blokes head on it and a couple of metal/plastic bullets which I assume are blanks - army training purposes?? Do you have input on that Marksman?

A good time in the bush and nice weather :Y:

1494758266_img_3170.jpg

1494758267_img_3171.jpg

1494758267_img_3172.jpg

Yeah that's them, thanks marksman. I assume they make a bit of noise and blow a bit of powder out the end? One I found had the cap hit by the pin but the end wasn't blown out like the other 2 - a miss fired blank :|

Been to SA a few times paul but never detecting. First time I've found one.

Tiny horse shoes however - I've found 3 of them. Must have been little ponies. Easier to feed I suppose.

Hi Ewan1987,
Welcome to the addictive world of prospecting :D
That's a question and a half.
Taking into account the biggest hurdle, budget - get the best you can afford.
I started 18months ago with an extreme, good starter machine, then upgraded to the SDC2300, now have GPX5000.
Prospecting is an addictive hobby, but rewarding.
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on machine.
This is just my opinion and it works for me.

Cheers,
Paul

Northeast said:
Yeah that's them, thanks marksman. I assume they make a bit of noise and blow a bit of powder out the end? One I found had the cap hit by the pin but the end wasn't blown out like the other 2 - a miss fired blank :|

Been to SA a few times paul but never detecting. First time I've found one.

Tiny horse shoes however - I've found 3 of them. Must have been little ponies. Easier to feed I suppose.

I meant shooting, the state is full of these.
Cheers,
Paul

Ewan1987 said:
Thanks paul ive got a $700 dollar budget to start with
Have a look at the minelab 705 gold pack, they show up on Gumtree every now and again.
Good luck in you quest for the yellow stuff mate.

Paul

1494764597_bfax3.jpg

How blanks work......apart from simulating the "bang!" sound the rifle makes, the blank ammo needs to simulate the the rifle firing standard "ball" ammunition.
As the blank dosnt have a projectile to push out the barrel, a BFA or blank firing attachment is needed to restrict the amount of gas escaping from the barrel. Thats what that red thing in the picture is. It has a kind if plug, that firs into the muzzle of the rifle, which stops all of the gas escaping from the barrel. There is a hole on the top of the barrel, before muzzle, called a gas port. as the gas produced from the powder exploding tries to escape the barrel, it pushes the projectile through the barrel. As the bullet passes the gas port, some of the gas goes through the port, and pushes a piston backwards, the piston slams into the top of the bolt Assembly, which flies backward, re cocking the hammer, ready to fire another round. at the same time, the extractor claw on the bolt removes the spent shell out of the chamber.
Without the BFA, all the gas escapes from the barrel, and the rifle will not re-cock itself.
The 10m danger radius from the barrel, was for the jet of gas coming from the barrel, there was no danger from a projectile as such. Maybe a very small bit of plastic could come from the barrel, but the hole in the BFA, is like a pin hole.

Lol that lesson brings back memories ]:D rookie training
Sorry i should have said more
i was talking about using without a bfa (which was common practice) as such and yes you are so right safety said a bfa must be fitted but was not always done back in the early days now however wh&s is so much stricter
No bfa bigger bang :) :) :)

.....lol, or you could slip half a match stick under the safety sear, and turn it into a full auto 8)

Latest posts