Are electric or petrol water pumps for sluice's legal in VIC ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody and happy new year :) :) Im new to this fourm an to the laws of prospecting in VIC
and the miners right regs are confusing.
Any info on electric or petrol water pumps for sluice's being legal in VIC would be great.. THANKS :cool:

the use of pumps are fine for running water.
but not for moving gravel eg. ( dredge )
the laws of prospecting can be confusing at times, and i guess its good to check before getting into trouble for it

G'day everyone.
I tell you what...I'm well and truly gold bug bitten. :D
This is my first post and I just want to clarify some rules before I get out there and join the ranks of the amateur fossicker.

I am close enough to the Victorian golden triangle, and suppose that's where my hobby will take me.

I would like to use a 12v pump to re-circulate the water I'm running. Most likely in a sluice. To my understanding this is OK.
I like the idea of using some electric motor to run a..."spinning dry/wet bowl trommel" type set up. This is OK.
A dredge in any form, regardless of the grey areas and tension it seems to cause in this forum: IS NOT OK.
My understanding is "the only material you can process is material you manually removed with hand tools". Am I CORRECT?

I've been to the links and seen all the available licenses but I find you pros make it clearer...
What exactly will I need in terms of permits? Just a miners right, then I can go chill in the golden triangle?

Other than that, I'm pumped to be here guys. Seems to be a very helpful and knowledgable society of clever cookies.

Ladies and gentlemen I thank you,
Terence.

Ps: I can't wait to post my record breaking nugget when I find it. 70 plus kilograms is going to be hard to carry, but I think I'll find a way ;).

All correct, just need a miners rights, and print out a river exemption list then you cant go wrong, good luck mate. Balx

Latest posts